The Best Betrayal In WWE History?

Which betrayal will go down in history as WWE's greatest?

• Festival of Friendship

• The Implosion of the Shield

• Chris Jericho Accuses The Idol

• The Mega Powers Explode

• The Rockers Split

• Something else (go for it if you feel like it!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for the rockers breakup because this was such and iconic moment even through at the time, we didn't know how much of an iconic moment this would have been. The fact that we still talk about it today made it one of the greatest betrayal in WWE. But i have to give an honorable mention to a betrayal that while it really didn't go anywhere because of backstage drama but i still remember from my childhood and that's Jake The snake Roberts turning on The ultimate warrior.

I know that in hindsight, this was a really stupid angle but i remember back when i was a kid, i was a huge jake the snake roberts and ultimate warrior fan and i thought who better to teach warrior how to beat that evil undertaker then jake the snake. Then when they finally did the third vignette and jake just left warrior to die and align himself with undertaker, i couldn't believe it and i hated jake for turning on warrior. Too bad that backstage drama pretty much killed that feud and warrior was let go soon after they aired those segment because it would have been such a good feud to watch.

Hogan turning his back on Savage, Sting and the WCW by joining the NWO at Bash at the Beach.

Still never seen a crowd that pissed off.

I voted for something else, that being the HHH turn on Shawn Michaels in 2002 when they teased the first return of D-X after the nWo was disbanded. While the Festival of Friendship was good, and the Rockers split were both memorable, I think the HHH turn of Michaels came out of left field as it was known that the two were the best of friends.

I gotta agree with Andre "turning" on Hogan to set up their match at Wrestlemania 3.
I'd agree with the impact of that heel turn, but it's hard to characterize it so much of a "betrayal" like the others brought up in the thread. It had a bit more of a slow burn to it, and it was being foreshadowed for a bit. It was quite amazing back in the day. Andre, of course, had worked as a heel in Japan, but few in North America had ever seen that until YouTube.

I'd agree with the impact of that heel turn, but it's hard to characterize it so much of a "betrayal" like the others brought up in the thread. It had a bit more of a slow burn to it, and it was being foreshadowed for a bit. It was quite amazing back in the day. Andre, of course, had worked as a heel in Japan, but few in North America had ever seen that until YouTube.

Curious, what was the foreshadowing of this turn? Andre walked out of the trophy presentation on Piper's Pit. What else contributed to this slow burn?

The Mega Powers Explode for me. There's plenty of betrayals that I liked. Hulk Hogan was usually in the best ones though. You could even say he betrayed his fans by turning on WCW and forming the NWO, I was going to pick that but ill go with The Mega Powers. Hulk Hogan teaming with The Macho Man was and will probably go down in history as the hottest star tag team in wrestling lore. The fans lost their shit when these two tagged up and beat down the heels. When Hogan would get the hot tag, the place would become unglued. Such contrast to wrestling today, nobody gets half that amount of pop in wrestling today. When they split up, it was fun and it made Hogan vs Macho Man, Mega Powers Explode...a must see event. A close second to me ( Not including NWO) would be The Rockers breaking up, at the time it was a pretty big deal and everyone was talking about it. The execution of the super kick followed by Marty going head first through the glass was a thing of beauty.

Of whatever I've seen until now, Shield easily. I was in full kayfabe mode at that time and therefore no news and no Internet spoiling. So Triple H was talking about Plan B while I was thinking about back-to-back defeats for Evolution. And then SNAP! Dean Ambrose's facial expressions were memorable as if it was a real betrayal. I was too invested in this whole feud and God knows what Rollins had to hear outta me. Awesome. Emotional. Everything you want in a betrayal. A classic one!

This is hard because trying to come up with one that I didnt see coming is proving tough.
Orndorff, Savage, Andre all turning on Hogan was forseeable, it was a pattern that happened alot in mid 80s WWF. Michaels turning on Jannetty ditto. I guess the Martel turn on Santana at Wrestlemania 5 was done well, with no real build up or evidence, Martel snapped and explained after the event and went on to have a great gimmick and singles run

Curious, what was the foreshadowing of this turn? Andre walked out of the trophy presentation on Piper's Pit. What else contributed to this slow burn?
Didn't mean to leave this for a month! Yes, the walking out. That was part of it. Also, Jesse did a pretty amazing job on commentary at the time, with respect to planting some seeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back