Talking about Jesus

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
There is pretty much unquestionably strong evidence that Jesus was a genuine historical figure, and there's probably as much known about him as about any other figure of his time, so it's clear he was important. But what do you think about the person himself? Preacher, carpenter, prophet, son of God? Who was he? What is Jesus to you?

Personally, I'm in the unusual position of having been to church a lot, but not having much faith, so I'm aware of that aspect, but as I said, having no faith, I don't really see Jesus as the son of God. What I do see, is quite an inspirational figure. Going ape shit in the temple, which there appears to be evidence for, is something immensely inspirational in terms of standing up for what you believe in.

As for his word, it's a real shame that people associate following the word of Jesus with backwards blind following of some of the more questionable aspects of the old Testament. Jesus' message - loving thy neighbour, sharing and standing up for what you believe in should be positive virtues for everyone. I think it's one of the great shames of the modern age that this ideology has been buried in a mirth of hatred and a fundamentalist reading of the bible that absolutely nobody made for 1500 years. Anyway, I digress. For me Jesus is an inspirational man, but exactly that, a man. What is Jesus to you?

Jesus to me is everything. He made the lame walk and the dumb talk and he opened blinded eyes to see. While of course nothing can be proven since we cannot go back in time to see who he was or what he did it all comes down to faith. As far as jesus' message in loving thy neighbor that you speak of, we have to remember that we make the world what it is, not god or jesus. I don't want this to turn into an argument whether he exists or not and that religion is bull or anything like that which i know isn't your intent. But back to the question, he's just really my reason to stay alive, he is the reason I am alive today. I didn't believe in religion or any of that till about a year ago. I was considering suicide and my friend she took me to her youth group and of course I was hesitant and thought I would just end up leaving, but I got there and she said just give it a try and talk to Jesus and let him hear your problems. So I did pray and it felt like there was a life inside of me that I could feel again. Jesus is the only person I have in my life that is ALWAYS there and I can open my heart to when I feel like my friends or family wouldnt understand. Even though I am christian by traditional standards, I do not like labeling myself and my only rule is that I love god and he loves me. Plus I dont agree with what a lot of christian groups morales are but thats for another thread another time. Like I said we dont have proof about jesus other then what we have been told, but do not know. But I would rather go my whole life believing in something that I cannot see, but always am able to talk to about anything and feel like he is carrying me through my troubled times and then die to realize i was wrong rather then just live my life really without purpose and a missing void then die and realize there is a heaven and hell you know?

At the very most, he was a prophet. Whether or not you follow the teachings of prophets falls on your beliefs, but to my knowledge, Jesus never claimed to the Son of God. The idea that Jesus Christ is the Son was written by man.

As for what he did for society in general, you can't really say much about it. He came, started Christianity, which didn't really blow up into what it is today until well after his death, and the rest was pretty much history.

Other than the Gospels themselves, I haven't heard much about Christ actually existing.
Regardless it doesn't matter to me if he was fictional or historical. Jesus Christ is easily a great rolemodel. As a militant atheist I try to live my life according to his word, exluding the supernatural mumbo jumbo. He's the part of the good book that I do respect, and it should be encouraged to cherry pick morals out of his life.

I think it would do the world a great good if the Christians would be Christ-like. Throw out the rest of the book, and keep the Gospels. ^_^

Other than the Gospels themselves, I haven't heard much about Christ actually existing.

At least two non-Christian first century CE historians mentioned Jesus Christ - the pro-Roman Jew, Josephus and the pagan Roman, Tacitus. I would dig out the quotations by my copies are not close at hand right now.

Jesus was a man just like any other. He was one of several people in Judaea who attached themselves to the Jewish belief that the Messiah. It is also entirely possible that, like the other failed 'Messiahs,' Jesus was a radical preacher who brought together a small cadre of men (disciples) to perhaps force some kind of socio-religious revolution in Judaea, overthrowing the Sanhedrin and then removing the Romans. The main difference between Him and the others is perhaps that He was caught, tried and executed before He could actually go down the violent route that the others had.

Of course, following the teachings attributed to Him, rightly or wrongly, are a good way to lead a moral existence and in many ways the circumstances of His death enabled these the spread of these teachings. The persecution of His followers by Jewish authorities and the laissez-faire attitude of the Romans to this diaspora of Messianic Jews/proto-Christians following the crucifixion of Jesus, much like the Jewish disapora that was to begin 40 years later, allowed Christian thought to take root in numerous places with communities being set up everywhere from India in the east to Rome itself in the west, and beyond.

However, it should not be forgotten that He was hardly the originator of these tenets of moral living. Babylonians, Buddhists and Greeks like Plato and Aristotle had explored this long before the first century CE.

Wise man, great speaker, but Jesus isn't a zombie to me, and I'm sorry if my opinion offends anyone. I do not believe he rose up to teach a few lessons before heading on his merry way and I do not believe this intelligent man (had to have been; he was a teacher) wanted people to worship him thousands of years later. I just can't picture a human being who was so moralistic like him to want to be praised in any way, because that's egotistical.

He was a great man in my books, hell the most influential human being on the planet. But divine? No. The second a giant HOLY BIBLE slowly descends downwards from heaven will be the day I believe it was written not by man, but by divine grace. But for now my thoughts of Jesus is he was a hell of a guy with his words of wisdom, but if he really wanted people to get down on their knees and worship him then I'd consider him a little douchey. Again no offense to any followers of Christ.

Jesus is just another guy in history with some radical ideas (at the time) who made a name for himself by causing some big ruckuses and then being executed having done nothing to truly deserve it.

He's not really any different from guys like Plato and Aristotle, or more contemporary figures like Karl Marx or Martin Luther King.

Those are the sorts of people that i compare Jesus Christ to, and that's about as far as i'm willing to go. I respect those individuals as the pioneering, intelligent historical figures that they are, but i don't worship any of them, or subscribe entirely to their theories/beliefs.

And as with all of those guys, i'd want them to step up and take a look around at the modern day world, and ask them 'what do you think of it all now? It's gotten pretty fucked up since you died, huh?'

jesus.. is kind of like chris jericho, they are both the savior :p
if you think about it his name is almost christ as well... see how it all fits together?
but back on topic, to me jesus is just a man like any of us, but i think he has had a bigger impact on the world then anyone else past or present

At the very most, he was a prophet. Whether or not you follow the teachings of prophets falls on your beliefs, but to my knowledge, Jesus never claimed to the Son of God. The idea that Jesus Christ is the Son was written by man.

As for what he did for society in general, you can't really say much about it. He came, started Christianity, which didn't really blow up into what it is today until well after his death, and the rest was pretty much history.

Havent read the Bible much have you? Jesus constantly talked about doing the will of "His Father In Heaven." Who do you think He was referring to? He absolutely claimed to be the Son of God. And if Christianity didnt blow up until well after his death, then why did they crucify Him? It was because he was the leading protagonist against the Roman empire, whose only God was Ceaser. The reason he was crucified, according to the pharisees, was BECAUSE he claimed to be the Son of God.

For me, Jesus is either an all or nothing thing. Either you believe he performed the miracles he did, such as turning the water into wine, restoring sight to the blind, raising Lazarus from the dead, and rising from the dead, or Jesus never existed. He was a mythological figure made up by historians to write the most read book ever, The Bible.

Me personally, I believe Jesus did exist, was, and is the Son of God. I think the church so bastardized the notion of him through the Crusades, or the Catholic Church's killing of the men of science(The Illuminati) in the 17th century that people have such a perverse idea of who Jesus actually was. Christians of today could do a better job of representing who Jesus is by acting more Christ-alike, and I dont mean just by fulfilling their weekly church obligation. Jesus was a man when he was on earth, which he claimed. But he also claimed he had powers given to him from, you got it, "His Father in Heaven". Again, not real sure who else He could have been referring to.

Jesus' main message to His disciples was that they had to forsake EVERYTHING to follow Him.If he was only a man, why would they? You can make all the cult comparisons you want, but these men lived to tell about their experiences through the gospels. The followers of the cult leaders wound up dead or in jail. If he was only an inspirational man, no offense, he wouldnt have been able to perform the miracles and works he was written to have done. So either the four men who wrote the gospels and told the stories of those miracles had amazingly vivid imaginations, or Jesus was who he said he was. I tend to think the latter. Better safe, then sorry, I guess.

Shrug. There's historical evidence for a historical figure called Jesus Christ, operating in first-century AD Judea, who's the leader of some kind messianic cult. Much like a whole bunch of other slightly nutty millenarian rabbis of the time, I imagine, except that this one obviously was considerably more charismatic than the norm, and had left behind a bunch of devoted and enthusiastic followers, some of whom, anything from 50 to 100 years after Christ's death, wrote the history of his life and the beginning of the spread of the Christian cult. Some of which is probably accurate, particularly as it relates to intra-Church politics, some of which is clearly ridiculous (walking on water), and some of which is clearly incoherent and faked (the story of Christ's birth is beyond ridiculous; it is clearly invented so that Jesus was born in Bethlehem, as required by various Old Testament prophecies). And that's about it.

It is worth noting, incidentally, that the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, and the blight of the dark ages that followed, were unquestionably due to the twin triumphs of Christianity and barbarism. Pray to god we are not witnessing such a similar process now.

And if Christianity didnt blow up until well after his death, then why did they crucify Him? It was because he was the leading protagonist against the Roman empire, whose only God was Ceaser.

This is not true. The Romans had many, many gods and goddesses, of which the current emperor was not one. They frowned upon worshipping a man as a god while he still lived. Such proclivities got Caligula assassinated. Even the great Augustus found opposition to his premature deification. There was a Cult to the Emperor's Genius but not to him being a god while he still lived.

The Romans crucified Jesus because the Jewish Sanhedrin threatened civil disorder if they did not. The Romans were more likely to dislike Jesus' supposed claim to be King of the Jews, which could have been seen as seditious but Pontius Pilate famously could find nothing wrong with what Jesus had done or said, washing his hands of the situation, symbolically absolving himself of guilt for ordering the death of an innocent man.

The reason he was crucified, according to the pharisees, was BECAUSE he claimed to be the Son of God.

Even this is not 100% correct. The Jewish ruling classes were scared of Jesus' teachings and how much the lower classes seemed to listen to Him. He was a threat to their wealth and their dominant position at the top of the Jewish hierarchy. The accusation of Him claiming to be the 'Son of God' was a convenient way of turning the populace against Him, therefore forcing Pilate to act to prevent a civil revolt.

For me, Jesus is either an all or nothing thing. Either you believe he performed the miracles he did, such as turning the water into wine, restoring sight to the blind, raising Lazarus from the dead, and rising from the dead, or Jesus never existed. He was a mythological figure made up by historians to write the most read book ever, The Bible.

And yet I believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed and so did other contemporary, non-Christian writers - Flavius Josephus, a Jewish scholar, wrote

Antiquitates Judaicae XVIII.3.3 (Whiston said:
Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works - a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews , and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

While a Roman pagan scholar called Publius Cornelius Tacitus wrote

Annales XV.44 (Grant said:
]But neither human resources, nor imperial munificence, nor appeasement of the gods, eliminated sinister suspicions that the fire [the Great Fire of Rome] had been instigated. To suppress this rumour, Nero fabricated scapegoats - and punished with every refinement the notoriously depraved Christians (as they were popularly known). Their originator, Christ, had been executed in Tiberius' reign by the governor of Judaea, Pontius Pilate. But in spite of this temporary setback the deadly superstition hd broken out afresh, not only in Judaea (where the mischief had started) but even in Rome.

Both of these men seemed to believe that Jesus existed but neither believed that Jesus was the "Son of God." Although it must be said that the passage from Josephus is widely-believed to have been either added later or at least largely embellished by Christian translators as it seems to make out that Josephus was a believer in Jesus' divine powers, which he most certainly was not.

"His Father in Heaven". Again, not real sure who else He could have been referring to.

Have a quick read of the Lord's Prayer. It starts "Our Father who art in Heaven." I am pretty certain I know that He is not my father but the meaning as the "Father of all Humanity" is implied. Why could it not be applied to a carpenter from Nazareth?

Jesus' main message to His disciples was that they had to forsake EVERYTHING to follow Him.If he was only a man, why would they? You can make all the cult comparisons you want, but these men lived to tell about their experiences through the gospels. The followers of the cult leaders wound up dead or in jail. If he was only an inspirational man, no offense, he wouldnt have been able to perform the miracles and works he was written to have done. So either the four men who wrote the gospels and told the stories of those miracles had amazingly vivid imaginations, or Jesus was who he said he was. I tend to think the latter. Better safe, then sorry, I guess.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were certainly not written by eye-witnesses. And they were definitely not written by the disciples... just look at their names - there might have been a Matthew and a John in Jesus' circle of companions but there was no Mark or Luke.

The Gospels were compiled perhaps up to a century after the crucifixion of Jesus so any eye-witness accounts could easily have been embellished or misinterpreted in the intervening decades. And if the Gospels are all 'true' then how do you explain the discrepancies and contradictions even in their retelling of Jesus' final week or who the disciples actually were?

What about those Gospels that have been set aside? The 'Q' Gospel or the Gospel of Thomas?

Барбоса;2499270 said:
This is not true. The Romans had many, many gods and goddesses, of which the current emperor was not one. They frowned upon worshipping a man as a god while he still lived. Such proclivities got Caligula assassinated. Even the great Augustus found opposition to his premature deification. There was a Cult to the Emperor's Genius but not to him being a god while he still lived.

You make a valid point here. But what you have to remember, history wise, is that the Jews believed that their "coming King" would be the "Christ" the "Son of God". Again, this is just a matter of opinion, but when they referred to Jesus as their King(which they did for a time) their were referring to Him as their God." So for the Jews, the ones who wanted him crucified, when they said they had no King but Caesar, to them, they were saying, "Hes not our God." Which, if you believe all four gospels, this is exactly what they were claiming Him to be just a week earlier, at His triumphant entry.

When I say Christianity indeed blew up before His death, I simply refer to Matthew 10:6-7, where he sent out the ten disciples, saying " Go preach to the lost sheep of Isreal. Preach the message, The Kingdom of God is near". When the disciples asked him who gave him such authority, he asked them who they believed he was. Peters response was " You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." He responded, as He did later to Pilate "I am who you say i am." It wasn't the Jews who frowned upon human beings being Gods, it was the Romans/. The Jews just happened to believe there was only one God, who the believed Jesus was at the Triumphant Entry(which we call Palm Sunday, See Mark 11), and caved to the pressure of punishment by the Romans a week later when they denied Him. (Mark 15)

You make a valid point here. But what you have to remember, history wise, is that the Jews believed that their "coming King" would be the "Christ" the "Son of God". Again, this is just a matter of opinion, but when they referred to Jesus as their King(which they did for a time) their were referring to Him as their God." So for the Jews, the ones who wanted him crucified, when they said they had no King but Caesar, to them, they were saying, "Hes not our God." Which, if you believe all four gospels, this is exactly what they were claiming Him to be just a week earlier, at His triumphant entry.

When I say Christianity indeed blew up before His death, I simply refer to Matthew 10:6-7, where he sent out the ten disciples, saying " Go preach to the lost sheep of Isreal. Preach the message, The Kingdom of God is near". When the disciples asked him who gave him such authority, he asked them who they believed he was. Peters response was " You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." He responded, as He did later to Pilate "I am who you say i am." It wasn't the Jews who frowned upon human beings being Gods, it was the Romans/. The Jews just happened to believe there was only one God, who the believed Jesus was at the Triumphant Entry(which we call Palm Sunday, See Mark 11), and caved to the pressure of punishment by the Romans a week later when they denied Him. (Mark 15)

The Romans crucified Jesus because the Jewish Sanhedrin threatened civil disorder if they did not. The Romans were more likely to dislike Jesus' supposed claim to be King of the Jews, which could have been seen as seditious but Pontius Pilate famously could find nothing wrong with what Jesus had done or said, washing his hands of the situation, symbolically absolving himself of guilt for ordering the death of an innocent man.

True. But this is due to tremedous pressure from the majority of the Jews, who one week acknowledged Jesus as their King and Christ, and a week later, denounced him. The Sanhedrein found problem with Him because he spoke of destroying their temple and rebuilding it, which he meant symbolically, which they took as being figuratively. Pilates hand was forced because Jesus simply acknowledged he was the "king of the jews" and didnt answer any other questions. Your assessment of Pilate, according to the scripture, is 100% correct.

Even this is not 100% correct. The Jewish ruling classes were scared of Jesus' teachings and how much the lower classes seemed to listen to Him. He was a threat to their wealth and their dominant position at the top of the Jewish hierarchy. The accusation of Him claiming to be the 'Son of God' was a convenient way of turning the populace against Him, therefore forcing Pilate to act to prevent a civil revolt.

We agree to disagree. I guess. It wasn't their wealth they were threatened by, but rather, his disagreement with their own religious beliefs. In fact, Jesus acknoweldged that the lower class should follow their financial decrees, stating, "Pay unto Caesar that which is Ceasers".(Matthew 22:16) Rather, he challenged their religious hierarchy, the Sanhedrein, which lead to the Jewish rebellion and ultimately him being handed over to Pilate.

And yet I believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed and so did other contemporary, non-Christian writers -

Many people believe that Jesus, existed, and was a great man. Alot of people believe that he even performed miracles, but wasn't the Son of God. The Jews believe that Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, is still coming. They're still waiting. Im not speculatying as to what you believe, or donnot. All Im saying is, there are various beliefs when it comes to who Jesus is. What matters is what you believe.

Originally Posted by Antiquitates Judaicae XVIII.3.3 (Whiston, W. translation, 1987)
Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works - a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews , and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

While a Roman pagan scholar called Publius Cornelius Tacitus wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annales XV.44 (Grant, M. translation, Penguin Classics, 1957)[/I
]But neither human resources, nor imperial munificence, nor appeasement of the gods, eliminated sinister suspicions that the fire [the Great Fire of Rome] had been instigated. To suppress this rumour, Nero fabricated scapegoats - and punished with every refinement the notoriously depraved Christians (as they were popularly known). Their originator, Christ, had been executed in Tiberius' reign by the governor of Judaea, Pontius Pilate. But in spite of this temporary setback the deadly superstition hd broken out afresh, not only in Judaea (where the mischief had started) but even in Rome.

Both of these men seemed to believe that Jesus existed but neither believed that Jesus was the "Son of God." Although it must be said that the passage from Josephus is widely-believed to have been either added later or at least largely embellished by Christian translators as it seems to make out that Josephus was a believer in Jesus' divine powers, which he most certainly was not.

Although it must be said that the passage from Josephus is widely-believed to have been either added later or at least largely embellished by Christian translators as it s to make out that Josephus was a believer in Jesus' divine powers, which he most certainly was not.

But again, this comes down to what you believe Jesus is to you, which is the point of this thread. These men, at least at first, did not believe that Jesus was the "Son of God". It's worth noting that the pagan scholar Cornelius that you quoted was later converted by Peter, according to the Scriptures. In fact, he was the first non-Jew(Gentile)n that was converted to Christianity itself.(Acts 10) So, if you believe the Bible, he simply changed his mind based upon the witness of Peter. Both of these men seemed to believe that Jesus existed but neither believed that Jesus was the "Son of God."

However, Cornelius later changed his mind. He specifically asked for Peter, according to Scripture, and Peter divulged to Cornelius his experiences with Jesus. Again, according to the Scripture, the Cornelius you referred to converted and changed his beliefs. Peter was afraid to go to him and even dine with Cornelius because he was a pagan, and believed anything that Pagans ate was unclean. But he was spoken to by God, and went to Cornelius, dioned with him, and converted him to Christianity. The Cornelius passage you quoted was before his conversion, not after.

I also wonder what was meant by Josephus' saying of Jesus being a man doing "wonderful works". What works was he talking about? The written works of Jesus that one would would consider "wonderful" would be turning water into wine, raising the man of authorities daughter, healing the blind, and raising Lazarus, amongst others. works don't refer to his teachings, they refer to his actions. He may have believed him a man, but I question what works he could have even been talking about.

Have a quick read of the Lord's Prayer. It starts "Our Father who art in Heaven." I am pretty certain I know that He is not my father but the meaning as the "Father of all Humanity" is implied. Why could it not be applied to a carpenter from Nazareth?

This prayer had everything to do with forgiveness, and asking God's help to keep us from "sinning." Say Jesus was only a man. He devoted his entire life to doing what was right, encouraging others to do so, publicly making examples of how to do so, and sending out others to do so. He was the most single-minded man that ever existed. Could it apply to a carpenter in Nazareth? Sure, but its far fetched that a carpenter could somehow become so devoted to starting and spreading a cause, all of which are virtues that we would likely agree are still applicable and stand true to today? For me, unless it came from his Father in heaven, whom he had a direct feed to. Again, its all based upon what you believe.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were certainly not written by eye-witnesses. And they were definitely not written by the disciples... just look at their names - there might have been a Matthew and a John in Jesus' circle of companions but there was no Mark or Luke.

Well, actually, Matthew and John were 2 of the 12 disciples Jesus apparently sent out to spread the word. In fact, Jesus referred to John as the disciple "that he felt most beloved." Mark was John's cousin and later assisted Paul, according to the Bible, in spreading Christianity. Luke was another co-worker of Paul that assisted him in spreading Christianity. Id say they were all pretty familiar.

The Gospels were compiled perhaps up to a century after the crucifixion of Jesus so any eye-witness accounts could easily have been embellished or misinterpreted in the intervening decades. And if the Gospels are all 'true' then how do you explain the discrepancies and contradictions even in their retelling of Jesus' final week or who the disciples actually were?

Having read all four, I really havent seen any discrepencies or contradictions between the 4. What I would say is that they all included stories, some different, some same, but none of them contradicted the other. If there are, please show me.

What about those Gospels that have been set aside? The 'Q' Gospel or the Gospel of Thomas?

The "Q" gospel you refer to is noted as nothing more then the a combination of the stories told in Matthew and Luke. Why include something that repeats something verbatim? The Gospel of Thomas is thought to have been written far after the other four gospels, and there was speculation that it wasn't even written by Thomas himself.

The point of all of this is, we all have varying degrees of belief in Jesus, and how we view him. I feel the discussion of it, and our varying views,. is a positive thing. I may have learned something I didnt know before, and vice versa. But what the thread comes down to is what u personally believe about Jesus, and how you view him. this is just my personal view, right or wrong.

Do I believe that Jesus was the "Son of God?" Hmmm. I'm not sure. I believe that Jesus was God incarnate, if that counts.

Trying to empirically prove or finding historical accounts suggesting that Jesus was the "Son of God," unless I am mistaken, would be completely in vain. Unless God dropped something out of the sky that said:

God said:
Dear Everyone,

Jesus is definitely my son.

Love,
God

then there would never be a consensus agreement on his status. And even then, skeptics would consider the dropping from the sky to be a creation of humanity.

Again, this comes down to what you believe Jesus is to you, which is the point of this thread. These men, at least at first, did not believe that Jesus was the "Son of God". It's worth noting that the pagan scholar Cornelius that you quoted was later converted by Peter, according to the Scriptures. In fact, he was the first non-Jew(Gentile)n that was converted to Christianity itself.(Acts 10) So, if you believe the Bible, he simply changed his mind based upon the witness of Peter.

The Roman historian Tacitus that I quoted certainly never converted to Christianity, especially by Saint Peter. Tacitus was probably only about 10 when Peter was crucified and he was particularly harsh towards the Jews and the Christians in all his writings. His treatment of the persecution of the Christians by Nero is just cold.

The only reason that I brought up Josephus and Tacitus was because they provide non-Christian evidence that Jesus actually existed and therefore it is possible for someone to believe that He existed without believing that He was the "Son of God."

The only reason that I brought up Josephus and Tacitus was because they provide non-Christian evidence that Jesus actually existed and therefore it is possible for someone to believe that He existed without believing that He was the "Son of God."

Thats whats so wonderful about being able to have a personal belief. If you really read what I wrote closely, I said, "For me, Jesus is an all or nothing thing." Thats the way I believe. Josephus and Cornelius are free to believe Jesus existed and wasn't the Son of God. They may have witnessed events of Jesus' life, and obviously lived closer to Jesus' time then I obviously did. But it doesn't change the fact that I believe that if Jesus truly existed, he performed the miracles he did, and He was the Son of God.

For me, thats the end of story. If I had my history wrong, thank you for correcting me. But there was a pagan Cornelius that was converted by Peter, one that was similar to the man you described, portrayed quite vividly in Scripture.

Jesus is everything to some and a great myth to others. When I was younger we attended church every Sunday, and it was preached to me about his life and all he accomplished. Do I believe in him, yes to an extent.

Was a he real person, or the embodiment of others, I couldn't tell you for sure. If you read the Bible it talks about others, Matthew, Mark, Luke and the rest of his supposed followers, so I don't know for sure if the Bible has taken the work of others and combined it into one person, because the names have been lost in the mists of time. I've heard that there may be factual evidence that a man named Jesus existed, but did he do what was attributed to him, that can't be proven. True believers will tell you yes, others will say no. Some will argue that Moses parted the Red Sea, scientists will tell you that was a anomaly if it really happened.

The only way I guess we'll really find out is when we die and then the answers will be forthcoming. Is the Bible the true word of God, or the best fiction book ever written? None of us living today know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back