• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday

CM Steel

A REAL American
Remember back in the fall of 2004 when the WWE debuted the first inter-active pay per-view Taboo Tuesday? Where WWE fans could vote on matches and other things on the PPV. It drew very well money and viewer wise. And then the E re-named it to Cyber Sunday when they ran the ECW brand on Tuesday nights. And years after Cyber Sunday on whole PPV concept just died as quick as the ECW brand did. But later the WWE brought back the concept to Monday Night RAW on special nights. Now in the age of social media in the world it's almost every Monday Night now.

But the PPV slot it's self drew big numbers and was the first PPV of it's kind. Now do you feel that the Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday PPV needs to be brought back since the WWE is still remodeling in the yearly PPV line-up department or should be left to bed for good?

I actually think they might bring it back. I always felt that the poll was rigged or there was an obvious choice everyone would make, but WWE is pushing social media HARD right now. This is a great time to bring the WWE PPV back so Michael Cole can talk for 3 hours on PPV about how to download the WWE APP. But seriously with them pushing the WWE APP, something they didn't have back when the PPV was running every year, its actually not a bad idea for WWE. The PPV would fit perfectly for Johnny Laurinaitis' "People Power!"

I would love for them to bring it back I was a huge fan of the PPV. I never voted though because of the obvious choice of guy or the rigging but every once in awhile there were a few surprises. I may be a bit bias though because One of the Cyber Sundays was in Cincy and there hasn't been a PPV here since then and maybe they'll bring it back here if they bring it back at all.

But that's what the problem is with the concept. Either it's going to be rigged due to storyline purposes, or it might as well be rigged because out of the 3 choices, only 1 of them is somebody you would pay to see.

If it was done in a clean fashion, I would have no problem with Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday returning as a pay per view. But it really has about the same reliability as the Raw Roulette wheel had.

But that's what the problem is with the concept. Either it's going to be rigged due to storyline purposes, or it might as well be rigged because out of the 3 choices, only 1 of them is somebody you would pay to see.

If it was done in a clean fashion, I would have no problem with Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday returning as a pay per view. But it really has about the same reliability as the Raw Roulette wheel had.

This is why the ppv is kind of pointless imo. What is the sense in having the voting if there is only one realistic challenger out of the three? I wouldn't say they were bad ppvs just a lot of useless filler when going through the motions of revealing the winner of the poll. With all of the social media that WWE takes part in these days it would actually make sense for the return of one of them, but I personally wouldn't want to see it. If I had to pick one to return it would be Taboo Tuesday just because I like the idea of a ppv being on a Tuesday from time to time.

There is absolutely no point in bringing this PPV brand back at the moment. The interactive portion of it serves no purpose these days when there are constant fan polls for Raw. It would seem like nothing less than another edition of Raw, but one that you had to pay to watch. Instead of constantly giving fans pointless unneeded shows such as Breaking Point in 2009, Fatal Fourway in 2010, Vengeance in 2011, No Way Out in 2012, Battleground this year, or bringing back Cyber Sunday, they should focus on the shows they already have containing history and/or an actual gimmick setting them apart from other shows. Each year ever since the gimmick brands started has featured at least one utterly pointless show, Cyber Sunday would fall into that category at this point as the interactive polls are far too common to devote a PPV to one anymore.

I have no strong desire to see this PPV concept return but from the WWE's standpoint it wouldn't be a terrible idea. If they let people text and tweet in they could make some money and generate interest on social media. They toyed with the "social media ambassador", so before the show have some big name celebrity (ideally, Bieber or someone from 1D) tweet one of his choices and maybe they can push up the buyrate and general interest in the show.

The problem I found with these PPV's were that they become a little dull and repetitive. It wasn't as if I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the outcome of each poll. When it comes to match stipulation it was interesting but not enough for me to care about the concept. I would say that they should keep this idea to a one-off Raw rather than an entire PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back