The Greatest Hockey Tournament Ever

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
2010 gave us three major hockey tournaments that pitted Canada against the Americans, Canada won two, and America won one.

Every year, there are plenty of hockey tournaments in the world, and just like every tournament, there is a story. Tournaments can be like the playoffs that the NHL puts forth each and every year, the KHL has one, the AHL, OHL, CHL, and so many others. Then there are the IIHF tournaments, such as the Under 18 tournament, the World Championship, or the World Cup. We also just saw the Olympics which always has a great tournament for hockey. Another one of my favourites is the Spengler Cup from Davos each year. But this isn't just for certain tournaments, which is the greatest single tournament?

I would be silly to think that the 1980 Miracle on Ice wont be brought up here, being an American forum, and being that it was the biggest event in American hockey of all time, surpassing the forgotten 1960 Olympic Gold win.

Hockey in Canada was a strange time in the 1970s. After Canada refused to play in that decades Olympics after not having their best players allowed, due to the Olympics being for Amateurs only, despite the Soviets icing teams that were of course Professional, part of the Red Army team. 1972 was Canada's chance to show how poor those Russians were against the Canadian Pros. The Summit Series pitted the good guys versus the bad guys, eight games to determine the best team. But as you all should know, it did not turn out that way as Canada just won 4-3-1. It grew Soviet Hockey, and forced Canada to rethink its position as a hockey power.

But that is not my choice for the best tournament. The best tournament had to be the year 0 TM, also known as 1987. There is a tournament in existance called the World Cup of Hockey, but it used to be called the Canada Cup.

Imagine the two greatest hockey players of all time. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Now put them on a line together, put Messier, Coffey, Murphy, Bourque and many others on that line and you have a fucking incredible team.

And they were a good team, just not as great as possible. The reason? Well, those damn Soviets were up to no good again. But like 1972, they would meet at the end of the tournament to once and for all decide the greatest hockey team on earth.

Finals for the Canada Cup were there games long, and I am sure glad they are, as Canada lost the first game. But losing the game is simple to say. Canada lost the game, but forced overtime after being down 4-1. That is exciting hockey. Game two would follow suit from the pace of game one, as Canada would be in the overtime period with the Soviets. This time, it took two overtime periods as Canada had the score flipped, winning 6-5. So two games, 22 goals, and we would need that third game, just like WWE writers would require. Another exciting game, with the score ending up being 5-5 with little time remaining in the third, looked like it was about to become the 3rd straight 6-5 game in overtime, an exciting way to end the tournament.

Some call it one of the best plays in hockey history. And what a way to win a game, that featured about 20 dives by the Russians, in a game wher ethe refs just finally decided to let them play hockey.

Wow, there are a lot of choices to pick here, TM. How dare you make me choose. 1987 was indeed a great tournament that showcased some of the best players in the world. The games were damn exciting and it pitted two fierce rivals in the end, Canada and the Soviets. I wasn't even born yet and every time I see those clips and highlights it sends shivers down my spine. That was great hockey right there.

I don't think I can sit here and actually choose one tournament because so many have garnered different reactions and emotions from me. The World Juniors are always a fun and exciting tournament and it truly is a staple for me and my friends/family around Christmas time. Even the World Championship is fun to watch even if there may not be as much star power sometimes. International Hockey is always a treat because we get to see hockey players from all over the world and outside of the NHL and it really helps bring attention to the sport.

If I had to pick the greatest hockey tournament then I think I could go for either the 2002 or 2010 Olympics, homer pick of course, but what did you expect. I was only 12 at the time of the 2002 Olympics, but I can vividly remember the events of that tournament. The rough start against Sweden, the emergence of Brodeur over Joseph, the Czech game that set Gretzky off, and the gold medal game against the States. That truly was a memorable tournament. 2010 holds a special place already and for several reasons.

1. It was in Canada and what better place to showcase our hockey than in our own backyard.
2. I'm 20 now so I'm at a age where I can get fully engulfed in the tournament. I know more about the game, about the other countries, and about Team Canada.
3. Redemption for the Turin Olympics and the embarrassing finish we had.

In 2010 it had a similar feel to it with 2002. A shaky performance by Brodeur and a loss brings in a new goaltender in Luongo. Because of the loss, Canada has a longer journey to the gold medal game and they have to go through Russia, the game may people thought would be played in the finals. A huge rivalry and a tough test, but Canada prevailed. Going on to face a upstart Slovakian team who took down defending champions Sweden. A scary finish, but Canada holds on to face the States in the final and a chance to avenge the earlier loss. In 2002, it was the US who had home ice and Canada came in to take the gold. In 2010, Canada had home ice and you know the US would love nothing more than ruin it for the Canadians. An amazing game comes down to overtime because of Parise's late game heroics. Frantic pace in the extra frame and Crosby puts home the gold medal winning goal. It was the perfect end to quite possibly the best tournament. The expectations, the pressure, the atmosphere, the players, everything was setup for a Canada win and they came through in the end.

Honourable mentions: 2004 World Juniors, Summit Series, 1987 Canada Cup.

Each tournament brings its own importance and each one has a special place in a lot of people's hearts. I don't think one tournament is necessarily better than the others, but a lot of factors come it play. 2002 and 2010 are always going to hold a special place in my heart because I personally experienced them. The older generations will always have the Summit Series and the Canada Cup because they witnessed the magic they brought. We appreciate and understand the importance of those tournaments and video helps us witness what they did, but being able to take part in the tournament and get emotionally invested in them is a huge factor in a debate like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back