• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Great Khali

tLight

The Lionheart
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Khali got a huge Pop from the live crowd on Smackdown on Friday. I don't know if its his music, or his brother, because its not his in ring ability, but theres something about Khali that makes the fans love him.

I know he's only still in the WWE because he equals big ratings and merch sales back in his home country for the WWE, and Vince isn't stupid and knows how to utilize some of his people correctly.

I also don't expect him to put on a 5 star, hell I'm not even sure if he could put on a 1 star match, but he's entertaining. I also found his work in Get Smart Hilarious, it reminded me of his promos, you know the ones that are in complete gibberish to us, but are still entertaining.

Why can't it be his in-ring ability? Because he doesn't do a bunch of flips and arm locks? Maybe it is his in-ring ability. Personally, if I had to pick between a 7 foot 5 inch behemoth who bludgeons people mercilessly, or a 5'7 guy who does a bunch of moves that look fake...I'll pick Khali every time.

No its because he has a very limited move set, and is slower than dry dirt. I mean Big Shows a very large wrestler, but he has a variety of moves that he does during a match to keep it interesting.

No its because he has a very limited move set, and is slower than dry dirt. I mean Big Shows a very large wrestler, but he has a variety of moves that he does during a match to keep it interesting.
So, he can't be good in-ring because he doesn't have a large moveset and is slow? How does that make sense? Do you feel that Dusty Rhodes, Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, Vader, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Roddy Piper, etc. were all bad wrestlers too?

That has nothing to do with in-ring quality. The fact of the matter is, while Khali is a little rough around the edges, he is believable in the ring, and he plays his character well. Which is more than enough reason to pop for someone.

So, he can't be good in-ring because he doesn't have a large moveset and is slow? How does that make sense? Do you feel that Dusty Rhodes, Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, Vader, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Roddy Piper, etc. were all bad wrestlers too?

It's not that he's limited in the ring and slow. It's that he's quite possibly the most limited in the ring wrestler of all time. He makes Andre the Giant look like a cruiserweight.

And yes Sly, I'd say Dusty Rhodes was pretty awful. Vastly overrated.

That has nothing to do with in-ring quality. The fact of the matter is, while Khali is a little rough around the edges, he is believable in the ring, and he plays his character well. Which is more than enough reason to pop for someone.

You're right there. The crowd loves big stupid guys more than just about anything else.

I still would rather watch paint dry than Khali wrestle. I can't think of even a single good match he's been involved in. Watching him is literally painful.

The Great Khali is sluggish uncoordinated and awkward to watch in the ring yet usually makes atleast half the PPV payoffs in the whole year.

R-Truth is none of these things flies around the ring comfortable and casually like hes at home he has ability dripping through every pore in his body despite being 37 years of age and if he'd just quit using that damn scissors kick as his finish could be a viable contender of the IC strap yet...Unless im mistaken which could possibly be I don't think hes made his PPV debut in his current run.

Why can't the talentless giants be TV novelties so we can save some commericaless PPV time for someone who can actually have a decent match and go more than five minutes without blowing up.

The Great Khali is sluggish uncoordinated and awkward to watch in the ring yet usually makes atleast half the PPV payoffs in the whole year.
You know why? Because he's interesting and entertaining.

R-Truth is none of these things flies around the ring comfortable and casually like hes at home he has ability dripping through every pore in his body despite being 37 years of age and if he'd just quit using that damn scissors kick as his finish could be a viable contender of the IC strap yet...Unless im mistaken which could possibly be I don't think hes made his PPV debut in his current run.

Why can't the talentless giants be TV novelties so we can save some commericaless PPV time for someone who can actually have a decent match and go more than five minutes without blowing up.
Wait...you want to kick an interesting and moneymaking character, who is a massive giant, for wrestlers that no one gives a fuck about? That's stupid.

Khali = Decent wrestler, decent character, damn interesting entertainment

R-Truth - Piss bucket wrestler, piss bucket character, and terrible to watch

If Khali is your idea of a decent wrestler I think you need to grab your walker slip into your orthopedic shoe get off your ass and get some DVDs of the wrestling thats come along in the last twenty years.

And while R-Truth may be a "piss bucket character" the ease he goes through every motion in the ring makes him a natural unlike that sloppy nosell blocking every punch thrown at you even though your suppose to be an initimdating giant bullshit. I'm not necessarily an R-Truth advocate..My point is simple provide the guys that can GO with extended TV matches and PPV matches its time much better spent that having Khali going out there gasing and blowing up

I don't understand why everyone loves to get on Khali's back. I watched his Breaking Point match and I actually quite enjoyed it. I think that the angle with Kane is pretty darn entertaining and it is something that Khali does well, drawing people into his feuds. Think about it, as a face he has the kiss cam and has good feuds with Kane. As a heel, he had good believable feuds with Batista, Taker and Triple H. Khali does his work just as well as anyone else on the roster and is still a believable character in my opinion.

I am going to have to, and I can't believe that I typing these words, agree with Sly on this one! God, that was hard to say!

The fact is that Khali does what he is supposed to do in the ring and that is be the big dumbass, stupid as fuck giant! He is supposed to move slower than most everyone else and he is supposed to have high impact attacks, which he does and he does it very well. No he isn't going to have a wrestling classic, however, he does do what is expected of him and as far as believability goes, he is dead on. Except of course for that horrible chop to the head, but other than that, he is dead on.

Don't knock a wrestler for doing exactly what is expected of them. He has a character and he plays that character very damn well.

If Khali is your idea of a decent wrestler I think you need to grab your walker slip into your orthopedic shoe get off your ass and get some DVDs of the wrestling thats come along in the last twenty years.
I've watched plenty of good wrestlers over the last 20-25 years, as well as plenty of good matches. The problem here is not on my end, but rather on your end, as you are stuck in the mindset that the wrestling business has worked you to believe in, that little guys who use moves are good, and that big guys who don't use a bunch of moves aren't skilled. And that's just nonsense, as can be seen by guys like Brody, Hansen, Vader, etc.

And while R-Truth may be a "piss bucket character" the ease he goes through every motion in the ring makes him a natural unlike that sloppy nosell blocking every punch thrown at you even though your suppose to be an initimdating giant bullshit.
R-Truth is a terrible worker. Why do you think he has to do all those flips and spins and shit? Because he has to hide how awful he really is in the ring. Being a good wrestler has nothing to do with being a good athlete.

What you are talking about is being a good athlete, not a good wrestler.

My point is simple provide the guys that can GO with extended TV matches and PPV matches its time much better spent that having Khali going out there gasing and blowing up
There are so many things wrong with this statement, all I can do is list them, without actually going in depth.

1) If you put all the same kind of matches out there, then there's no variety

2) You have to have peaks and valleys in every show, or you'll tire out the crowd.

3) PPV matches should pit guys who actually make money for the company, instead of guys who can wrestle terribly for 15 minutes.

4) Khali is a fine wrestler for what he's supposed to do.

5) Wrestlers who can "go" is completely different than what you think it is.

And while R-Truth may be a "piss bucket character" the ease he goes through every motion in the ring makes him a natural unlike that sloppy nosell blocking every punch thrown at you even though your suppose to be an initimdating giant bullshit. I'm not necessarily an R-Truth advocate..My point is simple provide the guys that can GO with extended TV matches and PPV matches its time much better spent that having Khali going out there gasing and blowing up

How is Khali gassing and blowing up on PPV? Khali is 7'4" and over 400. What kind of moves is he supposed to do? He does the moves he is supposed to do for a guy his size. R-Truth hasn't done anything in a long time and seems to be fading away. They're putting him in a program with McIntyre and hopefully Drew comes out the winner. Khali has the Indian marketbase covered and he makes money for Vince unlike R-Truth.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have a walker but it's not mine.

I'd say ROH has been pretty successful in worrying about pure workrate and filling they're cards from head to toe with not the larger wrestler but the more talented and they don't even book a giant on the damn show.

Wrestlers who can "go" is completely different than what I think it is? And what gives you the right to decide what constitutes a good wrestler? I know thats a double bladed sword but if we were petitioning the WWE Roster on who they'd rather work with I guarantee you EVERYTIME they would perfer Killings over Khali. In fact I think its pretty narrow minded to look at a Killings match and say "Ah, Those flips are to mask his lack of ability" if you pay close attention the BULK of his match is still damned decent the flips are simply because thats how he knows to show off with his dance backround or whatever it comes natural to him...And why isn't that better than say...The Rock throwing his leg out before an elbow drop or Stone Cold giving a finger before a stunner. Its just as if not sightly more entertaining. Realize what he could be doing and appreciate the extra mile hes going all WHILE putting on good wrestling.

I'd say ROH has been pretty successful in worrying about pure workrate and filling they're cards from head to toe with not the larger wrestler but the more talented and they don't even book a giant on the damn show.

Wrestlers who can "go" is completely different than what I think it is? And what gives you the right to decide what constitutes a good wrestler? I know thats a double bladed sword but if we were petitioning the WWE Roster on who they'd rather work with I guarantee you EVERYTIME they would perfer Killings over Khali. In fact I think its pretty narrow minded to look at a Killings match and say "Ah, Those flips are to mask his lack of ability" if you pay close attention the BULK of his match is still damned decent he the flips are simply because thats how he knows to show off...And why isn't that better than say...The Rock throwing his leg out before an elbow drop or Stone Cold giving a finger before a stunner. Realize what he could be doing and appreciate the extra mile hes going all WHILE putting on good wrestling.

Well why don't you petition every wrestler then to see if they prefer Killings over Khali. If you don't then it is useless to make outlandish statements like that. Besides his flips, R-Truth doesn't do anything great. Only thing good I can say about him that is he sells his opponent's moves good but that's it. The reason the Rock and Austin are different because they actually had wrestling ability. The throwing out the leg and the finger only happen once in a match and not every other move like R-Truth.

Spoken like a true mark for anybody that broke the mold and made it main event status. R-Truth has ability and adds flair to everything he does in the ring. I don't even know why this became defend R-Truth day when hes just a metaphor for so many talented guys that are by no means getting the right treatment for their talent.

Is it really an outlandish statement? I'm not sure they'd rather work with someone who cooperates back and forth than having to essentially work themselves in a match because of Khalis not only limited ability but the fact that you have to be careful as to not hurt his giant reputation. Leaves for a pretty hum drum anti-climatic match up.

If by "pretty successful", you mean losing money, toiling in obscuring, and constantly having your main-eventers poached by TNA and WWE, then yeah, I guess that's successful. :suspic:

Furthermore, the workrate in ROH is absolutely atrocious. Then again, you'd have to actually know what "workrate" actually is, and you obviously don't.

Wrestlers who can "go" is completely different than what I think it is?
Given your mistaken use of the term "workrate", I'd say so.

And what gives you the right to decide what constitutes a good wrestler?
The fact that I have intelligence? The fact that just about EVERY person in the business to have ever spoken or written on the subject says those who are the best workers are the ones who draw money?

I know thats a double bladed sword but if we were petitioning the WWE Roster on who they'd rather work with I guarantee you EVERYTIME they would perfer Killings over Khali.
Bullshit.

If we petition everyone on the WWE Roster who'd they would rather work with, they would rather work with the person who is higher on the card and draws more money. Why? Because that means a better company position for them.

Bret Hart has written on his web site that wrestlers used to go up to Hogan and thank him, essentially because he was so great. Because those wrestlers knew that just sharing a card with Hogan, much less having a match with him, meant extra food on their table that night.

In fact I think its pretty narrow minded to look at a Killings match and say "Ah, Those flips are to mask his lack of ability"
It's not narrow-minded at all. I've watched Killings fumble through matches for years now.

if you pay close attention the BULK of his match is still damned decent
No, they are not. And that's why he's never gotten over on his in-ring work.

the flips are simply because thats

And why isn't that better than say...The Rock throwing his leg out before an elbow drop or Stone Cold giving a finger before a stunner. Its just as if not sightly more entertaining. Realize what he could be doing and appreciate the extra mile hes going all WHILE putting on good wrestling.
Know what the difference between Rock, Austin, and Killings is? Rock and Austin were good.

Hes a big man that covers up everytime a right hand is thrown at his head. What the shit is that!? That takes away all credible he has of looking the least bit ferocious. Simply put he is a joke.

WWE booked their MONSTER in a singapore cane match against another established giant and Khali went out there throwing pussy slapstick shots. This was suppose to be a barnburner. And to top it all of Cena and Orton came out later in the night delivering DEVASTATING singapore cane shots. So not only can he NOT work but hes incapable of being booked in a weapons match because it completely exposes his fear of anything resembling jarring contact. And thats doing what you're told? Khali's whack.

I am going to have to, and I can't believe that I typing these words, agree with Sly on this one! God, that was hard to say!

The fact is that Khali does what he is supposed to do in the ring and that is be the big dumbass, stupid as fuck giant! He is supposed to move slower than most everyone else and he is supposed to have high impact attacks, which he does and he does it very well. No he isn't going to have a wrestling classic, however, he does do what is expected of him and as far as believability goes, he is dead on. Except of course for that horrible chop to the head, but other than that, he is dead on.

Don't knock a wrestler for doing exactly what is expected of them. He has a character and he plays that character very damn well.

You've got to be kidding!? You get in the Cena thread and rag the shit out of him for doing the exact thing he's supposed to do and then you type this dribble about Khali doing what he supposed to do and it looks good and believable???!!!

Fuck! I just don't get you...

Anyways, Khali can and I use that term loosely, can at times pull off a semi interesting mid card match like he did at breaking point but generally he sucks ass in the ring and out and is only there for being a big mother fucker that's funny to look at. I personally don't mind him being on the show because he is a sight to look at and I understand the reasons why he is there but to say he is a good in ring wrestler is bull shit. He's the stiffest of the roster, can only really perform chops and kicks and a head vice. He is over though for his size and marketability so it's fine for him to be on the show but I don't think he needs any more match's with Kane on PPV, keep it on SD and give the spot to someone else.

Khali serves his purpose but he isn't a good ring wrestler, simple as that.

Was the Khali/Kane match supposed to be a barnburner because I didn't think it was? Where's proof that Khali can not work because you haven't show me any? He's had good matches with HHH, Khali, and Cena which is better than what half the superstars have done in the past three years.

You've got to be kidding!? You get in the Cena thread and rag the shit out of him for doing the exact thing he's supposed to do and then you type this dribble about Khali doing what he supposed to do and it looks good and believable???!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Hell NO! Cena is capable of doing alot better than the shit that he puts on half the damn time. I have mentioned several times where I have been impressed by Cena. Cena is capable of being one of the best in ring performers ever, but he doesn't show it all of the time. You see Cena is supposed to be the best that we have today, is he not? So how does he do what he is supposed to do? Because if he is the best that we have today putting on shit match after shit match, then the WWE is heading in the wrong fucking direction.

Khali isn't capable of doing half the shit that most people on the roster is doing, just like Andre wasn't. So you can't rag on the man for doing what he can and all he can. Cena does not do what he can and all he can. That is what pisses me off about Cena.!

Fuck! I just don't get you...

Good, that is exactly how I like it!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Hell NO! Cena is capable of doing alot better than the shit that he puts on half the damn time. I have mentioned several times where I have been impressed by Cena. Cena is capable of being one of the best in ring performers ever, but he doesn't show it all of the time. You see Cena is supposed to be the best that we have today, is he not? So how does he do what he is supposed to do? Because if he is the best that we have today putting on shit match after shit match, then the WWE is heading in the wrong fucking direction.

Khali isn't capable of doing half the shit that most people on the roster is doing, just like Andre wasn't. So you can't rag on the man for doing what he can and all he can. Cena does not do what he can and all he can. That is what pisses me off about Cena.!

Good, that is exactly how I like it!

Ok, I'm only responding to this once because it is a Khali thread.

Cena is the best right now, WWE would not have him where he is if he wasn't the most popular, most entertaining wrestler on the roster. He does everything he's supposed to do and keeps the majority of the fans entertained. Cena is the biggest draw, hence he is the biggest man in the company right now. He puts on great match's and promo's. Of course at times he can be a bit stale but everyone has that night here and there.

Now, back to Khali. I wasn't hating on Khali at all. I actually posted that I think he does what he's meant to do and I have no problem what so ever with him being on TV or PPV but I don't see any 'good' wrestling in the ring from him. Yeah he's big and interesting but by no means is he a 'good' wrestler. I just don't think we need a 3rd match between him and Kane on the next PPV. Khali does his job well, I'm not denying that but I am saying he isn't a very good in ring performer, every move looks really forced and unbelievable. But, WWE will always have their handfull of big guys so I know it's not going to change any time soon.

Why do we as a people see no harm done in promoting a giant who is there solely because of his novelty stature to PPV spots that are often pointless run on matches with no direction, when hungry more seasoned wrestlers who've paid their dues who've gone through countless injuries beads of sweat and drips of blood to earn that spot. Khali is near out of the picture from the nagging injuries of simply dragging himself around and your gonna tell me a person in that kind of condition is serving their purpose? Lets not forget the fact that Khali has legitamently killed a man in the ring.

Why do we as a people see no harm done in promoting a giant who is there solely because of his novelty stature to PPV spots
Perhaps because those giants entertain us far more than your piss bucket wrestlers who you think are good wrestlers but really are not?

that are often pointless run on matches with no direction
As are the majority of matches by people you feel are better. What's your point?

when hungry more seasoned wrestlers who've paid their dues who've gone through countless injuries beads of sweat and drips of blood to earn that spot.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Professional wrestling is a business, not kindergarten. Not everyone gets an equal chance to play. This is big boy business we're talking about. The ones who get the PPV time are the ones who are entertaining and draw money. That's why Khali is on there, and Charlie Haas is not.

Khali is near out of the picture from the nagging injuries of simply dragging himself around and your gonna tell me a person in that kind of condition is serving their purpose?
So, what you are saying is that a guy dragging himself around because of persistent injuries is STILL more entertaining than guys like R-Truth or Funaki, and you want to reward the boring wrestlers? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Why reward incompetency?

Lets not forget the fact that Khali has legitamently killed a man in the ring.
Bullshit and a half, and anyone who actually knows the story knows that. Quit trying to twist facts to suit your purpose.

Khali did not kill that man, that man had NO business even being in a ring. It wouldn't have matter if it was Khali or HBK, taking the bump he took would have killed him. He had previously suffered a concussion, was not given any protective gear, and was the one who screwed up the spot.

Saying Khali killed a man is as stupid as it is reckless.

I'm not going to go point for point with Slyfox, because I don't care to and he's right for the most part. However, I do have to ask, do you really think Khali looks believable? Because I don't, not at all. Not that Evan Bourne does, but if we take say the Big Show, he looks like he's hurting people, Khali looks like he is tapping the top of their head like he's the pope or something.

Khali's popularity largely comes from the fact that people love giants. Honestly, that is a fact of humanity, children always stare at tall people, we are drawn to stature. So if the giant is doing good things, which Khali is, and if he has a supporting act who is quite amusing, which Khali does, then people are more likely to get behind him. He has to do less to get over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back