• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tag-team Main Events, the easy way of booking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsKiitz

chidori nagashi. 漢字
When I speak of this, I'm referring to the weekly Raw/SD mainevents. They happen quite a lot, and it just seems like lazy booking.

I remember on SD before Wrestlemania they did a couple Edge & Christian vs Del Rio and Brodus tag team mainevents. This past Raw they announced the Cena & Rey vs Punk and Truth. Probably the most random tag team match I've seen in so long, as neither team really have much chemistry together. Also, CM Punk isn't involved with any of the other 3, so the whole thing seems really thrown together.

I remember playing GM Mode on Smackdown vs Raw on the PS2, and whenever I had too many superstars and not enough different things to do with them, I would chuck them in a tag team match, just to put them to use. I never really related the game to the actual show, but when you think about it that actually makes sense. Not having enough creative things to do with everyone and throwing a tag-team match out there just to put superstars to use with little to no reason is just slack.

I really don't see much use for anybody having a tagteam mainevent with randoms shoved into one. There's no storyline, no motive for Cena or Rey to be taking on Punk. But then again, I'm not asking them to break it into singles matches and have Cena vs Truth or Punk vs Rey. What I'd want to see is something new, something fresh instead of the easy option of a tag team match. It's happened a lot in the past, The Cena-Rey-Truth-Punk and the Edge-Christian-DelRio-Clay ones are just the recent ones.

Does anyone else get annoyed every time a tagteam match is announced as the show's mainevent? Especially when the teams aren't even partner-material.

Thoughts :)

Couldn't agree more. It is extremely lazy but I guess it's the easiest way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Plus, it does always seem to get a good reaction. Certainly more of a live crowd booking decision than perhaps a TV decision.

One thing I will add however, is the dynamics of it can make it interesting, depending on how it's booked. But yeah, you're right, it's overused and a little lazy.

Would much prefere seeing something a bit more daring!

Selby

Does anyone else get annoyed every time a tagteam match is announced as the show's mainevent? Especially when the teams aren't even partner-material.

I don't get annoyed really, because they're really good matches. Edge & Christian reuniting again? Who wants to argue with that?

And as for this past Monday, if you haven't heard already, CM Punk has been called up to the main event spot, and he will soon be feuding for the title. Sure, it's a bit random, but this is the GM's way of saying, Miz is no longer in the main event, so we have a new main eventer.

So I guess you could think of this as, the GM wants CM Punk in the main event scene. And you said something about no chemistry? If you mean John Cena and Rey Mysterio teaming up and R-Truth and CM Punk teaming up, I agree, but if you mean their opponents, then I don't agree. Rey Mysterio and John Cena have history with CM Punk, and they have had many matches together. And as for R-Truth, he's just feuded with Rey Mysterio, just more of an elevation.

It's a little lazy but it's been happening for years. Tag team main events are usually logical by combing two feuds together but I'll admit that Punk was random unless he is going to feud with rey or Cena.

Tag team matches keep everything fresh and this way PPV matches remain just that. Otherwise the only way to get champs on tv would be to have them wrestle jobbers or have an irrelevant match where they bury someone else who is in need of momentum.

It's a good way to get a lot of people on the show who are feuding with each other, particularily if the time is short. These type of matches are nothing new and often produce quality matches and also allow those people to interact with each other when they would have normally not done so. Sometimes they do a better job of building people up than a normal one on one match.

For example let us take a match between Cena & Kingston vs Punk & McIntyre. If McIntyre goes one on one with Cena he would have been squashed in 3-4 minutes. But in a tag match he actually gets the chance to hang in for some time with the top dog of the company and make himself look good. He would not have gotten the chance to do so in a singles match.

How is it lazy? Let's take R-Truth and Rey Mysterio in this example. They just faced each other on PPV one-on-one. You could have them face each other yet again, but what would be the point? A tag match is a good way to combine two feuds without giving away the payoff of seeing the one-on-one match WWE wants you to pay for. Many times a tag match is the best way to get fans to want to see the one-on-one confrontation. For example, let's say two guys haven't really roughed each other up too much, they're both tagged in, the crowd gets hot, but then the heel bitches out and tags his partner. This is gonna make people want to see the two guys in question really get their hands on each other.

I get what you mean but in many ways it makes sense. You can have two people meet in the ring before a PPV but not actually have any real time together. For example the cowardly heel tagging out before the face can get his hands on him. So in that respect it's good for build up. However it does just seem to be the norm now on the TV shows so I'd like to see it mixed up every now and then.

All due respect, this is kind of a perfect example of how the IWC wants to have it both ways. Don't like tag-team main events and think they're "lazy booking"? Then you can't complain the next time your IWC flavor-of-the-week doesn't get any screen time, or Daniel Bryan's next match only goes 4 minutes. The top guys are going to get their time, and if they get it all at once, that opens up the limited amount of TV time each week for other guys.

ive got to say its both lazy and good - lazy if they just chuck 4 random guys together and ill explain - if we look back - yes the attitude era tag team matches would usually invovle the 4 guys who were either champion or contenders - so a story was being buiklt. rey vs r truth have no interaction with cena vs punk so why put them together ? on smackdown now they can have orton/christian vs henry and sheamus as these guys are all in the hunt. Cena only seems to have one challenger at a time.
but on a positive note we like tag team matches and long may they continue

This is a method that has been used for many many years to put feuding superstars together without actually putting them together. This is good business because it gives the superstars the opportunity to work with each other and build on chemistry in front of sizeable crowds without making the eventual pay off match feel old.

I think the problem with today's WWe and why it can come across as lazy is because tag teaming is good enough for the main event and yet the actual tag team belts are portrayed as somewhat of a joke (who can forget the Cena/ Miz couple minute reign). The issue then for some can be why should we take the Main Event tag match seriously but regard the ACTUAL tag title as humorous (Marella/ Kozlov), a side note in a bigger feud (Nexus & Corre) or a position to throw stagnant ex Main Eventers (I'm looking at you Big Show).

Easy more like Lazy booking.

Its a shame that there are tag titles in the WWE that are suppose to be defended on both shows, but more often we see a tag team main event consisting of two face superstars vs two heel superstars all involved in programs with one another.

The Tag Titles are never the focus of these tag team matches, so really what is the point in having them? If we were going to see Cena and Rey, or Truth and CM-Punk make a run for the gold as a team then pairing them up to face one another would make more sense. But when the only pay off is a tag match at the end of the broadcast then were not getting anything.

We all know these tag matches aren't for the live fans, because there is usually some sort of Dark Match Main Event that happens after the cameras go off. So again why isn't the time spend building up other feuds rather than giving ups slapped together matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back