• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best and Worst PPV of 2014?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Well, the year is over and I don't think there were any truly great PPV's, although there were some really good ones. My favorite would probably be Summerslam. Or maybe Money in the Bank. Just felt the most consistent with high quality matches/compelling feuds.

My least favorite would probably be Battleground. The 'Ambrose Vs Rollins' match (or lack of) pissed me off and everything else was mediocre, the exception being 'Rusev Vs Swagger'. Extreme Rules didn't impress me very much outside of 'Shield Vs Evolution'.

Wrestlemania was good, but I felt the Kane/New Age Outlaws Vs Shield match was bland and 'Lesnar Vs Undertaker' nearly put me asleep until the finish.

What about you?

I'd have to say none of them really stood out for me either, although there were a few moments that I really enjoyed. Least favourite PPV has to be Battleground as well, and best PPV is probably.......God, I really don't know. Nothing has really stood out. I guess I'd have to go with SummerSlam because of Cena getting his @$$ handed to him.

I'm going to have to go with Payback. This was the first world title free PPV there has been since I can remember if there was one. This was the first PPV in a while where I felt they were bringing some prestige back to the IC/US titles. RVD went up against Barrett for his IC title and Sheamus defended against Cesaro. Both pairs put on a decent match. Cena vs Wyatt was for me definitely in my top 5 matches of the year. They put on a spectacle and even though I feel Wyatt deserved the victory more, at the end of the day I was amazed with both of their performances. The Shield vs Evolution was the match of the night and it went on for so long with so many good spots, I was surprised with the clean sweep. Although the pre-show and several other matches were mediocre, those 4 matches I mentioned made me forget about the rest.

An honorable mention would definitely be MITB. The Uso's vs Wyatt's was the best way to kick off a PPV and bring some excitment. The MITB match was hands down one of the best ones I've seen yet and Ambrose killed it out there and made the match. The World title ladder match could have been a lot better and the other matches were pretty dreadful.

The worst was probably Battleground like MartialHorror said, the lack of Ambrose vs Rollins match was a such a let down. The Wyatt vs Jericho match was interesting and the fatal four way for the title was pretty decent. Although it was pretty much centered around Reigns and Cena outdoing one another, it was decent at best and predictable since it was made out Lesnar was returning for Summerslam.

Dishonorable mention would be NOC, whole bunch of matches which had already happened before through out the year. Excluding Mark Henry vs Rusev.

The problem is most PPVs this year were defined by one 4.5 - 5 star match, gimmick or storyline. At the Royal Rumble, it was Bryan vs Wyatt, at Elimination Chamber it was The Shield vs The Wyatts, Mania had Bryan doing double duty, Extreme Rules and Payback had Shield vs Evolution, Money In the Bank had ladders, Battleground featured a good tag match between The Usos and The Wyatts, Summerslam had Lesnar beating up Cena, Night of Champions was the last we saw of Lesnar until a few days ago, Hell In A Cell had Ambrose vs Rollins stealing the show, Survivor Series had Sting and TLC had Ziggler steal the show.

As for the Best, I would have to give it to Mania. I know it's a lazy pick, but it had a lot more than all the other PPVs. Worst would have to go to Battleground.

Nothing really comes to mind as the best. or as the worst at this point. Everything is so generic and uninteresting, that you can't even find anything memorable to make it the best or the worst.

I'm trying hard to remember, and I will say maybe MITB or Summerslam or WM. I don't have any other memorable ones though. I mean, sure we had Shield vs Evolution, but the general card felt so out of touch all the time.

As for worst, eh, same problem, so many bad PPVs, I can't really pick one. So many PPVs without the WWEWHC there, so many random title defense (Kane vs Bryan), I don't know. Maybe NOC or HIAC.

2014 had some good matches but it wasn't a good year. Some matches mentioned were very interesting and that's why some ppvs stood out. I will have to go with the Summerslam as the best and then Wrestlemania,Mitb and Payback. The least good ppv was battleground and then has to be Night of Champions.

It's a close call for each for me.

Best, I'd go with either Extreme Rules or Survivor Series. Extreme Rules had the best crowd all year, and listening to the crowd rabidly boo Big E worse than anyone (except maybe John Cena) was hysterical. Seeing Bad News Barrett win the Intercontinental Championship again was a great moment as well. Survivor Series had a lot of really good matches, and the only bad part of the show was Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt in their first snoozefest. The Survivor Series Match was an instant classic and proved once and for all that Dolph Ziggler is a main event talent.

Worst, I'd say was either Hell in a Cell or TLC. Hell in a Cell was an awful show, and only Ziggler/Cesaro saved it from being a total loss. TLC was an overall terrible event. There were no great matches, just one or two ok ones, and most of the matches were garbage. They were both horrible events, but I'd say TLC was worse. One of the worst PPVs I've ever seen.

For the worst one, it's a really tough call because there were plenty of bad ones. Battleground, Night of Champions, Hell in a Cell, and TLC all stand out. I will go with TLC because I felt it literally only had 1 good match. The very first match of Ziggler and Harper for the IC Title was really good. Everything after that was garbage. That's never good when the ppv peaks with its very first match. It was all down hill after that.

As for the best ppv, for me it's between WrestleMania XXX and Payback. 2 of my favorite matches this year were Daniel Bryan vs. Triple (WM30) and The Shield vs. Evolution (No Holds Barred Elimination Match @ Payback). Mania had its bad parts, as Taker vs. Lesnar was awful (nobody's fault though since Taker was injured) and they should've booked The Shield better (putting them up against the dinosaurs of Kane & the New Age Outlaws was a bad move). It was still overall the best Mania since WM26 though, so I'll rank it slightly above Payback seeing how they started and ended it with great matches and actually put Bryan over.

Worst PPV? That's easy. Royal Rumble. That show will go down in history for being so epically bad and misbooked. Suprised no one has went with that as their answer yet. Maybe they're just marks for that particular show because the actual Royal Rumble match was on the card. But top to bottom, that card was garbage. Even Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan from that card was average for a Daniel Bryan match IMO. You want an underwhelming experience in the wrestling ring, just throw Bray Wyatt in there. He's been proving that ALL year long. And his nonsense he spews on the mic doesn't entertain me very much either. I do like his presence on camera, but everything Bray ends up being involved in is underwhelming for whatever reason. He needs some tweaks made to his character. Tough to be an edgy character in a PG world though.

I'm very suprised by all the hate for Battleground. OP said it was all bad except for Swagger and Rusev. That's just simply not true. The Usos and Rowan & Harper put on the sleeper PPV match of all 2014. I'll agree with OP that Swagger and Rusev was very well done too. I never cared more about Jack Swagger than when he first turned face to go against Rusev. And call me a mark for a good battle royal, but I thought the IC battle royal was very good too. It started Ziggler's push over again and had a few suprises that were very entertaining. Sure the lack of a Rollins/Ambrose match was disappointing, but that match had no contest/sports entertainment finish written all over it before the match even started. And yeah, I know the match actually never got started, but you know what I mean. It was the opening of their feud and you knew it would get plenty of time to play out over the coming months. I think all the people who are against Battleground, are against it simply because the Rollins/Ambrose match never happened. The rest of the PPV was at least solid. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. Although that main event was pretty ho hum, to put it nicely. But dammit CENA AND REIGNS ARE IN IT AND YOU HAVE TO LIKE THEM OR ELSE YOU MUST LIVE IN YOUR MOM'S BASEMENT AND ARE PATHETIC BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE INTERCHANGEABLE STEROID GUYS THAT THE WWE WANTS YOU TO CHEER FOR. (BTW just put Reigns against Cena at Wrestlemania instead of Lesnar, if you're that worried about Reigns backlash from the crowd) Anyway, Battleground was FAR from the worst PPV of 2014.

Top to bottom, I can't think of a card that I truly enjoyed the whole way through. A good match here and a good match there. Survivor Series main event was entertaining, but the rest of that card was a snoozer. Summerslam had a memorable moment in Lesnar squashing Cena, but it was right back to the status quo with Cena's booking after that. So really, that result achieved nothing. (It's really gonna achieve nothing when Cena beats Lesnar for the title at the Rumble.) By default, I'll go with Wrestlemania because it had the moment a lot of fans were begging to see with DB winning the WWE title.

Part of the reason I think many people don't list the Royal Rumble is that as bad as it was at the time, it ended up leading to Daniel Bryan's triumphant Wrestlemania victory. That was when WWE finally realized what they had on their hands, so in retrospect, it worked out.

I'm surprised at the hate towards the WWW 2014 ppv line up - I've said on here, and I'll say again, I think it's their best year for ppv since 2001. True, the tv shows have largely sucked, but as stand alone WRESTLING events, I've really enjoyed the ppv output this year.

This was the first year I've ever been to two WWE ppvs (I live in England and have an annual holiday to Wrestlemania but this year attended Payback as well) and, along with Money in the Bank, they are my top 3, with Payback just edging it for me, as I felt there wasn't a single bad match, and the 2 headline matches were superb. Wrestlemania, however, had the two stand-out moments of the year in Daniel Bryan's title win (and 70 thousand people chanting YES into the Bourbon Street night) and the conquering of the streak, which practically silenced an entire stadium. Though the match of the year was IMO the Money in the Bank ladder match.

The worst? Sandwiching the year were the mediocre Royal Rumble and TLC ppvs, both of which had the opener as their strongest match. Other than those two, Night of Champions (which is one 'gimmick' ppv I would scrap personally) wasn't great but everything else was decent. But TLC for me was the weakest, the onlyatches I really enjoyed were the ladder and TLC matches, everything else was just 'meh'.

Overall:
Royal Rumble 5/10
Elimination Chamber 6.5/10
Wrestlemania 8/10
Extreme Rules 7/10
Payback 9/10
Money in the Bank 8/10
Battleground 7/10
Summerslam 7.5/10
Night of Champions 6/10
Hell in a Cell 6.5/10
Survivor Series 6.5/10
TLC 5/10

The best for me was Wrestlemania 30. Nothing else even comes close. Trips and Bryan had an excellent opener, Cesaro winning the Andre Battle Royal could be the historic start to a great new tradition if they these each year to get everyone onto the card, Cena VS Bray had one of the best video packages I have ever seen as well as a good match, The Streak ending was one of the most shocking moments in WWE history regardless of how I feel about Lesnar being the one to do it, AJ got her Wrestlemania moment, and of course last but not least the epic conclusion where Daniel Bryan won the main event and celebrated with the fans. Nothing that the rest of the year produced could top this.

The worst was Hell In A Cell. This wasn't just the worst PPV event of 2014, but one of the worst in WWE history as well. Seriously, I have literally NOTHING positive to say about this show. I nearly purchased tickets to it and am so glad I changed my mind. I legitimately feel bad for anyone who was in attendance. No World Heavyweight Championship match, a #1 contendership match that virtually nobody wanted to see, lots of forgettable filler that didn't matter, and a main event with a weird ending. I hated everything about this show.

WrestleMania 30 was the best PPV to me. Every match had a big match feel except the Divas match. The Battle Royal and HHH vs. Bryan was a surprise.

Battleground was the worst. Felt like a filler PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back