• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taker-Sting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killercam

Occasional Pre-Show
Let me preface this by saying Taker is my all-time favorite (although I'm not or ever have been against the streak being broken) but my question for this thread is which WrestleMania do you think would have been the best to do a Sting-Taker match?? For this thread there will be no technicalities so there are no boundaries for any year you choose. Personally I believe any year they could have pulled this off it would likely have been the main event but in my opinion this match alone could have made some of the really bad Manias memorable and given a proper main-event to the ones that didn't have one (IMO the Manias that could have used this match were 13 and 24 ((since Taker main-evented these two anyway in matches that weren't very good)), 16, 25 or 20). No doubt this match would main-event any Mania post WM 10 but had it happened it probably shouldn't have been booked in a super card Mania that had 3-4 main-event type matches on the card. So I'd like to hear when and why this match should have been booked for which Mania

you really dont think the Taker/Edge match was a good match!?!? what!? That match was a classic, and is easily one of Takers best WM matches ever. Anyways....

Like you said, it could be put on any WM card...

17 would have been good because that was during the WCW buyout.
18 would be good but his match with Flair turned out to be one of the better matches on the card, so I'd leave it as is.
20 was perfect simply for the return to deadman character and revenge on Kane angle.
21 against Orton was a perfect match up, Legend vs Legend Killer.
23 vs Batista and 24 vs Edge were classic Taker matches.
25 vs HBK, one of the greatest matches of all time.
26, 27, 28 should all be left as is simply for the story telling that went on, and the fact that his match vs HHH at WM27 saved the show(even though this is actually the closest it ever came to Sting vs Taker)

I guess if iI had to choose, it would be between WrestleMania 19 and WrestleMania 22....both of those matches were lacking in my opinion. Imagine how perfect WrestleMania 19 would have been if you had HBK/Y2J, HHH/Booker, Angle/Lesnar, Hogan/McMahon, Rock/Austin, and Sting/Taker... WrestleMania 19 was already near perfect, but with Sting/Taker it could have been the greatest of all time.
Same could be said for 22, especially if the original plans would have gone through....Imagine Sting vs Taker on top of Cena/HHH, Orton/Batista, HBK/Eddie, and Hogan/Austin. Man...if only.

Great idea for a thread by the way!

when i first read the title of this tread, a little piece of my heart died. then i actually read the OP's idea. i like it. a little twist on a much-discussed topic.

i like the idea of Taker/Sting at Mania. in fact, i still haven't given up hope that it'll happen. call me crazy. but at 21-0, i think Taker might have 4 matches left in him so that he can retire at Mania with a perfect 25-0 record. i think Sting could and should be one of those remaining 4 matches. off topic.

since Mania 17, there have been only 2 Taker Streak matches that i was not happy with: Mania 19 in a handicap match with Big Show/A-Train and Mania 22 in a Casket Match with Mark Henry. i'd swap either of those two for Taker/Sting in a heartbeat.

Mania 19 was already such a stacked card. to add Taker/Sting to it would possibly make it the best Mania of all time, but Taker/Sting would not be allowed to be the Main Event as suggested by the OP. too much competition for that spot this year. but it would fit, especially since Taker beat Flair at Mania 18. the story could be the respect Sting has for Flair and not only trying to end the Streak but avenge his friend's loss.

Mania 22 was another enjoyable Mania and way underrated in my opinion. Taker's match had the impressive moment of Taker hitting the Tombstone on Mark Henry, but was pretty underwhelming otherwise. Taker/Sting, and a few very simple and minor tweaks to the rest of the card, could have made this Mania amazing.

if i had to pick one, i'd choose Mania 19 as the stage for Taker/Sting in the 21-0 Streak. if i had to pick a future Mania, it might be for the final 25-0.

17 would have been too soon, storyline wise. None of the WCW had debuted yet. Although it would have been a good foreshadow of what was about to come. The focus of WM17 was vince vs Shane and Rock/Austin. I don't think they would have wanted Taker vs Sting overshadowing these. As the perfect time to do it? Well, both in peak condition. But Taker was a Biker, and people would want it Deadman gimmick vs Sting.

18 with Flair must be kept. A legend vs legend match. No one wants to get rid of that from WM history. 19 is the only option. WCW is still in people's minds. Goldberg is on his way at Backlash. This is the only place, considering the other WM matches with Taker.

But, we need to consider the two with HBK and HHH. HBK vs Taker. Yup, great. Rematch... yeah, okay, I can go with that. HHH at 27... hmmmm, everyone wanted it vs Sting. Sure, WCW is no longer the forefront of people's minds and the audience has changed. but this is a possibility. WM 28 vs HHH... again. No thanks. Should of done everything to get Sting.

So we're looking at 19 or 28. I think, in terms of it happening, the time is gone. WM 30? This, I believe, will be the last time it could happpen.

Ummm. How about wrestlemania 30?

Stephanie met with dixie carter the week before mania for a private meeting.
Although no one publicly has said what they discussed, it was noted that HHH went in for Sting again last year but Sting wanted to stay in TNA.

I think WWE realises Sting is the last name left they have never had in a WWE ring, and my two cents is that the 2 companies have discussed the possibility of accepting a deal of Sting doing the match against Taker at WM. the fans want it, Sting has been quoted in interviews saying he wants to face Taker and to do at least 1 Mania.... So I really could see this maybe happening.

Maybe it will be some gimmick where TNA gets a large share of royalties for the match etc.

But I think this is the ultimate match to never happen, Fans have been asking for this for years...I think it would headline WM30 even in front of an Austin vs Punk.

27 or 28. Both matches just felt superfluous, and I find them to be greatly overrated. If two old guys were just going to do chairshots and finishers and rest for a half hour between each, it should have been Sting and Undertaker. Triple H and Undertaker didn't even come close to matching or surpassing what they had done 10 years prior, and the whole thing smacked of Triple H being self-serving and trying to fool people into thinking that he's HBK's equal. Not saying the matches were terrible, mind you, just unnecessary and overrated.

Undertaker deserved fresh opponents-- Stinger would've been ideal. It still wouldn't have rescued 27 from being a hot mess or taken top billing away from Rock/Cena I, but it would have been a more fitting swansong for Sting than wrestling in obscurity while it would have spared us 3 straight rehash Streak matches.

I have vague but fond memories of a Sting vs. Mean Mark Callous match that took place just before he left for WWE, and that was one of the matches that made me look forward to Callous when he adopted the Undertaker gimmick.

I think that if these two did step forward in the ring, some of the years would be removed, and the two could still work a great match, though probably not as intense as it would have been ten years ago. Heck, the Crow intro juxtaposed with the classic Taker intro would be one of the great markout moments in wrestling history even without a match!

As to when it would have been ideal: at the end of the Ministry of Darkness period. Make that feud the final one for the Deadman gimmick, and use that feud as a pretext for Undertaker transitioning into in his American badass persona.

Probably a couple years ago would have been best. I was dying for it to happen too. Sting was the last hold-over from WCW to really never appear in WWE. I think it took 8 years or so after the buyout before people realized "Wow, he's legit never coming to WWE". And once that set in, it became the perfect time for it to happen. Unfortunately it didn't.

I say WrestleMania 27. Only because I heard that WWE was really close to signing Sting to have him face Undertaker around that time period.

I know Sting-Taker would've had a great match, but the storyline could've been great if done properly. Having a character that's just as dark and just as mysterious as The Undertaker would've been so interesting. Look at how well it worked with Kane-Taker at Mania 14. Take 1997 Sting and put him against 1999 Undertaker and you have yourself money.

As much as I love Sting, I wouldn't have traded that Hell in a Cell match for Taker-Sting. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't.

Despite how piss poor the thread is written, it's a good topic to discuss.

I'd say the best time to get a Sting vs. Taker showdown would be during the Invasion angle. I don't which Wrestlemania that would have been, but if there were a plausable way to bring Sting into the WWE, do the same shtick he did in WCW, only toward Undertaker?! It gives me goosebumps to think about. It would have also made the WCW Invasion much more watchable and would have given a credible WCW guy to come in and challenge one of the top guys in the company.

If they do it now, it would be fine, but not as good as it could have been in their prime. But the best time to do this would have been around 2001, when the WWE bought WCW.

Ummm. How about wrestlemania 30?

Stephanie met with dixie carter the week before mania for a private meeting.
Although no one publicly has said what they discussed, it was noted that HHH went in for Sting again last year but Sting wanted to stay in TNA.

I think WWE realises Sting is the last name left they have never had in a WWE ring, and my two cents is that the 2 companies have discussed the possibility of accepting a deal of Sting doing the match against Taker at WM. the fans want it, Sting has been quoted in interviews saying he wants to face Taker and to do at least 1 Mania.... So I really could see this maybe happening.

Maybe it will be some gimmick where TNA gets a large share of royalties for the match etc.

But I think this is the ultimate match to never happen, Fans have been asking for this for years...I think it would headline WM30 even in front of an Austin vs Punk.

What makes you think Dixie Carter in TNAS will release her most valuable player to worst wrestling excrement ? She learnt her lesson last time with Pric Flair when TNA and wwe worked out a deal for Flair to attend HOF only so wwe can get Flair back and placed the knife to TNA when they paid him heaps of money c mon fans don t want this match and STING is the true person I like cause of HIS SPORTSMANSHIPNOT PROFITSHIP while many of the other wrestlers signed a contract with the DEVIl mc moron got them no where ex DDP , Luger, Pillman, SID Vicious Mark Awesome and so on

WM 30: The Underfaker (beer belly flabbin, leather claddin , mascara wearin )(51) vs STING(54) in a geriatric wheelchair match! The looser gets admitted to a nursing home! i can see it now, wheelchair into a nursing home match, only way to win is by putting your oppenent in a wheelchair and pushing them through the doors of a nursing home
STING is a true SPORTSMANSHIP in my eyes unlike PROFITSHIP by other wrestlers who sign with wwe only to go downhill. Why should STING job to this awful pathetic slow paced out of shape beer belly wrestler underfaker for? It's time for him to lose his match was not as good and last year he can barely walk with HHH . The signs of aging and liquor are there for Mark Callaway to pass the torch and let STING win to defeat this boooooring useless streak cause GOLDBERG also had hisstreak ended nothing lasts and eventually gets fans bored and JEERING Underfaker . Its a yawn of a match
Dixie Carter has been outright saying Sting is on his farewell tour this year and will mostly like retire wwe will exaust him and have him around like Pric Flair doing nothing!

But various things continue to get in the way. For starters, Dixie Carter continues moving mountains for him, essentially giving him anything he wants while providing the easy going workload and travel schedule that longtime pro wrestlers long for. That combined with the ruthless backstage politics so prevalent in WWE -- something he's not familiar with and has stated many times in the past he doesn't trust wwe have kept him away.Again, the reasons for his not signing last year are quite simple. Dixie Carter went above and beyond to keep him with TNA and his one dream match that he so obviously desires -- against Undertaker at WrestleMania -- was never going to happen because Triple H wanted that spot.
And there's simply no way in hell "The Game" would step aside to let Sting come in and do his thing while he had nothing going on, even if it would have been worst for business
Here is the whole interview with Steve Borden why he cannot trust mcmoron and seeing all other wcw arestlers buried like DDP, GOLDBERG,Luger, SID Vicious Big POppa Pump, Billy Kidman etc
Sting did tell the Daily Star that he was approached about a match with Undertaker, and a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame, but chose not to take the offer for the reasons that he stated above.

It's probably for the best because Sting isn't at a point where he can work a good match, and Undertaker needs all kinds of help, so that dream match could have been a nightmare.

"I wouldn’t say [signing with WWE] was utter nonsense, that’s not true!” Sting said. “[Undertaker-Sting] is a dream match that fans would want to see. It was close. I’m glad things turned out the way they did."

“There are so many variables. Let’s just say that I turned it down for the same reasons I always have. Something in me never trusted what would happen up there, based entirely on the track record with other WCW guys and everything that went on after Vince bought WCW."
You can't argue with Steve's logic because WWE completely screwed up what could have been the biggest money angle in wrestling history.

When they acquired WCW in 2001, they were getting all of these new, talented guys to bring in. But instead of building those guys up, to make them seem like a threat to WWE (similar to the NWO-WCW angle), they were made to look like complete idiots. They signed Goldberg in 2003, and he was buried time after time after time.

So keep dreaming wwe marks like Jericho would say "it will neeeeevvver eeeeeever happen

Crow Sting was awesome, but the height of my Sting fandom was for sure the surfer dude days of 93-94-95. That was also my favorite version of Taker as well.

Surfer Sting vs purple gloves Taker at Mania IX or X or XI would be the best for me.

I am sure most of you wwe marks will have so much animosity and hatred towards STING cause he won't head to wwe disneymania! I notice many fans get mad Many will go as far and Bash STING! When you start bashing Sting for not coming to the wwe (out of his own genuine disinterest), YOU DO "SOUND" like wwe marks, because you give the IMPRESSION that you believe that being in the wwe is the ONLY thing that matters in the pro wrestling industry, and that you could only be a fan of Sting or give him the respect he ALREADY deserves if (and only if) he came to wwe.

Do you understand where Sting is REALLY coming from? He's from the old school. Call it old-fashioned or stubborn, these people usually are set in their ways (or initial thoughts). It isn't a bad thing all the time, because most of us were given the great advice when we were young to trust our "gut feeling" in certain situations. Sting is a legend, has had one of the best careers ever, and is honored by fans and the industry alike worldwide. Has it ever occured to you that he's not really looking for "more," that he' s content where he is? He has put a lot into TNA. He saw something there worth his time and effort, in a time where TNA was going in a better direction. As bad as TNA may be now, some are still willing to remain loyal there. Sting falls in this crowd, maybe not. But isn't it quite possible that he's already satisfied? Steve Borden(STING) doesn't feel up to putting in the extra work to change over and deal with the bright lights, heavy schedule, and high demand in wwe's unfamiliar atmosphere? You should chalk that up more to his age than anything else. He's like an old man who used to play all kind of sports, but now would rather rest in his EZ chair and watch them. Maybe he's found a comfortable niche that he'll stay in until retirement. He can imagine what it would be like to work with underfaker, but that certainly doesn't mean that that's enough to want to take the next flight to Greenwich and bang down Vince's door just to sign with the wwe. He's had more than enough main events, dream matches, great rivalries, and defning moments to be SATISFIED.
Sting won't come to the wwe (for whatever reason - the reason is not the point). But if he doesn't have anything to prove, or doesn't have the desire or energy to make the change and make it work, and is content enough to stay in great TNA, then does he really have to go to wwe? Should he really go to
No. I say leave him alone, he's fine. If he comes FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! But he won t job to the beer belly flabbin, leather claddin mascara weain he said it . If he doesn't, in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM does that hurt his LEGACY. Fans of all sports tend to get too emotionally wrapped up into every waking move of their favorite stars, so they get mad when they don't get their way, when it's the STAR's choice in the first place.

No matter how many legends have said their childhood dream was to go there, we have one of the biggest legends who NEVER had the dream of going there. It's proof that the wwe does not define the pro wrestling industry, that there are many great talents outside of wwe (as always), and that you can be successful and make a name for yourself without the wwe's help. Surely you can see that Vince's ego won't let him admit this. So you can support wwe for being the best in the business right now (as I do), but don't go knocking one of the best ever WHILE doing so, when in actuality he deserve's everyone's RESPECT. And I truly expect only people who aren't wwe marks (or casual fans) to truly understand this concept.

Vince has never really proven that his ego doesn't come into play with regards to new talent that have had stints in TNA or WCW for that matter. He constantly buries these talents or holds them down from achieving real success in the wwe, even at the behest of a good portion of wrestling fans. Vince has had incidents before with talent where he proved himself to be untrustworthy. Sting is not wet behind the ears; neither his experience in the wrestling industry nor his experience in handling business/people in general should be taken lightly. Not to mention that wwe is supposed to be in a youth movement, and Sting is in his 50's.
He really has nothing to prove by going to the wwe. TNA has always had a loyal fan base who oppose the general format of wwe and dislike the way they handle things. It was founded in that same vein as well, which means there are wrestlers and other figures in the industry who feel the same way. I mean where is DDP, GOLDBERG, Billy Kidman ,Scott Steiner(Big Poppa Dump), Lex Luger, Kevin Nash, Prick Flair,SID Vicious , Big Van Vader, Mike Awesome, Brian Pillman etc???? They were ex@WCW wrestlers who were misused and mistreated where did it get them ? NOWHERE

He really has nothing to prove by going to the wwe. TNA has always had a loyal fan base who oppose the general format of wwe and dislike the way they handle things. It was founded in that same vein as well, which means there are wrestlers and other figures in the industry who feel the same way. I mean where is DDP, GOLDBERG, Billy Kidman ,Scott Steiner(Big Poppa Dump), Lex Luger, Kevin Nash, Prick Flair,SID Vicious , Big Van Vader, Mike Awesome, Brian Pillman etc???? They were ex@WCW wrestlers who were misused and mistreated where did it get them ? NOWHERE

DDP was 45 when he joined WWE.
Nash was a star in WWE before he got to WCW.
Ric Flair got paid well into his late 50's by Vince McMahon just so he wouldn't go broke.
Sid was a two time WWE Champ and main evented wrestlemania.

Also...

Chris Benoit was a midcarder for all but the end of his WCW run. Main evented Wrestlemania.
Booker T won 12 titles in the WWE and is a hall of famer.
Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, etc. etc. etc. all WCW guys before finding their biggest success in the WWE

WrestleMania 30.

I know I am blatantly going against the OP and making this thread about another 'omg I wana c taker sting', but I do. I still do. I don't care if its a shit match or anything. this is one of those matches that I wouldn't mind seeing at a Mania if they were on crutches. I apologize for making it about Mania 30 but looking back and thinking that this match hasn't happened makes me sad. Somehow, some way, Mania 30, Taker's retirement and induction the HOF with Sting as his opponent would be a dream.

I would still love to see it.

I have been doing my weekly shows that I play on WWE '13 and posting them on "Community Creations". Well I did a Wrestlemania recently where the main event was The Undertaker versus Sting, and I am teasing a rematch between them at my next Wrestlemania as well (like Rock-Cena) had two in a row. But you can do those sort of things on a videogame.

In real life, I think the perfect 'Mania for this to happen, is that if each man is wrestling their last match. I would love for Sting and Undertaker to retire at the same time, and their last match is against each other at Wrestlemania. That would be awesome, as the biggest icons in wrestling leave the arena together.

It would be a great end to both careers, and provide a match talked about for years.

do you guys realistically see Sting-Taker at Mania 30? I mean aside from the fact that Sting is with TNA ... I really don't see Dixie Carter willing to part with Sting on the WWE's biggest show of the year

plus there's Sting's side to keep in mind (what if he has no interest in facing the Undertaker what so ever?)

I think people just need to let it go, Sting-Taker passed its expiration date and probably won't ever happen

unless TNA folds in the next 4-8 months and Sting is thrown a gigantic $20 Million offer by the WWE that he for some reason decides to take

Sting won't ever wrestle in a WWE ring, let alone vs The Undertaker

do you guys realistically see Sting-Taker at Mania 30? I mean aside from the fact that Sting is with TNA ... I really don't see Dixie Carter willing to part with Sting on the WWE's biggest show of the year

plus there's Sting's side to keep in mind (what if he has no interest in facing the Undertaker what so ever?)

I think people just need to let it go, Sting-Taker passed its expiration date and probably won't ever happen

unless TNA folds in the next 4-8 months and Sting is thrown a gigantic $20 Million offer by the WWE that he for some reason decides to take

Sting won't ever wrestle in a WWE ring, let alone vs The Undertaker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Vince should throw a massive amount of money at TNA (which they could always use) to release Sting for a one-off match against the Undertaker at WM30.

It can be like how Ric Flair and Christian made one-off appearances on the other's show.

Maybe they can have Sting appear only at WM (so for one night in a WWE ring). The anticipation of this match, coupled with the chance to see Sting in a WWE ring will lead to heaps of buys.

I think Vince should throw a massive amount of money at TNA (which they could always use) to release Sting for a one-off match against the Undertaker at WM30.

It can be like how Ric Flair and Christian made one-off appearances on the other's show.

Maybe they can have Sting appear only at WM (so for one night in a WWE ring). The anticipation of this match, coupled with the chance to see Sting in a WWE ring will lead to heaps of buys.

If Vince is going to throw that much money at TNA, he should request a short-term, Road to WrestleMania cross promotion. This would be played out in the form of a TNA invasion of WWE, led by Sting, who would claim it's his retribution for the fall of WCW at WWE's hands. That's my fantasy book for today. TNA gets time, attention, and a fair monetary compensation, and WWE gets to dip into TNA's roster for a few weeks, utilize a few of them (including Sting) at WrestleMania, and get Attitude Era/WCW defectors to come back to take a look at this angle.

^That would be pretty sweet. **let's not forget Rob Van Dam came over briefly on RAW when ECW invaded WWF and even wrestled a match vs Flash Funk if I'm not mistaken

of course I don't think Vince saw ECW as a big threat at the time, which is probably why he allowed it

now TNA on the other hand .. doing the whole cross promotion bit .. aside from WWE getting Sting for Mania, IMO that business venture seems to favor TNA, as they get a ton of publicity their way all for just giving the WWE Sting for one big match

**would McMahon think it's worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back