• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Best...Cartoon

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
So we all grow up watching those funny cartoon shows. This thread is asking which cartoon is the best ever made? You can use whatever criteria you want to judge what is the best cartoon as long as you have sound reasoning. So without further ado post your favorite cartoon.

SpongeBob
Spongebob.jpg

This show revolves around the very energetic and exciting sea Sponge SpongeBob SquarePants. The series revolves around his adventures with characters like Patrick Star, Sandy Squirrel, Eugene Crab, and Squidward. The general character interaction in the series is quite interesting and funy and always can make you laugh. Not only is it one of the most random cartoon shows ever made it also is one of the most watched cartoons in history. It is a staple of the Nick Network and has become an international hit.

The general two part episode episodes are always very fun and keeps the audience always entertained. Also it allows for unusual things to appear in water almost as if there were no water there at all. This is an unusual aspect to the show which makes the show overall a whole lot more interesting.

Also it combines kid comedy with some hidden messages behind its jokes. This show has always intrigued me and is honestly probaly the best catoon ever made. Anyone who can make a bunch of sea critters bcome that interesting deserves huge recognition so that is why I say Spongebob is the best cartoon ever made.

The Simpsons:

I currently like South Park better, but The Simpsons has been classic entertainment for years upon years. They may have lost it somewhat recently, but you cannot deny the greatness they have produced. From Bart wreaking havoc, to Lisa's environmental quirkiness to Marge and her adventure's to Homer Simpson just being Homer Simpson, as well as supporting characters like Skinner, Apu, The Wiggums, Otto, and others, the show has just produced funny moments and entertaining shows throughout the years, and to me you it's hard to beat. South park is getting close, but The Simpson's was the first for me, I show I can still watch, and just all around greatness. It wins this contest.

Yeah, I agree with The Sign Guy, Simpson ftw. It's on in the break room at work all the time which thinking about it now I don't understand because literally every day I see at least part of an episode and I never break at the same time. Weird. Anyways, I could watch a show just about Homer and laugh my ass off. The other characters are just bonus.

Coming in second I'd go with Family Guy which is just a poor mans Simpsons with frequent flashbacks. The first four seasons were gold though.

My favorite cartoon? Damn, Macios. You ask a tough question. I don't think I have an absolute favorite cartoon but I have been getting into the DCAU (DC Animated Universe), specifically cartoons that involve Batman. Namely Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Batman Beyond. I'm not sure why I never particularly cared for the story of Batman when I was younger. Perhaps I couldn't appreciate his story when I was a child. From going from a rich boy who loses his parents due to their tragic murder, to becoming a vigilante, to becoming one of the world's most iconic and legendary superheroes. I think what I loved most about Batman was the fact that he could get the job done without superpowers, which of course made me view him as an all around badass. In addition to his character, the writing for the shows were all spot on. Though the DCAU shows were for children as they were shown on Cartoon Network and the like, they were shows that could easily appeal to a older and more mature audience.

Long story short, any Batman cartoon within the DCAU takes the cake for me.

In terms of a comedic cartoon, I have to go with The Simpsons. I've watched it since I was in my early teens and I still find it really funny. I also still just especially love the characters. Family Guy comes in second for me. While I do enjoy the raunchier humor the show provides, the general mean spiritedness of a lot of the characters are something of a turn off. For instance, Homer Simpson comes off like a lovable, albeit extremely stupid, goofball that means well while Peter Griffin comes off as a prick more often than not. A funny prick, but a prick all the same.

In terms of action based cartoons, I have to go with either the original Transformers or G.I. Joe. Back in the mid 80s, if you were an American boy and you didn't like those shows...well you basically got kicked in the balls on a daily basis in my kindergarden class. And yes, in case you're wondering, I did kick a few guys in the balls that said those shows sucked. I didn't know what that meant at the time but I knew I didn't like it.

If you're asking for an adult style cartoon, hands down it's South Park. The writing on that show has surpassed anything that I've ever seen in an animated sitcom. Sure Family Guy has the more rapid fire approach and they fit in a lot more jokes which is why I actually enjoy it quite a bit, but South Park has had some of the best satires I've ever seen in any form. I own every season on DVD with the exception of the 14th that was just released 2 days ago, but I'll be getting that soon as well.

As for a children's cartoon, I would go with Rugrats. Nothing I've ever seen since this show ended has been more enjoyable to me. It was one of the shows that I grew up watching and I still watch to this day whenever I can. I love old school Nickelodeon cartoons more than anything, but Rugrats is at the tip top of that list.

As a child I had many.

Scooby Doo- I remember watching this before elementary school in the mornings. I loved the predictability and that each episode had the same endinging of demasking the culprit.

GI Joe- I can't say enough about this show. Plus, the action figures were awesome. My favorite episode is when Shipwreck has amnesia and was living in a fake civilization created by Cobra.

Ducktales- The adventures of Scrooge McDuck & his nephews Hewey, Dewey, & Louie. This one might end up on next years Christmas List.

The Simpsons- For obvious reasons :)

As an adult...

Southpark- The greatest show on tv. They never cease to amaze me on a creative level. Plus, they are always pushing the envelope on social issues. This show always make me laugh and I love the characters, especially Randy Marsh. He is the greatest character on TV!

This is actually asking quite a difficult question for me because I adore animated comedy. Not anime because I am not a 13 year-old girl but animated comedy. The likes of Family Guy, South Park, American Dad and The Simpsons bring endless enjoyment to my life and it is going to be hard to choose between them. Still, that's what I came here for.

I think I am going to go for American Dad. Let's face it, South Park and Family Guy are going to get enough mentions between them and I feel bad that no one will mention this show. For me, it was always a the understudy of Family Guy but more and more I am beginning to see it take over the longer running show and come into it's own right. The great thing about American Dad is that it is not so polarizing. With Family Guy, you either love it or you hate it. I happen to love it but I can see that people don't like it. I also see that some people take issue with it because of the war of words that it seems to get involved in with They Parker and Matt Stone and people feel like they have to take sides. Nevertheless, American Dad doesn't have any of that. It is just a quality show with some brilliant writing. Roger and Stan may be my favourite animated characters in history, they are that good. If you have never seen it, then I think you would do well to at least give it a couple of tries. I don't think you will regret it.

As for children's cartoons, I am torn between two that I just cannot separate. The first of them is Tom And Jerry. For some reason, this show always manages to get me laughing. I used to watch this show as a kid and I still find it as enjoyable as it was back then. There is no substitute for this show and it is one of the finest shows ever made. Who would have though a mouse getting the better of a cat with excruciating results for the cat would have been so successful?

The second show is The Roadrunner Show. The same rules and feelings that surround Tom And Jerry are prevalent in this one too. I think Wile E Coyote is one of the funniest characters in TV history and it is simply because of the eccentric and wonderfully strange show that he lives in. You have to love this show, young or old.

It changes all the time as a major fan of animated shows, but I'll offer my current favourite here with The Venture Bros:

This is my animated comedy pick. It's smart, funny and very, very entertaining. If you're a comic book and film fan, your going to be able to understand the show a lot easier, which is more than likely why it hasn't picked up as much as a show like Family Guy or even King of the Hill. The jokes are smart and the characters are unique. Top it off with some great plots and you have a truly intelligent, witty show.

There are so many cartoons to choose from, but my favorite is probably South Park. I am one of the few who can say they have followed it ever since day 1 and is still watching. For any show to last 14 seasons is an amazing accomplishment and it gets my vote because it is the only cartoon that has reached the point where I'll watch a new episode no matter what. No other cartoon has gotten as much of my attention. Plus it's hilarious with its randomness and cast of memorable characters doing countless parodies. I've watched every single episode and have remained a fan, so why stop now?

Did SorgFamily just put Family Guy as #2? Wow, that is disappointing.. As for the best cartoon of all time, there is really one I have followed throughout it's numerous seasons. Only one that I watch on a consistent basis nowadays. Only one that has ever made me really laugh at least once every episode. That being South Park. I can see how people would pick the Simpsons as that is really the staple for cartoon shows, but it never really entertained me the way South Park did. The thing I really love about South Park is how they push the envelop with everything they do. They will raise hell against anybody without any fear for the consequences.

Another reason I picked this show over the Simpsons is the movie. The movie for South Park entertained me way more than the Simpsons Movie. I still hold Bigger, Longer, and Uncut as one of my all time favorite movies for the sheer entertainment value. Everything in that movie is fucking hilarious. Everything about the show screams comedy, and there is no cartoon better than South Park.

Did SorgFamily just put Family Guy as #2? Wow, that is disappointing.

I'm so very sorry for the disappointment. If only I had your exact thoughts and opinions maybe I could aspire to be so much more in life.

On a more serious note, at the time I didn't give it much thought but now I think I'd put King of the Hill at #2 and move Family Guy to #3.

As for South Park, I enjoy the humor and it's done in a very smart way with all the satire but for some reason I just never got into it. Just not for me I guess.

I grew up on the Simpsons and SpongeBob. I still laugh hysterically about both of these. I know a lot of fans think they have taken a downturn in quality, but I think the latter ones (especially Spongebob since 2005) have been the best ones to me.

But I think the best cartoon that gets no love is Courage the Cowardly Dog. I think the excellent writing and musical composition of the show makes up for more than the often shitty animation. There's no mistaking the characters or the story of the cartoon.

I am going to go with the other Matt Groening cartoon, Futurama. The Simpsons is funny, but Futurama is better, in my opinion.

First, it is one of the only animated sitcoms to actually have continuity. The characters remember what happened in previous episodes, it isn't just a set of isolated 30 minute unrelated stories.

The wit is intelligent. What other cartoon has the balls to make jokes about astrophysics, Schroedinger's box, and other "geek" material? The Simpsons is written to cater to the simple masses. It is funny, but it isn't as intellectual as Futurama. Futurama is deep, the Simpsons is shallow.

Overall, I'd have to say the Simpsons, but I haven't really enjoyed the new episodes for some time. In fact, I rarely watch the new episodes any more. They're not awful or anything, but they just don't make me laugh as much as the earlier episodes. But, I would still consider The Simpsons as the best cartoon, as up until around season 15 or so, it was absolutely brilliant. I love watching repeats of old episodes, even though I know most of them off by heart. The main benefit of The Simpsons is it's huge cast of hilarious characters from Homer and Bart, to Flanders and Mr Burns, and even rarely seen yet funny characters like Disco Stu. I'll also just mention that King of the Hill is excellent and isn't too far behind The Simpsons in my estimation.

For me it has to be South Park. I have never found an episode that I have never laughed at, which is fairly impressive because that is 211 episodes. For shows like Family Guy and American Dad I find some episodes are hit and miss (Espescally if the focus on Meg). The Simpsons are also suffer from the "Meg" character in Lisa and Marge which is why they are my second favorite cartoon. This also brought back memories of Robot Chicken which was hilarious for the 2 weeks the jokes didn't get lame.

For shows I grew up on it's Jimmy Neutron, the 3 main characters were all entertaining in their own ways and the supporting family members were totally screwed up and made the show just that more hilarious. Rugruts are a close second only because I remember very little when the show went off the air where I live, I feel I might have enjoyed it more. Spongebob was funny most of the time but a few episodes really did suck in my childish mind.

I'm with Nate and Dagger. When it comes to Adult Cartoons I say South Park, and kid friendly I would say Rugrats, but overall my #1 has to be South Park.
This Show blows every other show out of the water, I have seen all of them and I love all of them. There arent many shows I can say that for(aside from Walker Texas Ranger and Reba ofcourse) but that's not why I love this show. This show amazes me because they are not afraid to make fun of the things other shows shy away from, and because they can take any current event and twist it into the funniest thing you can imagine. For those reasons South Park will always be #1 in my heart :worship:

The Simpsons:

I currently like South Park better, but The Simpsons has been classic entertainment for years upon years. They may have lost it somewhat recently, but you cannot deny the greatness they have produced. From Bart wreaking havoc, to Lisa's environmental quirkiness to Marge and her adventure's to Homer Simpson just being Homer Simpson, as well as supporting characters like Skinner, Apu, The Wiggums, Otto, and others, the show has just produced funny moments and entertaining shows throughout the years, and to me you it's hard to beat. South park is getting close, but The Simpson's was the first for me, I show I can still watch, and just all around greatness. It wins this contest.

Totaly agree simpsons is classic its been funny for a number of years its been on for like 20 years has so many episodes its insane, and the best part is its still going strong salute to the simpsons if it wasn't for them it would be no family guy or south park

Totaly agree simpsons is classic its been funny for a number of years its been on for like 20 years has so many episodes its insane, and the best part is its still going strong salute to the simpsons if it wasn't for them it would be no family guy or south park

Agreed, South Park is good but it seme slow-budget and uses cheap humor osmetimes, ALso Simpsons paved the way for South Park during a where comedy is different.

The Simpsons, Scooby-Doo, Uncanny X-Men, all for diff reasons.... obviously lol

Simpsons = longest running animated show for a reason, I agree lately they have been getting a lil stale, even some of the cast thinks so, but as has been said on South Park "Simpsons did it" ... and they have, but to be keeping it as fresh as they have for the amount of time they have is amazing

Scooby-Doo = EASY, fond memories of watching my favorite weekend cartoon with grandpa, also I love monsters.... even fake ones (yes I know tech they're ALL fake but.... shut up)

X-Men = probably the most adult cartoon out of the three, I really did and do think that show was way ahead of its time as a mature cartoon that wasn't overly violent or vulgar so ok for kids and had real messages in it for any adult (also thought that of batman: TAS but X-men has more characters so they win =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back