The ECW Tournament Support Page

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
There are 15 names in the field this year, that had an impact in ECW, and as always, it's my goal to see them do well, and maybe push a potential winner...Running down the bracket, these are the wrestlers:

• Chris Benoit
  • Mick Foley
  • Mike Awesome
  • Rob Van Dam
  • Terry Funk
  • Stevie Richards
  • Shane Douglas
  • Bam Bam Bigelow
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Raven
  • Jerry Lynn
  • Eddie Guerrero
  • Chris Jericho
  • Tazz
  • Buh-Buh Ray Dudley

Foley and Jericho are the 2 best bets to win the whole shebang, but there's potential to pull of some upsets along the way. Funk and Richards face each other in the first round, as do Bam Bam and Mysterio, so even though only one man can win each match, the opportunity is still there to throw out some knowledge and gain momentum for the next round.

Who's with me!?

DISCLAIMER said:
This is by no means an attempt to limit the number of support groups. Feel free to start your own for any member of this list. I'm merely stating where my support lies in the tournament.

hqdefault.jpg

Have you ever seen the Shane Douglas v Terry Funk v Sabu Barbwire Rope match?

Was that the one where Sabu tore his pectoral and then used duct tape to fix it up? Kindergarten stuff.

Yes. They also had a very good sequel to that at Hardcore Homecoming.

And I doubt Benjamin or Kofi have been anywhere near a match as brutal.

Was that the one where Sabu tore his pectoral and then used duct tape to fix it up? Kindergarten stuff.

Yes. They also had a very good sequel to that at Hardcore Homecoming.

And I doubt Benjamin or Kofi have been anywhere near a match as brutal.

Wrong. The match where he tore the hell out of his pectoral was against Terry Funk in a No Rope Barbed Wire Match at Born to Be Wired.

Come on Mr. ECW Historian ;)

Wrong. The match where he tore the hell out of his pectoral was against Terry Funk in a No Rope Barbed Wire Match at Born to Be Wired.

Come on Mr. ECW Historian ;)

I knew when and where, but I could have sworn it was the Triple Threat. Oh well. I blame it on being tired lol

We're down to just FIVE!

• Mick Foley
  • Rob Van Dam
  • Terry Funk
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Chris Jericho

They face off against Lex Luger, Lou Thesz, Jeff Hardy, Ricky Steamboat, and Ted DiBiase, respectively. While these are all solid match-ups, they are all in-fact winnable. Come out and support the ECW name!

We're down to just FIVE!

• Mick Foley
  • Rob Van Dam
  • Terry Funk
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Chris Jericho

They face off against Lex Luger, Lou Thesz, Jeff Hardy, Ricky Steamboat, and Ted DiBiase, respectively. While these are all solid match-ups, they are all in-fact winnable. Come out and support the ECW name!

The Micker should win with ease, RVD is dead, Funker should win in a walk, Rey should win in a close one but you never know, Jericho has had this matchup in a tournament here at least once before and he won by a large margin if I remember correctly.

Still think Raven should be there

Agreed. Windham was great to watch, but not on the same level as Raven.

Wouldn't the "real" ECW be Eastern Championship Wrestling?

If there were guys like Snuka in this tournament, then I'd add that.

The Micker should win with ease, RVD is dead, Funker should win in a walk, Rey should win in a close one but you never know, Jericho has had this matchup in a tournament here at least once before and he won by a large margin if I remember correctly.

RVD is not dead. I'll admit that's the toughest match-up of the five, but it's doable. RVD has a solid list of accomplishments, and was talented in the ring.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that people classify Terry Funk as an ECW guy.

I am fully aware that he is, in reality, an NWA guy, but without Funk, ECW would have never gotten off the floor the way it did. He's an honorary ECW guy in the same vein as Foley.

RVD is not dead. I'll admit that's the toughest match-up of the five, but it's doable. RVD has a solid list of accomplishments, and was talented in the ring.

RVD going over Thesz would be like Ambrose going over Austin. Thesz was an Austin level wrestler, where RVD was pretty much on an Ambrose level... save for the one brief run as WWE champ during the summer, which for me would probably be comparable to Ambrose getting a run against Lesner at Wrestlemania.

Yes RVD has a solid list of accomplishments and was talented... but his resume and skill pale in comparison to Lou Thesz. It'd be an embarrassment if RVD won that match... and that's taking nothing away from RVD saying so.

As for the rest. Foley and Funk should win easily and both deserve to. Steamboat/Mysterio and DiBiase/Jericho are pretty close. I would (and will) argue that Steamboat and DiBiase both deserve the wins, but considering there a generation before most of this board started watching, and Jericho and Mysterio are guys that the majority of this board grew up with, I would be surprised if both Rey and Y2J didn't move on.

You should get 4 out of 5 moving on to the 3rd round, and all 4 will be guys who just have ECW as a point on their resume, and not the main point or bulk of their resumes... which is probably exactly how it should be.

RVD going over Thesz would be like Ambrose going over Austin. Thesz was an Austin level wrestler, where RVD was pretty much on an Ambrose level... save for the one brief run as WWE champ during the summer, which for me would probably be comparable to Ambrose getting a run against Lesner at Wrestlemania.

Yes RVD has a solid list of accomplishments and was talented... but his resume and skill pale in comparison to Lou Thesz. It'd be an embarrassment if RVD won that match... and that's taking nothing away from RVD saying so.

As for the rest. Foley and Funk should win easily and both deserve to. Steamboat/Mysterio and DiBiase/Jericho are pretty close. I would (and will) argue that Steamboat and DiBiase both deserve the wins, but considering there a generation before most of this board started watching, and Jericho and Mysterio are guys that the majority of this board grew up with, I would be surprised if both Rey and Y2J didn't move on.

You should get 4 out of 5 moving on to the 3rd round, and all 4 will be guys who just have ECW as a point on their resume, and not the main point or bulk of their resumes... which is probably exactly how it should be.

Gene Kiniski lost to Scott Hall, and Big Daddy lost to Jeff Hardy. You could throw logic out the window. Jeff has a good shot at beating Funk, and I think RVD also has a chance to beat Thesz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back