• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taker/Sting like Rock/Cena?

farlance

Pre-Show Stalwart
With Sting and Taker both rumored to be at Wrestlemania 31 with different opponents, I bet a lot of us are still excited about the fact that they will be in the same arena together. Throughout the show we will be hoping, wondering if they cross paths back stage, or if they end up in the ring together for any reason. This same feeling happened when Rock/Cena appeared at the show together for the first time, and it ended up with a WM match booked a year in advance. With the same dream match quality, and years of chatter about a match between the two, Do you think its time to book another WM match a year in advance? if so, how would you have the WM 31 confrontation go down? How would you continue the slow burn throughout the year? My thoughts include Sting challenging UT this year and being turned down. Then he goes into playing that psychologist role that he used in his feud with Abyss in TNA. He could force UT to face all his of demons with the fire that killed his parents, call out his duel personality with the deadman/biker persona. Throughout the year his talk would anger Kane, causing Kane to return to his demon self. Sting could have a long feud with Kane, using Kane as a catalyst to get under Takers skin. This psychological battle would culminate with Taker merging his persona's together just in time to retire and be inducted in the hall of fame. This would allow him to be himself and not worry about kayfabe at the HOF induction and future appearances for WWE.

I'd have to say no to a year long build, because there's a very good chance the match would not live up to the hype at all.

Rock/Cena at Wrestlemania 28 was a different story. John Cena was and still is in his physical prime, and although The Rock was gassed towards the end, he was able to hold his own for the majority of the match.

Sting is fifty-five, and Taker is pushing fifty. I haven't watched TNA on a regular basis in two years, but from what I remember, it was clear Sting lost a few steps in the ring.

Taker's health is still a big question mark after Wrestlemania XXX. I give the guy all the credit in the world, because he did his best, and he tried to gut it out, but it was clear Father Time was catching up with Taker. The CM Punk match at Wrestlemania 29 worked, because when you compare it to his previous matches with Triple H and Shawn, it was more tamed. But the wear and tear of a long career is clearly catching up with Taker at this point. Looking at the big picture, who knows if we'll get Wrestlemania XXX Taker the next time he steps in the ring? That's saying something.

I'm not against Sting/Taker, but I'm 100% against another year long build for a Wrestlemania match. When you consider Sting's age and Taker pushing fifty with all his injuries, there's just too much uncertainty for the match to justify all the hype and the enormity of Sting and Taker facing off after a year long build.

Booking a match between Taker and Sting a year in advance might not be the best idea. A lot of things can happen in a year. A LOT. We have literally no clue what bumps in the road there might be between now and Spring 2016. What if the match got promised but then one of them got injured or ran into any other type of situation that results in them not being able to compete? It's obviously not the injured wrestler(s) who is at fault, but fans would be upset. They took a huge risk with Rock VS Cena for this reason, but it worked because Rock and Cena are two of the best of all time when it comes to hyping up a match. They not only kept fans interested in their match for a whole year, they INCREASED interest in said match for a whole year. For Taker and Sting the risk is just too large to justify booking it a year in advance. Besides, Undertaker is probably going to retire after what happened last year anyway. If we're having the match they should do it this year and get it over with while it's still even remotely possible to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back