The 2009 Academy Awards Thread

jmt225

Global Moderator
The nominations for this year's Academy Awards were announced today. The main categories are below.

Best Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor
Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Best Actress
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Melissa Leo, Frozen River
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

Best Director
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry, The Reader
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant, Milk

And here are the rest of them:

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Frozen
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
Wall-E

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Eric Roth–The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley–Doubt
Peter Morgan–Frost/Nixon
David Hare–The Reader
Simon Beaufoy–Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
Wall-E

Cinematography
Tom Stern Changeling
Claudio Miranda The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Wally Pfister The Dark Knight
Roger Deakins, Chris Menges The Reader
Anthony Dod Mantle Slumdog Millionaire

Editing
Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Lee Smith The Dark Knight
Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill Frost/Nixon
Elliot Graham Milk
Chris Dickens Slumdog Millionaire

Art Direction
James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis Changeling
Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando The Dark Knight
Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway The Duchess
Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt Revolutionary Road

Costume Design
Catherine Martin Australia
Jacqueline West The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Michael O’Connor The Duchess
Danny Glicker Milk
Albert Wolsky Revolutionary Road

Best documentary feature
“The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)” (Cinema Guild), A Pandinlao Films Production, Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath
“Encounters at the End of the World” (THINKFilm and Image Entertainment), A Creative Differences Production, Werner Herzog and Henry Kaiser
“The Garden” A Black Valley Films Production, Scott Hamilton Kennedy
“Man on Wire” (Magnolia Pictures), A Wall to Wall Production, James Marsh and Simon Chinn
“Trouble the Water” (Zeitgeist Films), An Elsewhere Films Production, Tia Lessin and Carl Deal

Best documentary short subject
“The Conscience of Nhem En” A Farallon Films Production, Steven Okazaki
“The Final Inch” A Vermilion Films Production, Irene Taylor Brodsky and Tom Grant
“Smile Pinki” A Principe Production, Megan Mylan
“The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306” A Rock Paper Scissors Production, Adam Pertofsky and Margaret Hyde

Best foreign language film of the year
“The Baader Meinhof Complex”, Germany
“The Class” (Sony Pictures Classics), France
“Departures” (Regent Releasing), Japan
“Revanche” (Janus Films), Austria
“Waltz with Bashir”, Israel

Achievement in makeup
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Greg Cannom
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan
“Hellboy II: The Golden Army” (Universal), Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.),Alexandre Desplat
“Defiance” (Paramount Vantage), James Newton Howard
“Milk” (Focus Features), Danny Elfman
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), A.R. Rahman
“WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
“Down to Earth” from “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, Lyric by Peter Gabriel
“Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar
“O Saya” from “Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman andMaya Arulpragasam

Best animated short film
“La Maison en Petits Cubes” A Robot Communications Production, Kunio Kato
“Lavatory - Lovestory” A Melnitsa Animation Studio and CTB Film Company Production, Konstantin Bronzit
“Oktapodi” (Talantis Films) A Gobelins, L’école de l’image Production, Emud Mokhberi and Thierry Marchand
“Presto” (Walt Disney) A Pixar Animation Studios Production, Doug Sweetland
“This Way Up”, A Nexus Production, Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes Best live action short film
“Auf der Strecke (On the Line)” (Hamburg Shortfilmagency), An Academy of Media Arts Cologne Production, Reto Caffi
“Manon on the Asphalt” (La Luna Productions), A La Luna Production, Elizabeth Marre and Olivier Pont
“New Boy” (Network Ireland Television), A Zanzibar Films Production, Steph Green and Tamara Anghie
“The Pig” An M & M Production, Tivi Magnusson and Dorte Høgh
“Spielzeugland (Toyland)” A Mephisto Film Production, Jochen Alexander Freydank

Achievement in sound editing
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Richard King
“Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Tom Sayers
“WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood
“Wanted” (Universal),Wylie Stateman

Achievement in sound mixing
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Mark Weingarten
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick
“Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke and Resul Pookutty
“WALL-E” (Walt Disney),Tom Myers, Michael Semanick and Ben Burtt
“Wanted” (Universal), Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt

Achievement in visual effects
“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
“The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.), Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
“Iron Man” (Paramount and Marvel Entertainment), John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

Okay.. what the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck is with this shit? I don't even know where to start.

Okay, let's start with Christopher Nolan not getting a Director Nod. I mean, seriously.. what kind of bullshit is that? I can understand someone making the argument that The Dark Knight doesn't deserve a Best Picture Nomination (though I personally think it does), but to say Nolan doesn't deserve a nomination for best direction is beyond ******ed. Honestly, as great as Milk is... how hard is it to direct a film like that with the cast it has? Not nearly as hard as it is to direct a film like The Dark Knight and Nolan deserves some fucking recognition for the job he did with that movie. I don’t think anyone could’ve done as good of job as he did with that film.

Now, let's go to Best Song. How the fuck is Bruce Springsteen's song “The Wrestler” not nominated? How is that fucking possible? Especially when there are only THREE nominations to begin with, and two of them go to one fucking movie (Slumdog Millionaire). That makes no fucking sense and destroys any credibility the Oscar voters have. The fucking MTV Movies Awards aren't this fucking stupid.

Speaking of The Wrestler, why the fuck doesn't that get any nods for ANYTHING other then acting? It was a fantastic fucking movie. In my opinion, it should’ve also gotten a Best Picture nod and a Best Original Screenplay nod. I don't see how anyone could make an argument against the film receiving a Best Original Screenplay nomination. It was a fantastically written fucking movie.

Next, Best Supporting Actor.... honestly, is there anyone else here who has seen Milk? If so, will you please explain to me how the fuck Josh Brolin's performance in that is better then Emile Hirsch's is in the same fucking movie? It's not. This is the second fucking year Hirsch has gotten snubbed (he should've gotten nominated for Into the Wild last year). However, I am extremely happy Downey Jr. got a much deserved nomination. That’s one right thing the voters did this year.

Best Actress.. why the fuck is Kate Winslet nominated for The Reader and not Revolutionary Road? These voters every year get worse. The Golden Globes did a great job this year with their winners and nominations for once, while the Academy Awards get worse and worse every year. And Kate Winslet not being nominated for both of her FANTASTIC performances in their respective category is complete bullshit. She deserved a Best Supporting Actress nod for The Reader and a Best Actress nod for Revolutionary Road. There's no way anyone could ever think any different if you've seen both of those films.

Lastly, Best Actor... has someone seen The Visitor? If so, please explain to me how Richard fucking Jenkins was able to get a nod over Leo's performance in Revolutionary Road. How the fuck is that possible? I've seen Jenkins in shitload of shitty fucking movies, and I just want to know if he really is that good in that? I don't see how he is. Also, it bothers me Frank Langella got a nomination. Frost/Nixon is also a movie I have yet to see, but how many fucking actors have already played Nixon in film and did it well? A fucking lot, that's how many and I don't understand how a role already done probably a dozen times now can get such praise and an Oscar nomination of all things.

To end this, I'm going to go down the list of the main categories and highlight what I feel should win. Please keep in mind that these picks are not predictions; just who I would personally pick to win. Most likely, with maybe the exception of Mickey Rourke winning for Best Actor, I'm pretty sure none of my picks will end up winning anyway.

Best Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor
Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Best Actress
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Melissa Leo, Frozen River
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

Best Director
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry, The Reader
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant, Milk

If Winslet were nominated for Best Supporting Actress for The Reader and Best Actress for Revolutionary Road like she should be, then she would win both of those categories on my list. Also, Nolan would win Best Director if nominated.

With regards to Heath Ledger, the Academy couldn't win either way. If he wins people will say he's only getting it because he's dead. If he doesn't win people will be pissed. Either way, he's a better pick than Downey Jr. Great performance, but it's a shit film. If they're now giving acting nods to a good performance in a poor film then I can make plenty of suggestions for films gone by, same with regards to comedy performances.

I don't understand why he wasn't nominated for iron man instead. It all equals the same in the end.

I fail to see what Marisa Tomei did in The Wrestler that was Oscar worthy. Good performance, but so was that of Evan Rachel Wood. Rourke carried the film, the females were surpluss, anybody could have done that role. And people do often, tart with a heart is done all the time.

Frost/Nixon is average. Like most Ron Howard films.

With regards to Heath Ledger, the Academy couldn't win either way. If he wins people will say he's only getting it because he's dead. If he doesn't win people will be pissed. Either way, he's a better pick than Downey Jr. Great performance, but it's a shit film. If they're now giving acting nods to a good performance in a poor film then I can make plenty of suggestions for films gone by, same with regards to comedy performances.

Eh, Cher won for Moonstruck and that movie sucked ass. And she beat out Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction for that if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I just really liked Downey's performance. He's awesome in pretty much everything he does, but it's usually the same slick, fast talking character he ends up playing. However, this was completely different from his usual roles and he nailed it. I really don't think any other actor could've done as well he did with that part.

And for the record, I thought Tropic Thunder wasn't that bad. I quite enjoyed it, actually.

I fail to see what Marisa Tomei did in The Wrestler that was Oscar worthy. Good performance, but so was that of Evan Rachel Wood. Rourke carried the film, the females were surpluss, anybody could have done that role. And people do often, tart with a heart is done all the time.

I just really gave it to her out of default to be honest. The two girls in Doubt didn't really impress me. They overacted in that movie, in my opinion. And the black chick in Benjamin Button didn't do anything for me either. And I never saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

The truth is, Kate Winslet should be winning this award for her performance in The Reader.

Frost/Nixon is average. Like most Ron Howard films.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Eh, Cher won for Moonstruck and that movie sucked ass. And she beat out Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction for that if I remember correctly.

And Marisa Tomei for My Couisn Vinny. It happens, but not often. I think Moonstruck was well reviewed at the time, but it's one of those films that people have forgotten about, nor care about.

And for the record, I thought Tropic Thunder wasn't that bad. I quite enjoyed it, actually.

Americans.:disappointed:

Best foreign language film of the year
“The Baader Meinhof Complex”, Germany
“The Class” (Sony Pictures Classics), France
“Departures” (Regent Releasing), Japan
“Revanche” (Janus Films), Austria
“Waltz with Bashir”, Israel

I'll comment on the foreign films, since I am such a fan. Firstly, I am quite annoyed that Gomorra, Italy's submission, didn't get nominated. This was, in my opinion, the best film of the year. It won Best Picture at the European Film Awards (I only mention this because they have a penchant for giving awards to those films that truly deserve them) and the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes. Oh well, I digress.

I haven't had the chance to see “The Baader Meinhof Complex” or “Departures," but I will go out on a limb here and say they have no chance of winning (I say this because I have heard nothing about these films, and any film that picks up the Oscar for Best Foreign Film is always widely discussed). I did see "Revanche," and I am pleasantly surprised to see it here, as it was quite a good film. However, like the first two films I listed, it has not gotten enough mention for it to be a serious contender.

This leaves us with “The Class” (winner of the Palm d'Or at Cannes this year) and “Waltz with Bashir.” Frankly, I don't get the hype surrounding "The Class." In my opinion, it is nothing more than a gritty looking hybrid of such films as "Dangerous Minds" and "Dead Poets Society." On the other hand, "Waltz With Bashir" was quite good. Furthermore, unlike "The Class," it is getting loads of hype right now. In the end, I see AMPAS giving it to "Waltz With Bashir," partly because it is a good film and partly because they snubbed "Persepolis" last year by only giving it a Best Animated Feature nomination ("Waltz With Bashir" is also animated).

I honestly don't mind the nominations this year. Although I think TDK should have made it in over "The Reader" for best picture, I'm not all up in arms(same with nowlan as director).

Best Picture:
Well after the Producers Guild Awards this weekend rewarded "Slumdog Millionaire" with best picture, I'm pretty sure it's a lock for BP. It won the golden globe and numerous critics awards and I will be stunned if it loses(but if history shows winning precurser awards mean nothing like Brokeback Mountain losing to Crash or The Aviator losing to Million Dollar Baby). Milk & Benjamin Button are the spoilers I think. Frost/Nixion just doesn't have the buzz, while The Reader received mixed reviews so I doubt it's winning. I would vote for Benjamin Button personally but I haven't seen Milk yet.

Best Actress: It's a pretty good line up. I was surprised that Sally Hawkins wasn't nominated but other than that it was a predicatble line up. I think it's between Kate Winslet for "The Reader"(which the Acadmey got right since her role in the film isn't exactly a supporting role, and because she received more critics buzz from the role than her role in RR) and Meryl Streep for "Doubt". Anne Hatheway is the spoiler but unless she wins the SAG tonight, I think she doesn't have a huge chance of winning. Angelina is my personal favorite in the category but her film received mediocre views and she doesn't have enough buzz. Melissa Leo's nomination is her win and I don't see her winning.

Best Actor:
I think it's pretty much down to Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn with Rourke having the slight edge. This was his comeback role and it is very critically acclaimed, add the golden globe win and other critics awards I think Rourke could win. Penn has been praised for his role so he is a canidate. I think Brad Pitt has a very slight chance of winning, while Frank & Richard are pretty much out of the running.

Best Supporting Actor.
I am 98% sure Heath has this in the bag. He gave a stellar performance worthy of the award on merit alone, add in the fact he did die and it almost seals it. Hoffman is out because it was a leading role and he doesn't have the buzz. Shanonn culd be a spoiler but I highly doubt that. Brolin's award is his nomination, and RDJ's role isn't the typical "oscar performance" and I just don't think he has a chance. It's pretty much Heath Ledger's award to lose.

Best Supporting Actress. Well if Kate had have been nominated for "The Reader"(which she shouldn't have since it was clearly a leading role)this would have been her award(although she would have lost the Best Actress race for Revolutionary Road). But since Kate got the lead nomination I think Penelope could have herself her first Oscar. I don't think they will reward Tomei with a second oscar, when she has been outshadowed by her co-star all through the campagining season. Viola Davis could be a spoiler, and has a really good chance of winning so I don't count her out at all. Amy Adams would be my choice but she hasn't received the same amount of buzz as her co-stars(Davis and Streep). I don't think Henson has a chance.

Edit: A few weeks til Oscar time and I'm starting to believe Viola Davis and Penelope are running neck and neck. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis pulls off the victory. Penelope is in a comedy and comedies don't tend to fare well, plus she has lost alot of buzz while Davis's support has grown. I think it's going to be close between these two, with Tomei a very distant third, and Adams/Henson have 0 chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back