The castrated WWE creative team

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbda1997

SFIV Sensei
With the recent departure of Freddy Prinze Jr from the WWE creative staff (again), some interesting thoughts came to me about what the WWE creative process is really like. My hypothesis is that there is simply nothing “creative” about working as a WWE writer.

Many long-time wrestling fans and the IWC denounce WWE’s use of veteran television writers in lieu of traditional bookers as in years past. I believe that’s a rush to judgment; wouldn’t the people who take these jobs at WWE be wrestling fans just like us? Wouldn’t they be just as interested as we are in creating content that both hardcore & casual fans alike can enjoy?

Let me give you an example from my own experience.. In IT, if you work in operations, no matter how much technical knowledge you yourself might have, your job is simply to take orders and follow pre-baked procedures. Thinking out of the box is simply out of the question. I think of the WWE writers as more of a “creative operations” team. Their role is less about dreaming up compelling storylines and more about taking Vince & Stephanie’s ideas and putting them in a format that is compatible with a 2-hour television show. The tedious work of actually sitting down & writing a TV show script, adhering to industry standards is definitely not something that anyone with a pure pro wrestling background would be willing to do.

I won’t even touch upon the fact that writing scripts for pro wrestlers is ridiculous since they are wrestlers and not actors, but that’s been covered on this board more than enough.

It’s very unfortunate. Vince’s ideas have, at times, made for great TV and brought his company large fortunes, but especially for the past decade or so, most of his ideas offend or simply fall flat. Vince’s role, at this stage in his career should be at the corporate strategic level. If he wants to be involved with the creative process at a strategy level, fine, but his input should boil down to very general directives which map back to WWE’s strategic goals. The writers need to be trusted to come up with ideas which support his directives, but come from a source with a fresh outlook on the business.
Then again, what do any of us know? WWE’s stock price isn’t soaring, but it certainly isn’t a penny stock. As much as I hate to admit it, Vince is still doing something right…

This just opens the door for Mick Foley, that is really where he wants to be and Vince will have another voice he can dominate over....The scripts thing is out of control, ie Randy Orton.....Casterated is a good work Eunuch is a better term now.

Go listen to Dave Lagana's podcast "Formally Creative" on his website Iwantwrestling.com

He interviews many former WWE creative guys, which Dave himself is also. It will shine some light on the WWE creative process and how they "aren't creative".

I think the term WWE Creative is an oxymoron. What exactly have they done recently that is remotely creative. Everything is preticable and everyone knows what's coming. Creative means the fans saying WOW...I did not see that coming at all....(like Nexus invasion)

I think the term WWE Creative is an oxymoron. What exactly have they done recently that is remotely creative. Everything is preticable and everyone knows what's coming. Creative means the fans saying WOW...I did not see that coming at all....(like Nexus invasion)

But that's just it. What I'm saying is that the creative team isn't in a position do anything new/different/unexpected because they are simply translating the McMahons' ideas into television format.

I second listening to Formerly Creative - if every 'smart mark' listened to it, the IWC would fall on its head straight away. Also remember that Ed Koskey is the booker for Raw and Michael Hayes has the book for Smackdown before you berate the McMahons for every decision. Buffy's husband had to work for Hayes who worked for Steph, Johnny Ace and Kevin Dunn who works for Vince.

Also remember that a huge percentage depends on the talent. People are talking about Zach Ryder being kept down but are unsure of a satifactory push and then after that... there aren't exactly great promo guys out there being kept down because they'd make the product too entertaining.

The company has about 10 hours of programming a week to fill, Vince does not personally put the words in the mouths of every performer - he'd have no time to run an international billion dollar company if he did - and creative can only work with what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back