The Greatest Of The Greatest Hits CD's

Skairipa Matrix

3 Time Elite Openweight Champion
I got this topic idea last night and thought it could lead to some fun discussion. As we all know there is a million greatest hits CD's out there and i'm sure we all have our favorites of those. But the question is, To you which Greatest Hits CD is the best?

I happen to own a few of these including Eminem and Aerosmith. But for me my favorite greatest hits CD's comes from possibly my favorite band ever...

Def Leppard!
Here's the track listing for it in case any of you would like to see it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault:_Def_Leppard_Greatest_Hits_(1980%E2%80%931995)#Track_listing

Before purchasing this I knew about half the songs on their but after purchasing it I enjoy all the songs on it. I haven't heard a bad greatest hits CD but this one would have to be my all-time favorite. So with that said, What is your favorite Greatest Hits CD?

Someone bought me Nas' Greatest Hits album for Christmas a few years ago, and I was PISSED, when I didn't see Hip Hop Is Dead on the track listing. I enjoyed most of it, but I already have some of the tracks on separate albums. Although, I would've been a real ungrateful prick if I complained, so I bit my tongue this one time.

Still, you don't put Hip Is Dead on a Nas Greatest Hits album? Seriously??? Of course, I just downloaded the song after a while. I thought about buying the actual Hip Hop Is Dead album, but one of my cousins told me it was a piece of shit, and I trust his opinion.

Hollywood Nightmare, you picked an excellent band, but I must ask you this.... Have you heard Rock of Ages, the newer 2 disc collection of their hits?

Rock_of_Ages.jpg

Vault is good but Rock of Ages quite simply puts it to shame. Every album from 1980's "On Through The Night" up through 2006's "Yeah!" is represented by at least one track. The first disc is identical to Vault but with the addition of two more tracks, then you also have a second disc full of other great hits. There's a couple of gems missing such as Desert Song or Gods of War, but they included nearly all of the band's best material. If you haven't checked it out already then I highly recommend it.

There's not a single bad track on there, check out the track listing:

Disc 1
1 - Pour Some Sugar on Me (Historia Video Edit)
2 - Photograph
3 - Love Bites
4 - Let's Get Rocked
5 - Two Steps Behind (Acoustic Version)
6 - Animal
7 - Heaven Is
8 - Foolin'
9 - Rocket (Visualize Video Edit)
10 - When Love & Hate Collide
11 - Armageddon It
12 - Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad
13 - Rock of Ages
14 - Hysteria
15 - Miss You in a Heartbeat
16 - Bringin' on the Heartbreak
17 - Switch 625

Disc 2
1 - Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)
2 - Let It Go
3 - High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)
4 - Too Late for Love
5 - No Matter What (Badfinger cover)
6 - Promises
7 - Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)
8 - Women
9 - Another Hit and Run
10 - Slang
11 - Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion)
12 - Rock Brigade
13 - Now
14 - Paper Sun
15 - Work It Out
16 - Die Hard the Hunter
17 - Wasted
18 - Billy's Got a Gun

A couple of runners up for me include Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits from 2010 (the 2 disc version is incredible) and Journey's The Essential Journey. Both of them feature fantastic collections of music by their respective bands and round out my top tier of greatest hits CD's along with Def Leppard's Rock Of Ages being my favorite.

Hollywood Nightmare, you picked an excellent band, but I must ask you this.... Have you heard Rock of Ages, the newer 2 disc collection of their hits?

Rock_of_Ages.jpg

Vault is good but Rock of Ages quite simply puts it to shame. Every album from 1980's "On Through The Night" up through 2006's "Yeah!" is represented by at least one track. The first disc is identical to Vault but with the addition of two more tracks, then you also have a second disc full of other great hits. There's a couple of gems missing such as Desert Song or Gods of War, but they included nearly all of the band's best material. If you haven't checked it out already then I highly recommend it.

There's not a single bad track on there, check out the track listing:

Disc 1
1 - Pour Some Sugar on Me (Historia Video Edit)
2 - Photograph
3 - Love Bites
4 - Let's Get Rocked
5 - Two Steps Behind (Acoustic Version)
6 - Animal
7 - Heaven Is
8 - Foolin'
9 - Rocket (Visualize Video Edit)
10 - When Love & Hate Collide
11 - Armageddon It
12 - Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad
13 - Rock of Ages
14 - Hysteria
15 - Miss You in a Heartbeat
16 - Bringin' on the Heartbreak
17 - Switch 625

Disc 2
1 - Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)
2 - Let It Go
3 - High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)
4 - Too Late for Love
5 - No Matter What (Badfinger cover)
6 - Promises
7 - Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)
8 - Women
9 - Another Hit and Run
10 - Slang
11 - Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion)
12 - Rock Brigade
13 - Now
14 - Paper Sun
15 - Work It Out
16 - Die Hard the Hunter
17 - Wasted
18 - Billy's Got a Gun

A couple of runners up for me include Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits from 2010 (the 2 disc version is incredible) and Journey's The Essential Journey. Both of them feature fantastic collections of music by their respective bands and round out my top tier of greatest hits CD's along with Def Leppard's Rock Of Ages being my favorite.

I bought my dad that Bon Jovi one for Christmas and it was quite good I put all the songs onto my iTunes. I hadn't heard of this new greatest hits CD from Def Leppard but now I want it! lol I may have to check this out on Amazon in a few months as right now all my money is going into my vacation fund.

I bought my dad that Bon Jovi one for Christmas and it was quite good I put all the songs onto my iTunes. I hadn't heard of this new greatest hits CD from Def Leppard but now I want it! lol I may have to check this out on Amazon in a few months as right now all my money is going into my vacation fund.

It's not "new" technically.... It came out in 2005, but it's much more recent than Vault since over ten years passed in between Vault and Rock of Ages. I was a freshman in college at the time and I recall seeing the commercials for it on tv when it was getting released. It remained a staple in my playlists for my entire college career and has safely secured my choice as the best greatest hits album. You won't regret it! No Def Leppard fan should be without it and it's an awesome listen for any fan of classic rock in general. :)

Oasis' "Time Flies'" is on my phone in its entirety. Sometimes when I'm bored in college or at work I pop in my earphones and, no pun intended, time flies. It was released in 2010 a few months after their break-up, but before that was "Stop the Clocks," which I also have. One of the things I find sketchy and kind of low is that they released "Stop the Clocks," then released "Time Flies'" with only one other album recorded which wasn't all that great.

Either way, guess the Gallagher's are savvy businessmen.

Nirvana's "Nirvana".

The release of this album not only compiled the hits from all their albums (correctly ignoring the abortion that is Muddy Banks) but the most important thing about it was that we heard a new Nirvana song for the first time in nearly a decade.

You Know You're Right was a fitting final song for both Kurt and the band as it followed their usual loud/quiet/loud formula coupled with a mixture of contradicting, ambiguous and nonsense lyrics,
"It's so warm and calm inside
I no longer have to hide
Let’s talk about someone else
Steaming soup begins to melt"

Plus the rest of the songs aren't too shabby either.

Oasis' "Time Flies'" is on my phone in its entirety. Sometimes when I'm bored in college or at work I pop in my earphones and, no pun intended, time flies. It was released in 2010 a few months after their break-up, but before that was "Stop the Clocks," which I also have. One of the things I find sketchy and kind of low is that they released "Stop the Clocks," then released "Time Flies'" with only one other album recorded which wasn't all that great.

Either way, guess the Gallagher's are savvy businessmen.

"Stop The Clocks" is more of a "best of" collection, with tracks on there that weren't released as singles, while "Time Flies" is a collection of all the singles Oasis released- so there is a difference. However, most big fans of the band will have all these tracks already.

I own both of them as I have ever album, single and DVD they ever released, and I would have much preferred it if they had put a couple of unreleased tracks on at least one of the CDs- Noel actually released the song "Stop The Clocks" on his solo album- why wasn't that on the greatest hits complilation of that name?? It was written years before. Same with Noel's "(I Wanna) Live In A Dream In My Record Machine", that was an Oasis song which he put on his High Flying Birds solo work. Bit annoying really, I bet The Chief has loads of classics hidden away that we haven't heard yet.

However, back on topic...I think "Time Flies" is probably the best one for me. Pretty much every single Oasis ever released is top quality for me. These songs defined a generation and there are more to choose from than on "Stop The Clocks". My own personal Oasis Best Of CD would feature songs like "Columbia", "Turn Up The Sun", "Slide Away", "My Big Mouth" etc which were never singles so its not a perfect collection, but its still fucking amazing.

A close second would be "The Very Best Of The Stone Roses"- now that is an incredible collection. From just 2 proper albums, The Roses have made and almost perfect greatest hits CD. Every track is ranges from very good to classics like "I Wanna Be Adored" , "She Bangs The Drums", "This Is The One" and "I Am The Resurrection".

I thouroughly recommend that CD to any music fan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back