• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Best/Favorite Gimmick match

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
What do you consider to be the best gimmick match? Or, what is your favorite? While you can mention specific matches, the idea is to name the general theme concept, and not specific matches.

For example, I have to say my favorite gimmick match is probably the Royal Rumble. Ignoring for a moment that the match has built a PPV by itself, I think there is the most interesting things that you can do in a gimmick match in the Rumble. I think back to the 1990 Rumble, and personally consider it one of the better matches of the last 20 years, gimmicked or no.

What match type does it for you? A ladder? Cage? HIAC? First Blood? Buried Alive? Scaffold? What match makes you more interested than any other?

I'm not a huge fan of gimmick matches. While I enjoy a lot of them, I can't say I prefer them over a simple singles match. But I think I'm the minority there. I'd probably be the same. I love the Rumble. Not many are consistently good throughout. But they're never dull. And unlike other gimmicks you don't get 5 a year, not in WWE anyway.

I'm also a huge fan of Survivor Series matches. Not so much straight 8 or 10 man tags. But the elimination aspect is what intrestes me.

I like the Elimination Chamber. There are so many different spots that can happen, and the matches have always been good (except for the December to Dismember one). They're almost always entertaining and I just love the destruction that can happen inside it. Plus it's different to any other kind of gimmick match.

Timbo took it from me. I dig the elimination chamber. Used to be Survivor Series matches, with the elimnaiton aspect, but you have that here, with the added aspect of a tangible cage, weapons, and plexiglass bubbles that people get mashed through. fuck yea sucka.

You have the build of the random entrances, brutality of a cage, people helping/hurting each other in a multi man enviornment, you have everything. It borrows a lot of aspects from other gimmicks, and uses them in a good, practical way.

As for best I'm going to say Ladder match. There isn't really another gimmick that produces as many moments for highlight reels. There's also more you can do with it, and each bump and fall can have more effect if it's done with a bigger wrestler each time.

I could take them or leave them. But people go crazy for Money In The Bank matches. The they should just have John Morrison in the ring for five minutes teaching people how to do impressive bumps whilst holding a ladder. Because that's all they ammount top.

I would go one further and say any match involving elimination is my favorite. The Royal Rumble is great for its eliminations. Someone is coming back, then suddenly they get eliminated in a match. I also enjoy the elimination chamber for this same reason. Survivor Seris has been a long time favorite of mine due to their elimination style matches. Even matches where its a 4 corner match with eliminations is fun. Something that happened in the Attitude Era were the 4 corner tag team elimination matches, where you could tag your enemies into the match.

I've always been a fan of the Survivor Series matches because it brings so many elements into a match. It has the aspect of tagging successfully, while at the same time, it can bring tension into teams, throwing rivals together against common enemies, or having the benefit of a mini-faction war leading up to the big event and the spin off feuds which happen as a result of actions, be it letting a partner get eliminated, a cheap shot or an old-fashioned beating.

The elimination is what really makes it though. The dynamic shifts and the fact that one elimination is what swings it makes me remember the days when I was naive enough to believe Big Show could beat 3 guys by himself. Sigh, I miss those days.

I'm in agreement with Slyfox; gimmicks don't get much better than The Royal Rumble. It's really stood the test of time - still every year people are waiting for it, anticipating who will be invlved, who will win and what new feuds will come out of it. The Royal Rumble is like the basis for the rest of that year. And after a few shocks these last couple of years I cannot wait for this years.

The best would be the Rumble. You can't ask for more drama, the simple act of eliminating an adversary makes you closer and closer to the Grand stage of them all. Speaking of which, The Rumble almost always leads us to a lot of mania matches/feuds, so let's say that all the excitement starts there, that's a big extra point.

My favorite: mmhhmm, I want to say Street Fight, but I havent seen a good street fight since Triple H vs Mick Foley at the Rumble now THAT was a Street fight; So I'll have to go with the Elimination Chamber.

I like the Hell In The Cell the best. this years one was great and so many have been. The first one was great and heck even the chris jericho vs triple h wasn't that bad. Anyways this is so good because it is like a steel cage match ( which i also love) but you can go outside and use weapons and everything. i just love!!

I want to say Hell In A Cell but the recent ones havent been as good. Don't get me wrong, Taker vs Edge was great but I don't know why they never leave the damn cage anymore. It adds so much to the match. That being said I would have to chose the Elimination Chamber. It has the aspects of Survivor series match but there is so much you can do in an elimination Chamber. From high(Jeff Swanton from the top of the pod) to low(th ground being level with the ring) the EC rocks.

The match itself is always enjoyable. I remember feeling the intensity while watching Triple H walk in at No Way Out. It's something else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back