The future of PPV build ups??

Savior with faith 101

Occasional Pre-Show
SO i for one have been hugely impressed with the HHH/Undertaker videos which have pre-empted their match up at Wrestlemania. They are very UFC-like in the way they talk about the competition between the two and have almost made it seem like a legitimate sport.

Now clearly if they used these types of video for every PPV build up then it would lose its effect, but for big matches at the big PPV's id like to see this style of video return. These types of video mixed with some good mic work by the Superstars would really set up main event feuds and make them seem far more important.

So with this in mind...

Would you like to see WWE use these more often?

And what future feuds could you see them benifiting?

I would personally like to see this used for a returning Chris Jericho vs The Miz. My reasoning behind this would be because clearly Chris Jericho would get as much praise for his performances in the ring as HHH and Undertaker, how he has accomplished all there is. You could have The Rock and Austin talk of the night they were both beaten, Honty Tonk Man talk about his intercontinental title reigns and Michaels talk about their epic feud.

They could use the videos to hype The Miz as an underdog who cant be underestimated. The likes of Orton, Cena, Morrison, Lawler etc would be able to put over how he managed to get the win against all odds and retain his title. Almost like the team who reaches the Superbowl and wins having scraped through the wildcard playoffs.

The other reason i chose these two is because they can both hold their own on the mic and would be able to add to these video packages and really put over their feud. Also Jericho has spoken out about how Miz has "stolen" his style with the suits etc, so that could be the starting point of the feud...

but thats just my two cents :)

QUOTE]SO i for one have been hugely impressed with the HHH/Undertaker videos which have pre-empted their match up at Wrestlemania.[/QUOTE]

I might as well give you a response although it won't be what you were hoping for. Personally I dislike the video promos in the WWE for many reasons. Firstly why not allow us to see these promos given by these people actually in the ring. We are fatching a show about entertainment, and video promos are just a lazy way of saying we didn't want this live. I agree with giving promos however I feel when watching a live show or a pre-taped show that they make feel live, you must have live promos. Now the promos given are generally very good but I would much rather save this for the actual show and not as a side note.

They are very UFC-like in the way they talk about the competition between the two and have almost made it seem like a legitimate sport.

Here is the problem it is not an actual sport, its sports entertainment. UFC doesn't have live promos during their episodes they are filled with wresting so naturally all their videos are taped. Unlike a sports entertainment business who can spend time giving live promos. Wrestling fans generally know wrestling is not real and I think that we should keep it that way and not make WWE something that it clearly isn't There is no need it to make it an actual sport howevr the display of athletisicm takes the place of this being an actual sport.

Now clearly if they used these types of video for every PPV build up then it would lose its effect, but for big matches at the big PPV's id like to see this style of video return.

I don't mind these promos but would not have them at all if I were in charge. However to respond to your question I think this would work fine at the major paperviews (Summerslam, Survivor Series, Rumble) I think if anything I would most like this for matches with high unpredicatability such as a Money in the Bank match or the Rumble in that a Superstar could actually reveal to the WWE Universe their stretedgy in a match where there could be mulitiple stratedgies at once.

These types of video mixed with some good mic work by the Superstars would really set up main event feuds and make them seem far more important.

Now I start to agree with you as this is your first mention of actual live speaking. I wouldn't mind one longer video promo and then everything else live. I think the video promos must be a very rare occasion and so possibly this could work as long as we don't have a lot of mini promos. I think a lot of mini ones would be found boring and annoying.

Would you like to see WWE use these more often?

As stated a few times throughout my response clearly no, for above stated reasons.

And what future feuds could you see them benifiting?

Feuds that invovle people with a sports background. Guys like Jack Swagger who actually have some reason to be sport like. Or even Jericho now that he has gone down the road of dancing. I think that you don't want somebody non sports minded giving a sport minded promo. Is there any reason why Undertaker never appeared speaking in a video promo, this is because he is not believable so you need believable guys to do this.

I would personally like to see this used for a returning Chris Jericho vs The Miz.

As far as I know the most logic feud for Jericho would be against Randy Orton. However if the Miz were to face Jericho I would not want Miz giving video promos. It would not be the same and Miz is so good live. Jericho on the other hand could do this and be more believable. I think because A) he can be sport like and B) he is not loud. Being loud, on a video promo does not make sense so I think Miz is clearly not a video canidate

My reasoning behind this would be because clearly Chris Jericho would get as much praise for his performances in the ring as HHH and Undertaker, how he has accomplished all there is.

I don't think it has to be based on accomplishments. I think it should be based on whether it makes sense for the given feud. If it does not make sense then there is no need for it. Video promos like HHH and Undertaker's should be for any feud that it makes sense for.

You could have The Rock and Austin talk of the night they were both beaten, Honty Tonk Man talk about his intercontinental title reigns and Michaels talk about their epic feud.

I don't like living in the past. I wouldn't mind a general statemen summarizing past accomplisments however I would not want a review of the past. Rather I would have why the Superstar is good.

They could use the videos to hype The Miz as an underdog who can't be underestimated.

Eh doing this could get boring an obvious. These type of promos need to have more reason than someone being an Underdog.

The likes of Orton, Cena, Morrison, Lawler etc would be able to put over how he managed to get the win against all odds and retain his title. Almost like the team who reaches the Superbowl and wins having scraped through the wildcard playoffs.

This doesn't makes sense. Why would former superstars who got screwed out of the title vouch for the Miz. Not logical.

The other reason i chose these two is because they can both hold their own on the mic and would be able to add to these video packages and really put over their feud. Also Jericho has spoken out about how Miz has "stolen" his style with the suits etc, so that could be the starting point of the feud...

If they hold their own on the mic make it live. There is no need for amazing video packages when you could have amazing live pereformances.

but thats just my two cents :)
[/QUOTE]

Here is mine:twocents:

I appreciate your comments and definatly see where your coming from...the one comment i disagree with most is where u say

"This doesn't makes sense. Why would former superstars who got screwed out of the title vouch for the Miz. Not logical."

These videos dont need to be positive comments for both superstars. HHH and Undertaker are both faces, therefore all the comments have been respectful, that doesnt mean it has to be this way for these video packages to work. The Superstars that the Miz has beaten can warn of his tactics, after all JBL held the title on Smackdown for a year through any means possible, so the videos can be used to build up these tactics. Just because their saying he can win doesnt mean their "vouching" for him.

And also while the UFC doesnt have live promos during their events, they have entire shows dedicated to their fighter just talking about their background and their opponents, so if they can pull this off then why cant WWE pull off a 2 minute video hyping competition? Yes we know its fake, but that doesnt change the fact i still get excited about seeing who wins the matches, and im guessing im not in the minority there? otherwise why would people watch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back