The greatest bassist of all time.

El Rev sXe

If you have ghosts...
This isn't my opinon, it's an actual list. Here's the link:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-25-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-279007/25#content

I want to read your opinions, if you think that someone was missed, if you don't agree about someone being on the list, that the #1 shouldn't be #1, or that you think that the rating is perfect! Who knows?

Personally, I ALWAYS thought of John Myung as the BEST bassist ever! I mean, when I heard DT and tried to learn some songs in bass. I couldn't fucking do it, and I still can't. This guy is too great! However I think that Steve Harris and John Paul Jones needs to be a little higher. Those guys can be as good as anyone, and they don't need to do tapping or other technical bs to prove it.

Anyway, just my thoughts, how about yours?

I think lists/polls like these are utimately stupid and a waste of everyone's time. There is no objective way to definitively decide something as opinion based as "The Greatest Bassist of All Time". Nor can you control for the extraneous variables that the voters bring to the table making the whole thing a bit of a sham. Worse yet the "meaningful discussion" polls/contests like this are meant to generate usually devolves into petty bickering, juvenile insults, and all around general idiocy (see the "waste of time" portion as mentioned above).

I think lists/polls like these are utimately stupid and a waste of everyone's time. There is no objective way to definitively decide something as opinion based as "The Greatest Bassist of All Time". Nor can you control for the extraneous variables that the voters bring to the table making the whole thing a bit of a sham. Worse yet the "meaningful discussion" polls/contests like this are meant to generate usually devolves into petty bickering, juvenile insults, and all around general idiocy (see the "waste of time" portion as mentioned above).

Your opinion man. The point here is not to determine who is "the greatest bassist of all time", but rather to know. You know there might be people than will bring some names that aren't on that list. The point is that you could know/learn/hear some bassist that you didn't know. There was a couple on the list that I dind't knew about. That is the point of these forums right? Debate, not to arrive to some conclusion, but only to debate. It's stupid? Yes. It's a popularity contest? Yes. But that doesn't mean that we can't read other people's opinion.

This should be retitled 'Your Favourite Bassist' namely because everyone has their own opinion on who their favourite is and they give reasons anyway.

My favourite bassist is undoubtedly Michael Balzary, who the hell is that you ask well it is

157965213_c7bc25057e.jpg

Yup its Flea.

Flea is phenomenal, the Red Hot Chili Peppers would not be the same without him, listen the start of Higher Ground or the basslines in Suck My Kiss and Give It Away, he's an integral part of the band.

[
YOUTUBE]7gs2o5T7oN8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NHZctaLrmRc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]O7CXqFiEP-Y&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Another one of my favourite bassists is the phenomenal Cliff Burton

cliff-burton.jpg

The guy had a lead abss style whic was unheard of, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich brought him into Metallica because they thought he was awesome, in fact they thought he was playing a guitar until they realised it was a bass.

His signature bass solo Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) is just awesome because it sounds so great.

[YOUTUBE]d_c0Q5IRets[/YOUTUBE]

Speaking as someone who was a bassist for a while, it's really not very hard to play the bass. Probably easier than being a drummer. As for most impressive and difficult display that I've ever heard? That's easy - the ten seconds or so after 1:00 on this video, which is played on a fretless bass -

However in terms of actually driving a song forward and making stuff interesting, I think I'd probably go with Peter Hook. The bass isn't meant to be the main instrument, it's supposed to drive the rhythm of the song, and that's exactly what Hook does. You can hardly hear the bass in New Order or Joy Division songs, but if it wasn't there, their other innovative notions wouldn't work at all.

Although of course, sometimes it could drive the song, and not sound like a bass guitar anymore, dynamicism, that is.

I don't agree with this list at all. Flea is the greatest bass player ever, he is in a class all by himself. He does things on that bass that I've never seen before, he also has a unique sound and a unique style. Bootsy Collins should also be in the top 5. Bootsy epitomizes funk, and he brings a tenacity that is pretty much unmatched by anybody else. Most people don't know Bootsy, but he is very good... look him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back