• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The GOP Has Broken Me

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://www.dailypress.com/news/mili...ck-veterans-jobs-bill-20120920,0,7753790.post

Bill for veterans returning home, would help get them jobs as firemen and cops, passed the Senate 58-40, had bipartisan support, Republicans wrote most of the bill, it was filibustered and not passed.

I've reached the point where this doesn't even make me mad or upset anymore. They just do this stuff and get away with it because they can and somehow in the Senate now, winning a vote by nearly 20% isn't good enough. Anybody want to get angry about this over me? I've got nothing left to get fired up over it with them anymore.

Relax and go watch Clinton on The Daily Show.

It will warm your cockles (until you remember that he brutally murdered Vince Foster with Hillary's pitch fork).

I thought this was Mitt Romney taking Obama's praise for Americans in changing the country and turning it into a criticism of Obama.

Had an interesting debate about this with my friend's dad today. He's a giant Obama fan; unfortunately, he's also really ignorant and gives democrats a bad name.

Out of the last three Republican presidential candidates, who is the BEST choice: George Bush, John McCain, or Mitt Romney?

Had an interesting debate about this with my friend's dad today. He's a giant Obama fan; unfortunately, he's also really ignorant and gives democrats a bad name.

Out of the last three Republican presidential candidates, who is the BEST choice: George Bush, John McCain, or Mitt Romney?

Barack Obama. No, seriously. Barack Obama is more traditionally Republican than any of those three (well, at least Bush and Romney, don't remember much about McCain), especially when it comes to fiscal matters.

But to answer your question, it has to be John McCain. Why? Because we all remember Bush's presidency and Romney's campaigning disaster is fresh in our minds. McCain was four years ago so we don't remember it as well and he was never President.

I don't remember much about McCain, but I remember not thinking about him as negatively then as I do now about Romney.

I can agree with this. Though him choosing Palin as his running mate clearly just to try and get the women voters on his side is something that sticks in my mind. Just looking back on it, you can tell how obvious it is that he did no research on her before picking her.

I thought Crazy Sarah was picked because her breed of insanity appealed to the more right wing members of the party which McCain didn't.

I thought Crazy Sarah was picked because her breed of insanity appealed to the more right wing members of the party which McCain didn't.

I remember everyone quickly realizing how dumb she was, but I don't recall it being commonly known that she was that crazy. I could just be misremembering, however. KB or Sly would probably remember much more accurately than I.

I was referring more to her stupidity than her political stances. Not stupid in a political way, stupid in a "I don't know what books I read' kind of way.

I remember everyone quickly realizing how dumb she was, but I don't recall it being commonly known that she was that crazy. I could just be misremembering, however. KB or Sly would probably remember much more accurately than I.

It wasn't that well known. That was the big thing with her: no one knew her. She was a good candidate when she was picked: young, energetic, attractive. Then she talked and it all fell apart. At the end of the day, she had very little experience, she let the spotlight go to her head, and she was pretty dumb.

Barack Obama. No, seriously. Barack Obama is more traditionally Republican than any of those three (well, at least Bush and Romney, don't remember much about McCain), especially when it comes to fiscal matters.

I will completely agree with this. Over the last few presidents- and I think you could see it most around the time of Clinton's term - there was almost a paradigm shift in the two parties. Decades ago, and you may not agree with this, I don't know, the Republican party used to be THE active liberal party, fighting for things like the woman's right to vote, anti-slavery, etc etc. It used to be that being a Republican was a GOOD thing in the eyes of the liberal, emergent culture.

I will agree that Obama is a far more conservative president than both George Bush, and many other Democrats even. I hear a lot of the left actually complain that he's too neutral at times, and that he "fights from the middle".

It's funny to me that you've got a whole community of Republicans that think they're "conservative" because they want to uphold and protect "traditional values", but most of the time their ideas are completely unconstitutional. Like denying certain people unalienable rights because of their sexual preference. Or changing laws in the GOP to elect the most marketable and rich candidate. It used to be that the right was so much more honorable, and had the balls to do the right thing for society. And now they're so wrapped up in politics and the rich getting richer, that nothing matters but getting the next puppet into office.

At some point the two parties shifted, and the Democratic party became hands down the more fiscally conservative branch. I would elect Clinton again if I could; he did a hell of a lot of work to decrease the national debt. Not to totally discredit Bush, because even though he was a shitty president, he had the unfortunate task of stepping into the office and then being immediately presented with 9/11... I don't envy anybody who has to take up that job, nor do I envy Obama for having to deal with its outcome.

McCain gets my respect for the grizzled old man angle he pulls from time to time. He's not afraid to pee on the shoes of his fellow GOPers and I like that.

That being said, he is clearly a bit in his years and out of touch as shit.

The SNL show was gold, though.

Nothing really surprises me in politics anymore, and that goes for both Republicans and Democrats. Every once in a while I get worked up over bills that they want to pass, but its just second nature now I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back