The Commentators

scottyshowman82

Getting Noticed By Management
I really like some of the commentators in MMA and I think they do a really good job of educating the fans, promoting the sport and capturing the unique and raw excitement that can only be found in an MMA Cage or ring.

I think Joe Rogan is awesome. It amazes his knowledge of holds and how it's he explains to the audience what this guy is doing or what he needs to do to get the job done and at times he goes into meticulousness detail. And he's a real fan, this guy really loves what he does, and when someone is calling the action and is passionate about they do, you want to watch the fight and you want to know this guy fighting that Rogan is getting so excited about. Sometimes he can be informal compared to other sports broadcasts but I think it adds more to his style and uniqueness.

I didn't realize how much I missed Mike Goldberg, until he him and Rogan got a night off at the last UFC on FX. Not that the guy doing play by play on FX was bad but I missed hearing Goldberg. The things I like most about him is just the sound of his voice and if I heard it anywhere I would know it's him. "And as always this fight will be scored on effective striking, effective grappling and octagon control."

Mauro Ranallo is amazing. If there was an award for best MMA announcer he should probably win each year. He's knows the fighters, he knows what they're doing, he has tremendous passion, and again he's another guy that you can tell he really loves what he does and he's just having a lot of fun out there. I find him quite entertaining lol.

Frank Mir is always excellent and intelligent when he's doing commentary and I'm sure he has a bright future in that when his career runs down. Kenny Florian also is very knowledgable and does a very good job.

What do you think of these guys or other MMA commentators.

My favorite MMA commentary pairs are Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan from UFC, and Sean Wheelock & Jimmy Smith from Bellator. Jon Anik & Kenny Florian are okay, and Mauro Ranallo is really good as he's a versatile sports announcer. The MMA commentator I wasn't a fan of was Gus Johnson.

Mauro Ranallo is amazing. If there was an award for best MMA announcer he should probably win each year. He's knows the fighters, he knows what they're doing, he has tremendous passion, and again he's another guy that you can tell he really loves what he does and he's just having a lot of fun out there. I find him quite entertaining lol.

Not sure if serious..

Anyway, i've never hidden my undying loyalty to Joe Rogan. In my opinion, the guy is the absolute best commentator in sports. He brings an excitement to a UFC show that I haven't experienced since Jim Ross's prime with the WWE. It's clear he has a passion for the sport, he's just a big fan at heart who happens to have great knowledge of the fight game. That is what makes him so good in my opinion, that he legitimately gets excited just like I do. His excitement and enthusiasm makes the UFC better.

Compared to other commentators, nobody comes close to Rogan. I mute Strikeforce whenever it's on to avoid that train wreck they call commentating, Pat is the only decent commentator on that team, the other two have the personalities of a fucking doorknob. Frank Mir is in my opinion, second behind Rogan. The guy has personality and is very knowledgeable on the fights. That said, it takes a special person to make a sporting event better simply through commentating. It's a rare gift and up until I started watching the UFC, i've only witnessed it once with Jim Ross. Joe Rogan has that gift, and I couldn't imagine the UFC without him.

The Voice and Bas Rutten are by far the best commentators in mixed martial arts. They're extremely knowledgeable and entertaining. Bas' accent is a little tough to understand from time to time, but you get used to it. You think Rogan brings an excitement, you have never heard The Voice. Every fight he has ever commentated is a huge deal. Even if it's two flyweights nobody has ever heard of.

Mauro Renallo is also very good. I think he gets a bad rap, but the the partners Showtime gives him for Strikeforce consistently undermine his greatness. except for Pat Miletich. He is very underrated. He knows the game something fierce. His biggest problem is that he always gets overshadowed by the abomination that is Frank Shamrock. If the commentating duo on Strikeforce was just Mauro and Miletich the casual fan would be way more into Strikeforce broadcasts.

I watched a Golden Glory kickboxing event one time where the team was Mauro and Bas and it was beyond awesome.

Rogan and Goldberg are decent, but I think they need a third who really knows the sport to help fill in the blanks that they don't know. Randy Couture would be a good fit for that role. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.

On a different tangent, I think Strikeforce needs to replace the brutally boring Jimmy Lennon Jr. with Lynne Hardt. If she can't get you excited to watch a fight, then you have no pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back