The Best Suicide Dive

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
So I was watching highlights of TNA Genesis and I saw Jeff Jarrett (yes, Jeff Jarrett) do a suicide dive. Now, I'm playing fast and loose with my definition of suicide dive here. Basically, we're just talking a dive from the inside of the ring to the outside of the ring. I wouldn't count AJ Styles' Fosbury Flop or Somersault Plancha, though. We're going for more of a head first thing, straighforward dive thing. I'll list a few.

Mike Awesome:
Pun intended, it was awesome. Joey Styles famously commented that he wished Awesome actually killed himself with his Suicide Dive. That bit him in the ass. All the same, an impressive dive from a big man. Can't remember if it was through or over the ropes though.

The Undertaker:
Undertaker's high, over-the-top-rope dive has been one of those things he's brought out in a big match situation for a while now. It's something to behold, that's for sure. I'm surprised he hasn't severely injured himself from doing it. Definitely one of the better ones.

Austin Aries:
What? The dude's got a brutal looking dive! It's through the ropes, but he manages to do it with what seems to be a lot of force.

Hernandez:
No surprises. For my money, the best one. Yes, Awesome can do a dive (which is over the ropes, isn't it?) despite his size. Undertaker can do one too - very nice. I've never seen either of them do it and land on their fucking feet though. Now that shit is insane. How Hernandez doesn't break his legs I will never know.

Then you've got your Samoa Joes and your cruiserweights and what have you. I dunno. I've run outta steam.

I'll take the Undertaker. This guy is freaking massive and not to mention the biggest thing that he's got that none of the others do: HE'S OLD! He also made it look great. When he would get up in the air and have all the black flying down he looked like the Angel of Death coming to claim a soul. The sheer size, age and look that he brings with it is just great. It's totally outside his moveset but people always mark out for it just because it's awsome.

I'll take Jeff Hardy. His dive features a reckless abandon that I've never seen from anyone else. It's as if he has no idea where he's going to end up.....and he likes it that way.:lol2:

Of course, if I ever see Mark Henry do a suicide dive, I'll quit my job and work full-time for his fan club.

Mike Awesome:
Pun intended, it was awesome. Joey Styles famously commented that he wished Awesome actually killed himself with his Suicide Dive. That bit him in the ass. All the same, an impressive dive from a big man. Can't remember if it was through or over the ropes though.

I'm pretty sure it was over the top ropes, similar to Hernandez. Any who..

Chris Benoit: In all fairness, Chris Benoit was performing this move, the suicide dive, long before I could remember any of the other individuals you named.

One of the most impressive suicide dives I'd seen him do though, would have to be at the Royal Rumble, in 2001. He took on Chris Jericho in a ladder match, and during the part in the match that he dove out of the ring (through the ropes) he went full-speed, head on into a steel chair by Chris Jericho.

I think he only just barely got his hands up, if even. But that was one of the most impressive suicide dives I'd ever seen, especially to get your brains scrambled like he did in that match, by that chair shot.

Chris Benoit: In all fairness, Chris Benoit was performing this move, the suicide dive, long before I could remember any of the other individuals you named.

One of the most impressive suicide dives I'd seen him do though, would have to be at the Royal Rumble, in 2001. He took on Chris Jericho in a ladder match, and during the part in the match that he dove out of the ring (through the ropes) he went full-speed, head on into a steel chair by Chris Jericho.

I think he only just barely got his hands up, if even. But that was one of the most impressive suicide dives I'd ever seen, especially to get your brains scrambled like he did in that match, by that chair shot.

I watched that match a night or two ago and that dive is defines brutal. It's shots like that that make it easy to understand how his brain resembled that of an 80 year old.

He's my pick as well, mainly because most of the time he'd usually end up causing himself a serious mischief as opposed to his opponents. If you watch any of the 'don't try this at home' segments before they started editing him out, then you see him doing one on Booker T where Booker pretty much just pushes him aside, and Benoit just sails ribs first into the edge of the announce table and the table barely moves.

Also, in reference to Hernandez landing on his feet, doesn't that immediately eliminate the whole suicide aspect of a suicide dive? Every other guy mentioned simply jumps and prays, yet he just lands on his feet and shrugs it off.

The man with the best suicide dives is the Phenomenal AJ Styles. They are truly phenomenal- LOLZ pun intended!!!!!!!!!!ZZ!!!!!!

But in all seriousness they are perfect the are truly an amazing thing to watch. His swanton like dive over the op rope is insane, my favorite version of this is when he dove out of the cage dorr and hit abyss at lockdown a few years ago. His other main sucide dive is the shooting star press over the top rope, THAT is a thing of beauty. Its graceful and spectacular to watch and he never actually touches the ropes when hes doing it, which makes it look so fantastic. He also does a springboard shooting star press suicide dive which gets so much elevation is ridiculous, when he pulled off this move in the Unbreakable 3 way match that was one of the X divisions best highlights.

Samoa Joe or Hernandez

Joe's dive is through the ropes and sometimes with his elboow.I wouldn't like to see joe flying at you from the ring about to crush you between 280 pounds and a steel railing

Hernandez's one is just insane.He clears the ropes by about 3 feet and lands on his feet.Great for when you have lots of men bunched up.

Other mentions:Homicide,Jay Lethal,Sonjay dutt and AJ

I've always loved the high-flying daring moves. I don't think there's any more of an adrenaline rush than seeing your favorite wrestler scale the titantron, or leaping off a truck.

That being said, my all-time favorite suicide dive, would be Vic Grimes landing on New Jack's head. It wasn't an overly impressive dive, and he definitely messed up, but I've never liked New Jack, and love seeing it everytime I come across the video.

If you want to count it as a "dive", I loved when Matt Hardy hit the Side Effect on Edge off of the stage on to the tables below. It cemented Matt Hardy's place in WWE, and helped to give him the "Never Say Die" attitude that has become his "trademark".

I also can't post here without mentioning Mick Foley getting thrown off the cell. It is the definition of a suicide dive, and will be what every other dive is compared to.

Great choices, Sam. I do love Taker's dive, but Austin Aries is my man. You hit the nail in the head with your description- it's just through the ropes but he delivers it with such force. He just seems like such an angry little man when he performs that move. It's crazy.

Hernandez definitely, especially since most of the "suicide dives" mentioned aren't really suicide dives. Plus, his size makes his dive even more impressive, because he always hits it perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back