The failure of realization - Houston

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
The is the first of a hopefully successful series where I question fan loyalties from a specific city. Sometimes, certain teams and stars get more love than others when it is truly another athlete or team that has done more for the city and brought more happiness and glory to the city. It's almost as if the amount of pain the beloved team brings has that pain transferred onto imaginary instant where they might win. There is no greater evidence of this phenomenon than in Houston, TX.

Football is king in Texas. Truly, high school football games in this state routinely draw 20,000 fans. While that might not seem like too large of a number, in the city of Houston and the surrounding there are well over 100 high school and they all draw well. That's just high school. I don't think the love of football in Texas is a myth or a secret, so let's just suffice it to say that in Houston, The Texans are number one, The Astros number two, and The Texans are number three. Rounding out the top four, we have the most successful team in Houston, the one that has brought the most joy and best athletes to the city, Yyyyoooouuuuurrrrr Hooouuuuuusttttooooonnnn ROCKETS!!!!!!!!

That's right, the most successful, and only champions, are the red headed stepchild of the Houston sports scene. This is so unjust considering that the Rockets have been to Four NBA Finals and won two. The Astros/Texans/Oilers triumvirate have been to one, and won zero......games, much less titles. Now, don't get me wrong, I love The Astros and I love The Texans, and I loved The Oilers so much that I still follow The Titans. But, it is the Rockets who have given me the most joy in my lifetime.

Now, I was not around for the '80-'81 Rockets, but that team had a losing record and still made the Finals. Honestly, that may have been the worst team with a chance to win a title until the '99 Knicks. But, if we start with the '85-'86 Rockets and move forward, the lack of love for the team gets mind boggling. First of all, this team featured the 1983 and 1984 number one picks in Ralph Sampson and Akeem Olajuwon. They also had three above average guards, with John Lucas and Rodney McCray being All-Stars. These Rockets dominated the defending NBA Champion Lakers 4 games to one, inspiring Pat Riley to call the "the team of the future." In the Finals, they played the Celtics, a team regarded as the greatest of all the times. The problem is that McHale and Parish could not handle Sampson and Akeem. Then, in game five of a series tied at 2, Sampson gets undercut, crashes his head and his hip into the ground, and his career disintegrates and so do The Rockets hopes of bringing that first elusive title to Houston. Combining that with three drug suspension to those above average guards, and Akeem is left to toil unhappily in Houston under about three thousand different coaches with sidekicks like Otis Thorpe and Sleepy Floyd. Culminating with Akeem's broken eye socket and the Rocket's missing the playoffs for the first time in forever in 1991-1992.

That summer, while licking their wounds, the Rockets decided to reform, and no one was more instrumental in that reformation than the newly revitalized Muslim Hakeem "The H makes me shoot better" Olajuwon. Hakeem, who already had the best footwork in the history of the game. (No exaggeration, and he is still far and away the best ever on the low post.) Hakeem developed the turn around jump shot which made him complete. He became unstoppable. All he needed was confidence in his teammates. The newly drafted Robert Horry certainly added to that. He was a 6'10" small forward with wing, post, defensive, and ball handling skills. This Rockets team won 50 games, got home court for the first round, and took Seattle to seven in round two. The improvement of the Rockets didn't stop there. Adding Sam Cassell's youthful energy and brass fucking balls was the last step, along with Mario Elie's bigger and brassier balls, defensive skills, and outside shooting ability was the last step necessary to build a contender. The '93-'94 Rockets were ready to compete for it all.

The team started off 15-0, capping that run in MSG on national television. There was no stopping Hakeem, who would go on to average 29-11-5-4-2 for the season. This is one of the best all around seasons in the league. He finished in the top ten in scoring, rebounding, steals, and blocks (1st). He was named the Defensive Player of the Year, MVP and was ready to roll in the playoffs. After beating the University of Connecticut women's team in the first round, they fell behind Phoenix 1-3 in the second round. It looked like another disappointment for Hakeem. Houston was used to it. Time for baseball.

Not so fast, my friend. /Corso

This Rockets team overcame the deficit and went on an improbable run of 8-0 when facing elimination over the next two years. The Rockets won the next two titles. Don't think this is too impressive? Look at the numbers Hakeem Olajuwon put up against the likes of Barkley, Malone, Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq (who had teammates like Stockton, Penny, Manning, Majerle, etc., oh, and Horace Grant). In 93-94, he averaged 29-11 and in 94-95, he averaged 33-10. He grabbed 100 offensive rebounds in these two post seasons. He burned through Robinson and Shaq in 2005 like they were nothing, polishing off Robinson 43-17 in a deciding game six and destroying Shaq to the point where Shaq, who has jokes for everyone, only speaks of Hakeem with reverence and awe. He said that that series was where he learned how to be a winner. Two championships for a starved city.

Yawn. It wasn't football or, at the very least, The Astros. The team got parades, headlines, and adoration. The problem was that the city forgets. The city embraces Earl Campbell, Craig Biggio, and Jeff Bagwell. Hakeem Olajuwon, indisputably the best athlete in the history of the city, is not the favorite. According to Bill Simmons, Hakeem is a member of the pantheon, the select few players who should not be compared to anyone or have anyone compared to them. There will be no "next" Olajuwon. There will never be a player who's career will be even close to compare. He is the only member of the 1000 blocks and 1000 steals club, as well as the 900 blocks and steals club, as well as 800, 700, and 600. He also threw in 28 a game during his ten prime years and led the league in rebounding a few times. He is a 14 time All-Star, two time finals MVP, successful real estate mogul, and generally congenial guy who got a bad reputation for being surly because the guy could not catch a break early in his career and it wore on him. He felt the pressure to succeed for the city that took in a 15 year old African soccer player and nurtured him for over 20 years. He became a citizen of this nation just to represent America, and yet, a running back with five good years, no titles, and a Heisman was more beloved.

The city of Houston needs to get it straight. The Rockets are their winners. Hakeem is their champion. I love Bags, Bigg, and all the other greats of the city. Andre Johnson may some day reach Hakeem status, but he is the only athlete who has ever had a slight chance of getting there, yet many others all regarded more highly. I do not understand. This is a football and baseball mad state and area, but the winners, the real winners, they play basketball. For the record, yes, I am disregarding the championships from the coked up jackasses from Dallas. Every Cowboy can fucking blow me.

I'll never forget when the Astros traded for Randy Johnson to help them in the playoffs. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I've always considered Houston my 2nd hometown, and attending many Astros games in the past, they are and always will be my favorite baseball team.

Now, back to the point, when Houston got Randy Johnson, that was their year to win it all, man. Johnson never played better, just killing opponents, going 10-1 in his 11 starts, a 1.28 ERA and pitching four shut-outs. But, come playoff time, while he still pitched great, he had no help from the offense, and the Astros lost to San Diego 3-1. I've always been extremely disappointed at that. That was their year to make something happen, and they failed miserably. And not only that, but they didn't resign Randy Johnson in the offseason, who of course went on to go to Arizona and help win them a championship.

The Oilers.. man, another case where they had one year to win it all, and blew it against the Jim Kellyless Buffalo Bills. Of course I'm talking about the 1992 season. They beat Buffalo's ass in the last game of the season, jump up 35-3 against them in the opening round of the playoffs, only for them to blow the game and lose it 41-38. I've always believed that had they not lost that game, they would have at least made it to the Super Bowl that year. But, they blew it, and were never right after that.

And as far as the Texans... personally, I think things are looking up. Matt Schaub established himself last year as one of the elite quarterbacks in the league, being selected for the Pro Bowl and being stats leader in a bunch of categories. Not to mention they have the best Wide Receiver in the league in Andre Johnson, and a defense that looks to get better every season. Sure, they're in a tough decision, but they're getting that Pittsburgh Steelers quality about them that all they have to do is make it the playoffs, and they'll stand a chance to upset ANYONE and get to the Super Bowl. So, in my opinion... there's nothing to be down about when it comes to the Houston Texans.

Edit: Sorry for this reply, FTS. I didn't realize reading in your OP that your main point was to acknowledge just what the fans of Houston should appreciate more when it comes to their city, but instead just giving an outlook on the city's professional sports history. I get the point now though after reading your Bar Room thread. and here's what I think about that:

While the Rockets are the winningest team technically in the city's history, the sport of basketball is just not the most popular sport in the state of Texas, or in the south period. We love football. We live, breathe, and die football. Basketball, and baseball for that matter, is just something to hold most Southerners off until football season starts again. That's honestly its only purpose for cities like Houston, no matter how well a team like the Rockets do. That's all there is to it, man. Nothing will ever change that fact. Basketball is simply a sport more for the East and West Coast.

However, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the fans who look at it that way, because it's not an under appreciation for the team, but for the sport. You can't force someone to be a big fan of a sport; either they love it or they don't. And unfortunately for teams like the Houston Rockets, a sport like football will always come first to the people of Houston and the surrounding area.

I agree with you JMT about basketball not being a Southern sport. There is no denying that. I even opened my post about that caveat. My point is that Houston, specifically doesn't look at The Rockets correctly. Even if you're not a basketball fan, that franchise has been a model of consistency and the cities only winner. Perhaps a bit of reverence for the teams and Hakeem himself would be in order. There is no statue of Hakeem in front of the Toyota center, but Bagwell and Biggio each got their own? I love them, but come on. That is misplaced loyalty to sat the least.

I agree with you JMT about basketball not being a Southern sport. There is no denying that. I even opened my post about that caveat. My point is that Houston, specifically doesn't look at The Rockets correctly. Even if you're not a basketball fan, that franchise has been a model of consistency and the cities only winner. Perhaps a bit of reverence for the teams and Hakeem himself would be in order. There is no statue of Hakeem in front of the Toyota center, but Bagwell and Biggio each got their own? I love them, but come on. That is misplaced loyalty to sat the least.

Now, I agree that's ridiculous, and hadn't you pointed that out, I never would have realized it. However, I think most don't realize that fact, and I would hope that if there was a big article in the paper about it, or it just somehow came to the population's attention, then Hakeem would get a statue immediately. He definitely ranks up there with Nolan Ryan as the greatest sports figure in the city's professional sports history, and it IS a shame that something like that goes unnoticed.

That said, you have to remember we live in a country where Rocky Balboa has a statue, but Joe Frazier, the REAL Rocky Balboa, doesn't. So, there are small little travesties like that scattered all throughout the country; Houston's not the only one to make this sort of mistake. I think there's something much more larger to take into consideration why shit like this happens, and that's of course racism.

I believe Hakeem doesn't get the respect he deserves in the city of Houston and in the NBA. When the discussion of the greatest centers in NBA history comes up, you rarely hear Olajuwon's name come up when he is one of the top five centers ever in my opinion. I feel that the perception around the league now and in the past was that the Rockets only won those championships because Michael Jordan was playing baseball. Jordan wasn't there for the 1993-1994 season but he came in late in the 1994-1995 season so really they only won one without Jordan there. That shouldn't change the fact that the Rockets were a great team during that time and it isn't their fault that Jordan wanted to honor his father and play baseball.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but the Boston series got me thinking and I remembered that you made this thread awhile back.

While I don't completly disagree that Houston doesn't give enough love to their only champions, the real question I have with your theory is why does the team with the most championships in the city need to be the hometown's favorites? Honestly when I was thinking about this I came to the conclusion that it says more for the city in being true fans if they still support their other teams more even though they don't have as rich a history in the playoffs. Why does the city need to support one team over the other just because they have a ring?

It's not that they should be the favorite, but, from growing up in Houston, I can tell you that the Rockets are a bit of an afterthought in that city. That is what I don't understand.

My point was more that Hakeem is not always viewed as the most important, and best, player that any Houston team has ever had. Bagwell, Biggio, Ryan, Campbell, Moon....these guys are revered in the city, but none of them ever won anything. The city will honor Jeff Bagwell, or the Astros will bring back Craig Biggio, but there is no Hakeem Day. It's almost as if the city says thanks and see you later. That's ridiculous. He still lives in the area, and he's made hundreds of millions in real estate and given millions to charity. He is a model citizen, an example of the bounteous offerings America has for anyone with enough determination to succeed. He was plucked from the only life he knew and set down, alone, as a 15 year old and told that the expectations of an entire continent are on him. He turned that pressure into a top 10 all time career, an MVP, 2 titles, and 3 Final Fours - all in Houston. Yet, Earl Campbell is a folk hero.

It's not that they should be the favorite, but, from growing up in Houston, I can tell you that the Rockets are a bit of an afterthought in that city. That is what I don't understand.

It's mostly because of the love of baseball, and you know how Texas is with their football. Honestly it's probably more of those two sports being favored over basketball by so much that people don't notice the Rockets as much. Really though there aren't many places that basketball hes rabid fans, especially in the pros. I don't think it has as much to do with Houston and their Rockets as much as it is the country and basketball.

My point was more that Hakeem is not always viewed as the most important, and best, player that any Houston team has ever had. Bagwell, Biggio, Ryan, Campbell, Moon....these guys are revered in the city, but none of them ever won anything. The city will honor Jeff Bagwell, or the Astros will bring back Craig Biggio, but there is no Hakeem Day.

A big part of this is name recognition, as bad as it sounds most Americans cheer for Americans exclusivly, at least that is what I have come across. As silly as it sounds Hakeem's name isn't one that people remember unless they are diehard basketball fans, and I truely believe it's because of where he is from and like I said as silly as it sounds, his name.

It's almost as if the city says thanks and see you later. That's ridiculous. He still lives in the area, and he's made hundreds of millions in real estate and given millions to charity. He is a model citizen, an example of the bounteous offerings America has for anyone with enough determination to succeed. He was plucked from the only life he knew and set down, alone, as a 15 year old and told that the expectations of an entire continent are on him. He turned that pressure into a top 10 all time career, an MVP, 2 titles, and 3 Final Fours - all in Houston. Yet, Earl Campbell is a folk hero.

I'm in agreement with you on this, the guy should be reconized in the city, but Houston loves Biggio and Bagwell so much that they will get reconized by the city more often. Biggio and Bagwell also gave themselves to the city for years upon years in the city's favorite sport, so really they do deserve to get all the love they get.

Olajuwan, from what you have told me, seems to be a stand up guy and pillar of the community, but I don't think he should be held in a higher regard in Houston than Biggio and Bagwell, those two are the Houston Astros, the city's favorite team, so they deserve to be put a step higher than Hakeem, even if they didn't win as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back