• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Future of the WWE Tag Team Division

gasM

Occasional Pre-Show
At Wrestlemania 28 the tag titles weren't even on the card. Every time someone mentiones the WWE tag team division, it's generally agreed that it has died a death of some kind.

However, the straps are currently on two established midcarders and they even got to have a proper match at the last PPV, Over the Limit. R-Truth's injury has damaged this progress somewhat, but the writers took time to work his injury into the show last Monday and had Kofi go after Show - there was some actual story progression.

I was watching a recent episode of NXT recently where Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel defeated Johnny Curtis and Heath Slater in a tag team main event. This match was the big one at the end of the card, there was some impressive, innovative teamwork, and the commentators even played up the "resurgence of the tag team division".

So is the division returning to its former glory?

I think yes. With up and coming teams like The Usos (who got a big reaction at NXT that you could see as well as hear - very unlikely to be dubbed) gaining prominence, ie Reks and Hawkins appearing on Raw recently, plus with Raw going 3 hours permanently, the tag team division is quite rightly getting some TLC (see what I did there?)

The teams are there waiting for the opputunity. The just have to win the crowd and the management in order to get more relevant and bring excitement back to the Tag Team Division. Let's just sit back, watch the show and pray that someday, Tag Team Wrestling will become relevant again.

It looks like the tag division will pick up once the 3 hour Raws are fully underway and in need of stuff to fill in the gaps. I'd guess the people competing in the division will end up being The Usos, The Colons, Kidd/Gabriel, Kofi/Truth (when he recovers.), Hawkins/Reks, Hunico/Camacho and with other random guys thrown together and guys that get called up from FCW, they have about three good ones at the moment. I'd imagine that until Dolph captures a world title or fueds with Swagger to break away the two of them will also be part of the tag division to some extent.

Anyway rambling aside... It looks like stuff will get good eventually.

Kofi with a new tag team partener every tag team victory.
because kofi wont ever be in the main event so he gets a new tag team member every 6 months

I wish WWE would reunite the kings of wrestling they could do so much for the tag division and wwe may sogn the MCMG's soon with Sabin rumored to be gone from tna

When summer rolls around we will have more than enough tag teams vying for the belts. HHH has promised us that we will see more teams this coming summer. The only problem is that there are no Road Warriors, or Demolitions out there. Fans want teams that are mean , vicious and able to have good promos. That is not happening now. I could see Ryback as being part of a team as long as he had a partner like the old Mason Ryan or the new Big Show. Granted they would need a Paul Ellering or maybe a Ric Flair to show them the art of cutting promos.

I wish WWE would reunite the kings of wrestling they could do so much for the tag division and wwe may sogn the MCMG's soon with Sabin rumored to be gone from tna

MCMG would be awesome in WWE "Kings of Wrestling I was beggin for them to come in as a tag team" would be great w/ Primo & Epico , Usos , O'Neil & Young (That's 5 good teams) Ziggler & Swagger was a good team but Zig is so great that you have to unleash him in single competition (Personally i think WWE droped the ball not founding away to get Beer Money to WWE)

The division is rising with the new talent in FCW and the NXT teams getting more of a reaction. Of course the MCMG and KoW would be great additions. But if Ryback anf Mason Ryan were to team they could run a mean streak through the division if not the WWE if given proper training on the mic. Or just have them be the gargantuans that just come in wreck shit and leave not saying a single words give them that sort of caveman-esqe view of gesturing and making noise lol

I doubt that this new "tag team revival" will amount to anything. Vince will forget about it and we won't be seeing any improvement down the line.

It's funny cuz me and my friend were talking about this the other day. I remember back then when the tag titles were defended at every single ppv with a stipulation even like TLC, and when they were defended at every other raw. It's true, the division has gone to shit in recent years. I do see them trying to reenergize the tag division, but like it was stated, how can you not have them defended on the biggest show of the year. Thats like if WWE didn't put the tag titles to be defended at Night of Champions. They need to keep up the momentum with the tag division. We need teams like New Age Outlaws, Hardy Boys, Dudleys and Edge and Christian!

It's true, the division has gone to shit in recent years. I do see them trying to reenergize the tag division, but like it was stated, how can you not have them defended on the biggest show of the year. Thats like if WWE didn't put the tag titles to be defended at Night of Champions. They need to keep up the momentum with the tag division. We need teams like New Age Outlaws, Hardy Boys, Dudleys and Edge and Christian![/QUOTE]

the problem is there are not enough charismatic players in the tag team division like the teams you have mentioned, there was to be a revival, you would need to add something special to the mix to re-energize the division.

Well, after seeing the No Way Out PPV, it seems like they are actually trying with the division (with the AW swerve and everything). I'm a big fan of the Prime-Time Players... they're actually very entertaining and they got the Millions of Dollas thing going on.

Remember when new wrestlers cut their teeth in the tag ranks BEFORE they were thrown into singles competition? It worked for the Rockers, the Bluebloods, the Hollywood Blonds, the Hart Foundation, etc.

A good start to revitalize the tag division would likely be taking the FCW call-ups and midcard flounders, repackage them, and see if they can develop as a tag team. You may have the next main event attraction within a year or two.

The tag division seems to be slowly rebuilt.

But there IS the talent there to create some good matches and good storylines. The problem seems to be that they barely let the tag teams talk on the mic or develop any sort of storyline past just having a match. The only thing I can think of right now is there seems to be a feud/storyline developing between Primetime Players and Primo & Epico with AW adding to the story.

I would LOVE to see a resurgence, though, of the tag division. I'd love to see it get popular again to the point where we would love to see a TLC triple threat match for the Tag Titles between your pick of:

- Primo & Epico
- Hunico & Camacho
- The Usos
- Kofi & R-Truth
- Reks & Hawkins
- Kidd & Gabriel
- Primetime Players

I'm fairly optimistic the tag division is going to see better days. Maybe not as good as the late 90s but at least a lot better than the last 2-3 years.

I can't wait until the Ascension comes to the main roster from NXT. They are awesome and bring that old school over the top gimmick back to wrestling. Very cool entrance and some pretty smooth double team moves. They also bring ferocity and intensity...

For me they are already far better than all the other tag teams mentioned..

I would love it if the wwe invested stock like no tomorrow into the tag team division with basically all young talent being thrown in unless they are already seen as a real main event caliber talent level guy. this could rejuvinate the tag team division and take less time away from anything that is horrible in the upper level of the card. HHH summer slam? Cena money in the bank? Big Johnny not having a proper heel stable formed, ( massive divide).

I think the Miz could be one half of a really good tag team in the vain of the Outlaws...granted, hes been stuck in tag team wrestling before but with this sort of gimmick he could go face and start in the midcard, and build back up

Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel should be a legitimate Tag Team that sticks around for a while. Tyson Kidd is just so impressive. The same applies to Hunico. I love that guy's moveset. Tag Team bouts and rivalries between each of these guys' teams would be topnotch. I absolutely abhor WWE's "trend" of splitting up established Tag Teams usually after just ONE title reign. Why can't they just keep Tag Teams as Tag Teams for years? The only one team that has been together for a long time has been the Uso's. I also like Reks & Hawkins as a Tag Team. They look like they could do something with the titles. The WWE also needs guys that can cut charismatic promos in order to express how much the Tag Team titles mean to them. Restore prestige by making the Tag titles seem significant. I used to enjoy the New Age Outlaws when they'd refer to themselves as the Tag Team Champions of the World. Just adding "World" to your Championship makes it seem big league. I'm really hoping for more teams to assemble and emerge in the near future. I'm also really hoping the titles get their rightful places and acknowledgement on PPV's with the commentators making references to past Tag Team greats and really putting over the titles. It really is under-appreciated wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back