The Bellator "soft reboot" - Adding in the wrestling sizzle

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
SO recenetly, Bellator has done a soft reboot were they have decided to take a direction of infusing a lot of pro wrestling style sizzle and presentation.

Every MMA purist I know hates this with a burning passion.

To me, thats a very anti-progressive republicanish way to see things. I also think Bellator's idea is fucking BRILLIANT. I can't believe I never thought of it, with the many, many times I have heard Jim Cornette and Jim Ross say that "MMA is the new pro wrestling..MMA does Pro Wrestling much better than pro wrestling does"

Now do I think they should devolve to the point of scripted storylines? Absolutely not. But more of a focus on presentation, promos and personality of their fighters? Fuck yes. I immeadiately noted during the last major Bellator show the much better presentation they had, and the audio being much better (I hate not being able to hear the fighters walk out tunes on UFC)

I really think if done right, they could really be on to something.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an MMA company looking to sign Shelton Benjamin. Yeah he's 39, but like Lesnar he has a wrestling background. I believe his record was pretty solid, with 36-6 in the Big Ten. I'm not an amateur wrestling elitist but on paper, going +30 is always a good thing.

I'm not hoping that this happens or anything, but I mean it's more logical than signing some couch potato from Chicago, who's never fought a day in his life.

Every MMA purist I know hates this with a burning passion.

Then they're a new breed fan who have no idea what they're talking about.

PRIDE was built around this system. And look at what propelled the UFC into the mainstream to begin with... THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER, which debuted after Monday Night Raw, where the fights were built around pro wrestling like drama.

I joke at another forum that Scott Coker is the best booker in MMA. He booked Strikeforce when they were on Showtime, and he just recently took over the book for Bellator's a few months back. I really like the direction he's taking the company towards, although I just wish he had better talent it to build it around.

But the ratings speak for themselves. Ortiz vs. Bonnar spanked the UFC that night, and that fight sucked, but people cared because of the pro wrestling like storyline.

As long as fights aren't worked, then it's a good thing. And look at the UFC, they're no better. Their whole promo campaign for Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier is their back-and-forth promo on ESPN and their press conference scuffle. Not to mention *cough* CM Punk *cough*

MMA "purist" are miserable losers who like to have no fun and want the sport to be like golf. Well guess what, that won't draw ratings or pay-per-view buys. Muhammad Ali bought the pro wrestling aspect into boxing in the sixties, it worked then, and it works now for all shoot fights. Anyone who bitches about it can piss off.

The concept of changing the presentation of MMA to display the personalities better is something I've always felt like was needed and honestly (and selfishly) I hope nobody gets it right for the next couple of years so I can possibly use this Marketing degree I'm working towards and weasel myself into a Creative Director/Executive Producer position for a MMA org. Definitely the missing ingredient in making MMA as big as wrestling was in the 80s and 90s. There's actually a REALLY simple solution and the timing couldn't be better as people are falling out of love with pro wrestling and realizing that the booms of the 80s and 90s were bubbles that burst and we won't see those heights for a while (if for nothing else the fact that there is nothing new to be done). MMA org leaders and purist fans are so focused on gaining the acceptance of outsiders who will probably never be converted anyways, in terms of making them feel like its a "sport" (which it is), that they don't realize that they could be printing money.

The concept of scripted story lines in MMA is ridiculous though, there are already cringeworthy enough moments when it comes to wrestlers "acting" so it's going to be 10x worse for dudes who get legitimately beaten in the brain for a living.

That Tito Ortiz segment Bellator tried to do with the dude in the mask was fucking terrible and it definitely made me stop taking them seriously lol. But the concept of trying to display more personality in MMA fighters is not a bad idea at all...

Then they're a new breed fan who have no idea what they're talking about.

PRIDE was built around this system. And look at what propelled the UFC into the mainstream to begin with... THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER, which debuted after Monday Night Raw, where the fights were built around pro wrestling like drama.

I joke at another forum that Scott Coker is the best booker in MMA. He booked Strikeforce when they were on Showtime, and he just recently took over the book for Bellator's a few months back. I really like the direction he's taking the company towards, although I just wish he had better talent it to build it around.

But the ratings speak for themselves. Ortiz vs. Bonnar spanked the UFC that night, and that fight sucked, but people cared because of the pro wrestling like storyline.

As long as fights aren't worked, then it's a good thing. And look at the UFC, they're no better. Their whole promo campaign for Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier is their back-and-forth promo on ESPN and their press conference scuffle. Not to mention *cough* CM Punk *cough*

MMA "purist" are miserable losers who like to have no fun and want the sport to be like golf. Well guess what, that won't draw ratings or pay-per-view buys. Muhammad Ali bought the pro wrestling aspect into boxing in the sixties, it worked then, and it works now for all shoot fights. Anyone who bitches about it can piss off.

Been trying to get into MMA and from the videos I've seen, PRIDE was amazing. Loved the spectacle of the entrances and the wrestling style interviews/promos. Why did it go under?

I'm a casual MMA fan at best so I won't sit here and act like I know what's best for business, but if you can bring some of the things that make the WWE successful like the characters, and the presentation with the things that makes UFC successful like the fighters and the talent then I would imagine you'd be very successful.

Been trying to get into MMA and from the videos I've seen, PRIDE was amazing. Loved the spectacle of the entrances and the wrestling style interviews/promos. Why did it go under?

Dana White did a Vince McMahon impersonation by signing a lot of major PRIDE talent so that nobody cared, bought the company out, and just dropped all the others that nobody cared about. PRIDE wasn't the only company to fall like this. Strikeforce fell too.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Multiple reasons. Pride was owned by a few shady individuals, the UFC became what it became and were able to steer away some of their top talent, and MMA's popularity just started to fade away in Japan (much like pro wrestling).

I'd love to see another Pride like org someday, but that's going to be really hard to duplicate. That was MMA at its finest...

If some MMA promotion can get this down with the proper balance, its going to render wrestling nearly irrelevant for a large portion of its audience. It will become everything that people used to watch wrestling for.

Just the right amount of sizzle and characterization with people resolving their issues with actual fighting. I feel like this is a fucking gold mine waiting to happen, and people are just far too haughty to capitalize on it.

If some MMA promotion can get this down with the proper balance, its going to render wrestling nearly irrelevant for a large portion of its audience. It will become everything that people used to watch wrestling for.

Just the right amount of sizzle and characterization with people resolving their issues with actual fighting. I feel like this is a fucking gold mine waiting to happen, and people are just far too haughty to capitalize on it.

Yep.

I have my own ideas on how to execute it but I feel like it hasn't happened because

A) Companies simply don't know how to do it.

B) Most MMA guys genuinely don't have much ill will for each other (you always see them shaking hands and commending their opponents in their victory speeches). You might get rare situations like Jon Jones/Daniel Cormier but overall I think there is a high level of respect among each other for just stepping into the ring.

C) It's still early in the sport's history, so die hard fans and even some executives don't want to sacrifice any 'legitimacy' just yet.

I definitely see where Bellator is coming from but I think they're going about it the wrong way trying to script fight buildups . . . or if they are going to do it at least make it more realistic to where we can't tell lol. This shit is just plain corny lol:

[YOUTUBE]fkhHcCNe97M[/YOUTUBE]

MMA evolved out of Pro Wresting. MMA history is usually always told from the Gracie side of the story with Mitsuyo Maeda coming from Japan to Brazil to teach them his version of Judo, which was further adapted through the 20's and 30's by the family into what you see today as Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Even then there's a side to that story connected to pro wrestling as Maeda was doing worked and shoot challenge matches around the world, working with pro wrestlers, even living out of a YMCA in Alabama or something doing wrestling shows to make money. Maeda basically taught the Gracie's his own version of Judo that he changed and adapted with what he picked up around the pro wrestling circuits of the early 1900's. The Gracie's moved to California in the 80's and got really popular, eventually hooking up with some big time producers and putting together the first UFC in November of 1993, the rest is history.

What a lot of MMA fans don't know is that there is a whole other side of the story, the pro wrestling side. It all goes back to Inoki, who brought in Karl Gotch, master catch wrestling shooter that taught Inoki's New Japan guys. Four important pro wrestlers broke off from Inoki and New Japan and created the foundation of MMA. Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Nobuhiko Takada, Akira Maeda, and the original Tiger Mask were influential in the foundation of the UWF. Tiger Mask broke off in the 80's and founded Shooto, the first true MMA promotion and longest lasting promotion around today. The UWF died in the end of 1990 and Takada, Fujiwara, and Maeda started three vanity projects around the same time in 1991. Takada would go on to start UWFI, Maeda would start Fighting Network Rings, and Fujiwara would take Gotch with him to start Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi. Fujiwara and Gotch trained Minoru Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, and Ken Shamrock, who broke off and founded Pancrase in 1993 a month before UFC 1. Over in UWFI they had Billy Robinson, another shooter that trained catch wrestling alongside Karl Gotch at the Snake Pit in Wigan. Robinson trained Takada's UWFI wrestlers, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Kanehara, Yoji Anjoh, and others. UWFI went out of business in 96 but Takada would get most of the same people together to start Pride.

So after UFC 1 a bidding war breaks out in Japan over Rickson Gracie, the baddest of the Gracie family. Shooto, Rings, Pancrase, and UWFI all offered him HUGE money for a match, but he turned all of them down except for Sayama. Sayama's Shooto hosted a big tournament in 1994 and Rickson came in and won it pretty easily. Later that year as a grandstanding stunt, UWFI sent one of their wrestlers, Yoji Anjoh, to Rickson's dojo in California to challenge him to a fight. Rickson surprised Anjoh by actually accepting the fight and then destroyed him in a bloody shoot fight. The stunt backfired big time and exposed UWFI to the Japanese fans, who were jumping ship over to Shooto, Rings, and Pancrase because they were perceived as more realistic. Rings went full on MMA shoot by 95. In order for Takada and his UWFI backers to rebound from the death of UWFI they put together the first Pride show and finally managed to sign Rickson Gracie. Rickson came in and destroyed Takada in Pride 1 in late 1997 and the rest is history.

After Takada lost to Rickson at Pride 1 there was a headline in Japanese press reading, "Pro Wrestlers are weak", showing Takada losing. A few weeks later one of Takada's dojo mates, former UWFI wrestler trained by Billy Robinson, Kazushi Sakuraba goes into the UFC Japan tournament and taps out a Gracie Ju Jitsu Black Belt that outweighed him by something like 50 pounds. Sakuraba told the press after the fight that in fact, "Pro Wrestling is quite strong". Sakuraba would go to Pride in 1998 and become a HUGE star, by 2000 he was selling out the Tokyo Dome and he would go on to defeat 4 members of the Gracie family including Royce(who was unbeaten in the UFC up to that point, widely considered the best). Sakuraba was trained by Billy Robinson but the deciding factor was a Shooto fighter named Enson Inoue who had a Black Belt in Ju Jitsu and came up through the Shooto system that Sayama designed. Enson found his way over to the Takada Dojo and the rest is history.

MMA fans should learn the history, it adds a whole new layer of context to some of the classic Pride shows because you seen the Japanese Super Bowl of MMA, with fighters coming in from Shooto, Rings, Pancrase, and not to mention all of the Pro Wrestlers that came in through the years, and the amateurs, Olympians like Yoshida and Rulon Gardner. Pride was absolutely the best. As a huge Pride mark I found Bellator's last show to be a breath of fresh air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back