• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The best Ric Flair title match

thewrestlinghero

Pre-Show Stalwart
Well by now every pro wrestling fan in the world no's who is ric flair is and that he won 16 world championships and we all no about his title regins to like his last title regin as interioncial champion for example and we also no that almost every single ric flair title match rather he was defending the title or going for the gold there was at least one thing memorable about each title match and each title regins granted i dont no all of them by heart or have not witness or seen everysingle title regins and every single title match but i was wondering what was flair best title match i no he had tons of him against sting triple h vader harley race rick steamboat etc. well i dont think its his best title match but its one of my favorite it was him against rick steamboat awsome match and steamboat won the nwa title and i was happy he won it cause i like flair and steamboat alot espically in nwa and wcw so i was wondering what do you think is the best flair title match or or your favorite title match and why

I have to say the title unification match against sting Clash of the Champions XXVII, incredible match.

Not really sure what the event was, but it was in the NWA days, and was Ric Flair defending the world title vs. "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin. I think maybe he won a date with Precious with the win?...but anyways it was a fantastic match with Garvin comingthisclose to winning the title, both men bloodied, and really put Garvin over as a singles competitor in my humble opinion.

Flair had so many really good world title matches it's hard to pick just one. The match mentioned in this thread against Jimmy Garvin was an excellent match (steel cage) from the 1987 Great American Bash.

His best opponents were probably Dusty Rhodes and Sting. I would say Flair's best match with Rhodes was probably Dusty's title win in the cage at the 1986 Great American Bash. The Title Unification Match with Sting mentioned earlier in this thread was good (from 1994, this match lead to Hulk Hogan's arrival in WCW) but I think their best match was the 1988 Clash Of Champions. That match more than any other put Sting on the map and got the wrestling public to notice him as a legitimate main event star.

Certainly the Flair/Steamboat matches were always good, with their 1989 series being considered by most experts as one of the best main event programs in wrestling in the last thirty years. PPl still rave about those matches. It's hard to pick which was best, although I would vote for the middle match, the best of three falls bout where Steamboat was champ in the Super Dome in New Orleans, a 54 minute marathon.

Flair also had phenomenal matches in 1987 with Barry Whyndam. Their hour long match on NWA WorldWide Wrestling program is probably the crown jewel of the first Flair DVD WWE did in 2003. Their final match in the series, at the Crockett Cup Tournmament, was also 5 star quality. Whyndam never looked better than he did in those matches that year.

Speaking of never looking better, check out the WWE's Starrcade retrospective DVD and watch the Flair/Lex Luger match from Starrcade 88. A fast paced, non stop, 33 minute battle in which Luger looks 10 times better than he ever did against any other opponent. Proof that Flair in his prime could make average wrestler's look really good and really good wrestler's look great.

Flair's wrestlemania match against Randy Savage also deserves consideration. The entire match against the backdrop of the feud that preceeded it was pulled off almost perfectly. If you were picking Savage's best matches this would be in your Top 3.

Flair's performance in the 1992 Royal Rumble has long been considered one of the greatest in Rumble history. The number of main event stars in that match (Hogan, Savage, Jake Roberts, Undertaker, Sid Justice, Shawn Michaels, Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase) plus former world champions like Sgt Slaughter and Kerry Von Erich, this was a rumble line up to die for. Flair took every big press slam, over the top rope clothesline, turnbuckle flip, etc you can think of and bounced around non stop for 62 minutes, selling virtually everyone's best moves. Flair's expression at the 30 minute mark when he collapses in center ring after eliminating Von Erich and Boss Man, only to see Piper making his way to the ring, is one of the classic Flair moments in his career.

Flair's 1994 Great American Bash match against Hulk Hogan deserves honorable mention, especially since this is probably one of the two or three best matches Hogan ever had.

The 2006 TLC Match against Edge for the WWE Title also deserves mention. Flair was 56 years old and took multiple falls off the top the ladder, bled everywhere, and he and Edge worked the crowd like crazy, keeping everyone on the edge of their seat till the final bell. This match was probably the best match Flair had in his last hurrah with WWE, slightly ahead of his 2003 World Title Match with HHH or their 2005 Hell In A Cell Match.

I personally thought Flair had to be carried alot of his matches by the more skilled wrestler with the better ring psychology....Anyways, the best Flair match that stands out in my mind was the '94 duel with Hogan....Ric made Hogan look real good that day and stands imo as his best piece of work.

My criteria is that the title match should be for a promotion that's still around, toodles WCW title matches. It should also be for a title that still carries some weight, arevaderche NWA piece of tin. Hello WWF Championship.

The Royal Rumble 1992. For the WWF Championship and Ric Flair carried it from start to finish. Or maybe his Mania match vs. Savage if you want a singles match.

Anyone please.. Does anyone see anything Wrong with this statement

"I personally thought Flair had to be carried a lot of his matches by the more skilled wrestler with the better ring psychology"

Not trying to be a jerk man, but Flair was a master of ring psychology, he was an amazing wrestler, and If you didn't really know about working a match and the ins and the outs, I can see how you could look at a flair match and think it was him needing to be carried, but if you really look, and really pay attention, you'll see that it was the other way around, he carried many of the people he had matches with, he made people stars, his philosophy was make the other guy look better and it would make you look better, so By getting his butt whipped, it would look like the other guy was the star, (granted he did work some greats) but it was flair all along.. (also guy who said i'm gonna say none.. the question I believe was best flair match.. so the best of his matches.. so obviously there is a best, none doesn't really work as an answer lol):flair:

Well by now every pro wrestling fan in the world no's who is ric flair is and that he won 16 world championships and we all no about his title regins to like his last title regin as interioncial champion for example and we also no that almost every single ric flair title match rather he was defending the title or going for the gold there was at least one thing memorable about each title match and each title regins granted i dont no all of them by heart or have not witness or seen everysingle title regins and every single title match but i was wondering what was flair best title match i no he had tons of him against sting triple h vader harley race rick steamboat etc. well i dont think its his best title match but its one of my favorite it was him against rick steamboat awsome match and steamboat won the nwa title and i was happy he won it cause i like flair and steamboat alot espically in nwa and wcw so i was wondering what do you think is the best flair title match or or your favorite title match and why

Flair had so many classic matches in the 80's, I have so many on VHS and DVD and I loved mostly all of them, but my favorite title win would be when he beat Harley Race for the belt at the first ever Starrcade, but favorite match where he lost the title would be from 1990 at Great American Bash when Sting beat him. Either way, Ric has created so many classic memories for me in the sport of pro wrestling and I will forever love him for it.

I personally thought Flair had to be carried alot of his matches by the more skilled wrestler with the better ring psychology....Anyways, the best Flair match that stands out in my mind was the '94 duel with Hogan....Ric made Hogan look real good that day and stands imo as his best piece of work.

Is this guy serious? Ric Flair was a master at making the OTHER guy look good and putting him in his class if only for one match. Flair may very well be one of the best ring guys ever, alongside Steamboat.

mines would have to be vs Dusty Rhodes July 26 1986 steel cage at the Great American bash also vs steamboat in Chicago 2/20/89. honestly i enjoy just about all of flairs title match in my opinion the gut is timeless

It's really hard to pick 1 Ric Flair match as the best because I'm a Huge "Nature Boy" fan but my choice would be the match he had against Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat in Chicago . the build up was great the match itself kicked ass the tempo of the match was awesome. they really kicked it up a notch in that match .

mines would have to be vs Dusty Rhodes July 26 1986 steel cage at the Great American bash also vs steamboat in Chicago 2/20/89. honestly i enjoy just about all of flairs title match in my opinion the gut is timeless

I loved the Flair/Steamboat matches from the late 80's and I loved their 1994 Spring Stampede contest as well, hehe that was back pre-1995 when WCW was good ;)

I too love all the Flair/Steamboat matches but my personal favorite is one someone else already touched on, and that is Flair vs Race in a steel cage. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it was Flair's 2nd title win. To me this match has just the right mix of brutality and good technical wrestling. I will give honorable mention to Flair vs Savage at Mania 8 that match was awesome as well but my personal favorite is Flair vs Race.

I too love all the Flair/Steamboat matches but my personal favorite is one someone else already touched on, and that is Flair vs Race in a steel cage. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it was Flair's 2nd title win. To me this match has just the right mix of brutality and good technical wrestling. I will give honorable mention to Flair vs Savage at Mania 8 that match was awesome as well but my personal favorite is Flair vs Race.

Yes, the cage match from Starrcade was an amazing match and it was Flairs 2nd NWA World Championship win, but you wouldn't know it the way the whole crowd cheered Flair as if he had just done the impossible. It was amazing.

Yes, the cage match from Starrcade was an amazing match and it was Flairs 2nd NWA World Championship win, but you wouldn't know it the way the whole crowd cheered Flair as if he had just done the impossible. It was amazing.

Yeah everything about this match is amazing. Like I said in my first post it had just the right mix of brutality and technical wrestling, the crowd like you said was super hot. Remember in this match as opposed to most of the other memorable Flair title matches Race was the legendary great champion, and while Flair was not new to the business by any means he had only been champion once before. Plus the match was in Flair Country which just added to how hot the crowd was. On top of all that Gordon Solie had the call and I love his calls. When he won and the crowd blew the roof off the joint and other wrestlers came in to congragulat him it was awesome.

Yeah everything about this match is amazing. Like I said in my first post it had just the right mix of brutality and technical wrestling, the crowd like you said was super hot. Remember in this match as opposed to most of the other memorable Flair title matches Race was the legendary great champion, and while Flair was not new to the business by any means he had only been champion once before. Plus the match was in Flair Country which just added to how hot the crowd was. On top of all that Gordon Solie had the call and I love his calls. When he won and the crowd blew the roof off the joint and other wrestlers came in to congragulat him it was awesome.

I loved how all the other wrestlers in the back were celebrating with him when he got to the locker room area and how they came into the ring and put the belt on Flair after the win, man wrestling will never be as good as it was at that period of time.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back