• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Best "If Cena Wins, We Riot" Type of Match

TWJC: The Beginning

Royal Rumble Winner
So as well as I can remember, there are three distinct "If Cena Wins, We Riot" (the sign) matches.

One Night Stand vs RVD; Money in the Bank vs CM Punk; and Wrestlemania vs Rock.

There are probably others with the sign, but those ones stand out the most because they truly felt like a clash of culture. So my question is, which is your favorite. You can rank them, pick your fav, hate all of them (I know SOMEONE will), whatever you want. Just make sure you have a favorite and say why.

One Night Stand... because back then the sign was an original idea and not a copycat. We all know no one really would've rioted, but if you had to pick an audience out of the 3 where a riot would've had the highest chance of happening, it's One Night Stand.

Rob Van Dam vs John Cena at One Night Stand 2006.

The crowd was electric. They chanted "F*ck you Cena", "You can't Wrestle", "same old shit", "You still suck" etc.
Yea, that was fun, because during the match, RVD botched a spot, and pretty much only did the same shit he'd been doing for 10 years.

I think the best thing about these matches is how they work the crowds. Like Punk saying "Me?" when they chanted "you can't wrestle".

My favorite is probably the match vs Punk. I don't take any "ECW" crowd after it closed as legit, likely just a bunch of ECW fan wannabes. Amazing storytelling, probably the truest emotion too.

It's crazy that Cena has lost all of these matches when you think about it.

Cena vs RVD at ONS stands out the most simply because I actually wanted to see if fans would actually riot if Cena had won. I could only have imagined the news reports if that had actually happened. It had the potential to be the biggest ROTFcopter event in human history, but would have garnered horrible publicity for the WWE.

I didn't buy the "If Cena wins we riot" fiasco going on at Mania against The Rock. At most fans would have boo'ed and been horribly disapointed afterwards.

Yea, that was fun, because during the match, RVD botched a spot, and pretty much only did the same shit he'd been doing for 10 years.

I think the best thing about these matches is how they work the crowds. Like Punk saying "Me?" when they chanted "you can't wrestle".

My favorite is probably the match vs Punk. I don't take any "ECW" crowd after it closed as legit, likely just a bunch of ECW fan wannabes. Amazing storytelling, probably the truest emotion too.

It's crazy that Cena has lost all of these matches when you think about it.

The audience was loaded with long time ECW fans, and was as "Legit" as you could hope for. I live 10 minutes from Swanson & Ritner (site of the ECW arena in Philly) and have been to countless ECW shows also in the Hammerstein ballroom in NY... and watching ONS on PPV was like going to a reunion. Rest assured when I tell you... that crowd was legit. For old times sakes I'd also like to say F*** NEW YORK!

The audience was loaded with long time ECW fans, and was as "Legit" as you could hope for. I live 10 minutes from Swanson & Ritner (site of the ECW arena in Philly) and have been to countless NY ECW shows also in that ballroom... and watching ONS on PPV was like going to a reunion. Rest assured when I tell you... that crowd was legit.
Even so, the ECW crowd annoys me. They aren't as smart as they think they are. I consider smarky IWC types with no business sense to be evil because they suggest ******ed ideas and expect the WWE to not book good business decisions. In essence, the ECW audience is the root of all evil when it comes to bitchy forum members.

I LOVE the energy of the ECW crowd and I think it's fun as a niche, but you shouldn't run a nationally broadcasted wrestling company based on them. Ask Paul Heyman how that works out.

I think maybe the same reason a lot of guys on here like the ONS match is the same reason I like the Punk match. I'm an old ROH guy. I remember the red mat, the ridiculously long shows, etc. I've followed Punk since before his ROH days. I've followed Cena since I saw him on a discovery channel special and he was the Prototype. It meant a lot more to me to see those guys absolutely tear the house down.

I think they all stand out for different reasons... The ECW one was great bc it was the first and it had genuine hatred for John Cena, even I was wondering what the crowd would do... the whole throwing his shirt back was CLASSIC... The one with CM Punk probably had the best storyline going along with it, and it was one burning hot crowd and because we didn't know Punk's status we really weren't sure what would happen, I mean we all knew if Punk won he re-signed, but we didn't know for sure if he did or not... and the last one, the Rock, was noteworthy given how huge the hype for the match was and the overwhelming popularity Dwayne has. So I am hard pressed to pick from the 3, I'm actually torn between MITB and ONS, partly because MITB is still fresh in my mind, and had that element of surprise with it (i think i was pretty sure RVD would win it, even though I wasn't 100% on whether they'd actually give RVD the ball despite him deserving it). The Rock Cena match was probably the biggest surprise to him losing as I was sure he'd win that one, but I think that match was over hyped. Ok, I'm going with MITB

Even so, the ECW crowd annoys me. They aren't as smart as they think they are. I consider smarky IWC types with no business sense to be evil because they suggest ******ed ideas and expect the WWE to not book good business decisions. In essence, the ECW audience is the root of all evil when it comes to bitchy forum members.

I LOVE the energy of the ECW crowd and I think it's fun as a niche, but you shouldn't run a nationally broadcasted wrestling company based on them. Ask Paul Heyman how that works out.

I think maybe the same reason a lot of guys on here like the ONS match is the same reason I like the Punk match. I'm an old ROH guy. I remember the red mat, the ridiculously long shows, etc. I've followed Punk since before his ROH days. I've followed Cena since I saw him on a discovery channel special and he was the Prototype. It meant a lot more to me to see those guys absolutely tear the house down.

I think you're getting a bit off topic here... I was just telling you that that crowd was legit.

It's funny that you say that ECW crowds aren't as smart as they think they are... quite frankly they aren't. I remember hearing the dumbest conversations & being surrounded by morons while waiting in line to get into that bingo hall. But one thing they do know is when a good product is put in front of them, and there was a time ECW always delivered. Going to see ECW and following it up with a Pat/Gino's cheesesteak was the SH**. Lots of it is nostalgia... but damn, that was a great time.... it's understandable why those fans defend it so passionately.

nothing will ever top one night stand in 06. that crowd wouldnt shut up and like everyone has been saying, that crowd would of started a riot if cena did win. those fans have done crazy sh*t before and to have cena beat a guy like rvd who is a ecw legend...yeah that could of gotten ugly

I gained alot of respect for Cena at ONS, thought he handled it really well and is possibly my favourite match of his.

Wouldn't Cena vs Edge in Toronto be included as well?

gotta go with RVD vs Cena as my favorite i actullay think if cena had won that match there might have been a riot ECW fans are fucking crazy you never know what the hell there gonna do and the fact they chanted fuck you cena,you cant wrestle,same old shit man cant replace that gotta love the ecw fans plus the match itself was badass id say punk and cena is 2nd best because that match was really good but i loved rvd vs cena

For me it's awfully up in the air with Punk vs RVD. Honestly I don't even consider the Rock because by the time they got to Mania I personally was hoping Cena would win but that's for some other thread. Both matches though with RVD and then with Punk were so perfectly set up. Cena came into both hostile cities where they let Cena know he was public enemy number 1. If I had to chose, I guess I'll go with RVD only because it reminded me of ECW and plus how Edge screwed Cena was great. Both matches are something to remember though for sure.

The best by far, in my humble opinion, was the match at Money in the Bank against CM Punk. Nothing comes even remotely close. One of the best crowds, if not the best I have ever seen. Pure hatred towards Cena, nothing short of hero worship for the rebel CM Punk (who, technically, was the heel in that match). I've been watching this crap for over 20 years (I'm pathetic, I know) and I don't think I ever felt such an off-the-scale energy from a crowd. That the match easily was the best in Cena's career (and maybe Punk's, too) probably helped. Sorry to go all cliché here but this was magical.

This match also marked the very last time Punk walked out to his old ring music. :( As much as "Cult of Personality" fits him, the old one was one of the best of all time.

Best Match: Money in the Bank - vs CM Punk: The match and the storyline heading into it was just so well done. In just a few weeks CM Punk went from just another heel, albeit a very good heel, to feed to top babyfaces like Cena and Orton to being a true Superstar on the same level as Orton and Cena. and the match itself was great because that was one of the few times at a "filler" PPV where you didn't know who was going to win. and it wasn't until CM Punk blew that kiss to Vince and took off through the crowd that I thought that he was going to leave the show as champion, because even going into the PPV I was convinced that they were going to either have Cena win, or have Punk win and then whoever won MITB would cash in and win. plus the match itself was about 35 minutes which is a pretty long match by WWE Standards, which I liked.

Best Audience/Most Likely to Actually Riot if Cena won: One Night Stand - vs Rob Van Dam: I like the smaller venues because you can't get that same rabid, intimate atmosphere in a large arena, let alone a massive outdoor stadium.

I might have watched Cena V RVD at ONS 2006 a few times.

The crowd and the atmosphere was just amazing. The chants, the toilet paper thrown, it was just so energetic. There will never be another match like that, although Money in the bank was very good too, not to mention wrestlemania 28.

Definitely Cena vs. RVD at ONS,

I have never and yet to this day see what we all saw there,
The crowd throwing back a t-shirt at a wrestler,
not just one time...I think it was 2 or 3 times he tried,just ended up dropping it on the apron.

Regardless if you hated the ECW crowd, they we're legit. I am damn sure they would have rioted because they're insane. ECW crowds actually get into what's going on. To be honest, that's the only crowd I wouldn't fuck with.

ONS in 06 was the best!! It felt legit and real real hatred towards Cena!! Cena the champion who everyone in the area and probably to the people serving beverages just hate him on site. The crowd that night was electric Fuck You Cena You Cant wrestle wow no winning for Cena that night.

CM punk was great too only because no one was quite sure if Punk was gonna leave the company or not!!! As it turns out he signed a contract minutes before the match but no one knew that. That crowd was loud very vocal against Cena. That also felt legit and if Cena had won can you imagine Chicago erupting? The Rock V Cena to be quite honest i didnt see any signs and i was looking for them!! But ONS was the best one!!

Out of the three, my pick is One-Night-Stand Cena Vs RVD, and by a long way. The way Cena bathed in the reaction of that crowd, is something that should be shown to students (or even experts) who are scared of public speaking or afraid of speaking in front of a section of hostile crowd. I have seen that video clip thousand times already, and many a times before going to a critical meeting at my workplace. It gives me a kind of hope that - it can't be worse than this.

I don't know if there was ever a moment like this in the history of WWE that not only their top guy's t-shirt was thrown back in the ring, but a toilet paper was thrown on his as well. I remember that this clip was shown to me by a hater of Cena to tell me that why Cena is hated worldwide, but it worked the other way for me. I have Cena's DVD (My life), where Tazz and Mic Foley expressed their views on that match and they told how other wrestlers would have chickened out of that match, and how Cena made most of it.

I think this probably was the moment that encouraged WWE to make Cena's character even more polarized towards different demographics. Honestly speaking, Cena vs Punk looks pale to me in comparison.

Without a doubt, the best "If Cena wins, we riot" match has to be the match Cena had against RVD. ECW has a very devoted fanbase and ECW fans were in general a rather bloodthirsty lot. I actually thought that there was a good chance of a riot breaking out in that match. Another thing worth noting is that the Cena hating was at it's peak in 2006. Every single thing Cena did was booed. After some initial "you can't wrestle" chants, Cena tried some out a few different moves, but even that was not accepted by the crowd who continued to tell him that he sucked. I also thing that Cena was a bit rattled here. After all, this much hatred was new for even him. Unlike against Punk or against Rock, I felt that somehow Cena was not expecting the crowd to be this one sided. I could be wrong but that is what I felt.

Cena vs Punk was a similarly styled match-up but somehow I did not feel that the fans would riot. Perhaps because it was 2011 and the rabid Cena hate had subdued by this point. I would argue that in 2006, the hate was more genuine, in the sense that people actually hated Cena. By 2011, there were more people chanting "Cena sucks" for fun's sake rather than out of genuine hatred. Also ROH fans unlike ECW fans are not a bloodthirsty, unruly lot.

Cena vs Rock, despite Rocky being the biggest star out of the three, had possibly the least possibility of causing a riot. A big reason for this would have to be the fact that even though Cena was booed, most people had resigned themselves to the fact that Cena would win. After all, being the current face of the company in what was thought to be a "passing of torch" match, that move made sense. Rock's win just shocked the fuck out of everyone here.

I believe the best has yet to come...

The best Cena Wins/We Riot match will be when Cena actually wins and the crowd actually riots....LOL. Its going to be so epic.

RVD vs cena...wouldve ended in a riot if cena won
Punk vs cena... wouldve had a few people jumping in the ring
Rock vs cena... wouldve had a few people jumping in the ring

I can confirm this because im one of those crazy people who wouldve jumped in the ring if cena won one of those matches. And it only takes ONE person to start a riot. You have a hot crowd like that and one idiot like me and his friends jumping over = a huge crowd jumping over.

This is half of the reason cena lost those 3 matches...the other halfs being pushing RVD/New ECW, Pushing Punk/contract dispute and vince sucking rocks dick/rocks ego.

John Cena vs. RVD at One Night Stand 2006 for the WWE Championship.

If John Cena had won there would have been a riot that night. Whether they were "ECW fan wannabes" or not, they would have followed through because to them ECW was like a cult. And the chances are a majority of them were either ECW Original fans or had been brought to ECW events as a kid, because that night was the first night where you had an arena full of anti-Cena fans. Before ONS there had been arena that may have had 3/4 of the crowd against Cena or whatever, but never fully, and never with a passion as the crowd had in the Hammerstein Ballroom.

John Cena embodies the opposite of what ECW was about. They'd reason to not like him, he was WWE Champion, at this time people were turning against John in hoards cause "He couldn't wrestle", he'd never featured in ECW before and he was going against their popular face in Rob Van Dam. Plus, ECW having the WWE Championship was just a pretty cool story.

Loved that match. It was atmosphere defined, CM Punk vs. John Cena was good and I wouldn't have bee surprised if some fans did attempt to begin a riot but after the match they had you could see people respected John more on the night after than when the match began. Riot at Wrestlemania, yeah, wouldn't have happened. Crowd didn't come across all that rabid either. Had nothing on either the Manhattan Center or the All-State Arena.

Punk and Cena was definitely the best. It was the best match out of the three listed here by the OP, and Punk is just infinitely better than RVD. All he did in the match were a bunch of awkward/forced spots. I also agree with another poster that used Cena VS Edge in Toronto as an example.

Didn't Cena actually win that match, though?

Cena vs Edge. The crowd didn't even throw garbage into the ring and Cena won. That one qualifies as the worst.

Best ever? Cena vs RVD. Philly would have been on fire and I don't think Cena or JBL would have gotten out without getting stabbed.

Itd be interesting to see what would actually happen if Cena won a "IF CENA WINS WE RIOT" match, at ONS in '06 i could genuinely see a chance of a riot, but not at wm. Cena has annoyed me and several other fans for years however, he can take a lot of bashing! which is fair play, and now that he lost to the rock, and is getting sought out by brock (who i feel has to win at extreme rules) im starting to like him abit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back