• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Great Godzilla Thread

The Roid Rage

Getting Noticed By Management
Yep Godzilla Motherfucker!!! I don't know about many of you but I grew up watching just about any monster flick I could find, and really loved the older monster movies. I've seen tons of Godzilla movies but not close to all of them. I have seen different ones from all across the eras but there are a lot of them and it's not always easy to find them. It's not like the local video store is carrying Godzilla vs King Ghidorah these days. I always liked the Godzilla movies even though technically they are pretty bad, they are pretty fucking awesome too in their own way.

I actually had the privilege to see the original Japanese version when I was in middle school, my reading teacher liked the Godzilla movies too and so we read the original Japanese script and watched the movie. He had it on a reel-to-reel which was so sweet, it just gave it such an authentic feel just like it was the day it came out. I liked the American version Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but seeing the original changed everything for me about the Godzilla movies. Once we got into the real subtext of the story it was just amazing, and it really was kind of scary once you understood the message behind it and could really put into perspective the type of horror they were really depicting. Man's misuse of nuclear power coming back to make them pay, absolutely bone chilling in some ways.

My favorite Godzilla movies are Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II, and Godzilla vs Space Godzilla which were released back to back in 1993 and 19994. I love all the older ones I have seen just as much, but those two were pretty impressive compared to the old school ones. I thought Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Battra, Space Godzilla, MechaGodzilla, Kumonga, etc... were just great monsters as were pretty much all of the monsters and variations of the same monsters they had. I also really liked son of Godzilla, and also one of my absolute favorites is Godzilla vs King Kong, that one was just epic. The two most iconic monsters of the time going at it. It was crazy and still gets me today.

Through some research of the Godzilla films I have found that I am a fan of the Heisei as well as the Showa Series mostly. The Millenium series was technically better because of advances in modern film but the didn't capture the monster like the old ones. I don't even want to mention the 1998 Mathew Broderick version. That was crap, I didn't like it, no respective Godzilla fan did either especially since they changed the way he looked so dramatically. It was more like "Jurassic Park: The Lost World" than a Godzilla movie.

Any other Godzilla fans? What is your favorite Godzilla movie? What is your Godzilla history? If you don't like Godzilla, who is your favorite monster? If you care to discuss any of the movies, feel free as well.

No love for the big radioactive lizard???? King of the Monsters??? I guess the films just haven't circulated that much. The Godzilla movies definitely have a "B" movie quality to them. I know, how do you get "B" movie and "Quality", simply put right here with Godzilla. So the effects are cheesy, the dialog isn't great, not the best actors, and most of them are pretty old, but the stories are pretty good revolving around Japans destruction/protection from Godzilla and the numerous monsters that try to attack Japan and/or Godzilla. The dialog in these movies is really informative and so sometimes you can feel like "Why are you saying all this" but it generally helps to fill out the details and explain how they constantly get around the confines of reality.

If you haven't seen any of the Godzilla flicks, or you might have once upon a time and don't remember, I suggest watching the original. I think Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is just about the best one so you really should check that one out too. It will speak to the monster movie loving kid inside of you, and before you know it you will be trying to find all the other films too. They are addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back