• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superstars: Past vs Present

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
I notice that nowadays we compare a lot of today's wrestlers with the ones of yesteryear, that got me thinking... If we match up superstars of today against the one from the past, who would come out on top? Obviously the one of the past if its based solely on popularity o technical skills, but what if you take in account everything they have done... Who would win, let me give you a visual aid to explain better

John Cena vs Hulk Hogan​

Mic Skills: Cena would probably win here, hes a little more versatile on the mic, and more creative, however Hogan can easily rile the crowd with some Hulkamania banter.

Gimmick: I cant say really, as faces their gimmicks are very similar, never give up, be good, good>evil. As heels, Hogan had controlled WCW, Cena had a great rap gimmick which also got him over and made him stand out.

Ring skills: Cena... No contest there, Cena has 5, Hogan had 2 and lots of punches. And Hogan is allergic to submissions

Impact: Hogan, without him wrestling wouldn't be were it is today, basically if Hulkamania would've never happened, Cena wouldn't be here. However Cena has been making a rather unique impact, drawing in kids and seemingly repelling adults as the era turns.

Hogan would probably win here because of how he impacted business, but in ring and mic wise, Cena would upstage Hogan.

Now, with that example in mind you can create your own match-ups and compare, or comment on the one already made, just remember to make own too and not just focus on this one. There are plenty more match-ups to come up with, like: Morrison vs HBK, Orton vs Steve Austin and others.

It's not even close really. Cena might be WWE's most popular superstar, but WWE hasn't had a boom period in years.

Mic Skill: Hogan's might not work were he to debut today, but they couldn't have worked better in the 80's. Cena delivers his lines perfectly, shame he's scripted some right shit.

Gimmick: Cena's gimmick got stale a long time ago. Obviously times have changed, but it took longer for Hogan to need a revamp.

Ring Skills: I've seen better Cena matches, but I've seen more classic Hogan matches.

Impact: Cena hasn't really had any.

OK, never mind the impact part it makes it too one sided, instead think about their gimmicks, ring and mic skills and in the present superstar's case their potential. And remember its not just about Hogan/Cena, come up with your own too, how about Edge/Triple H, or Jack Swagger/Kurt Angle.

Side Note: On Smackdown they finally billed Kofi from Africa, or was it a whoops...?

Angle/ Swagger is something I would like to see. You never know it could one day happen.
I think Angle would when in all aspects with gimmick and skills but it would be a very good match/feud.

Bourne/ RVD: This is another possibility and would be a great match. I think RVD would come out on top.
AJ Styles/ RVD: This would be a great match, one I have book looking forward to. I would think RVD would win but both are great athletes.

Triple H / Lex Luger: I don't know why I just see these guys in a good feud. I think HHH would win and is better in all aspects but both guys are former champs.

Undertaker/ Sting: This isn't really past present but it is something that would be great. Both have a gimmick that they could use mind games. Sting coming out of ceiling, Undertaker through the Ring. I couldn't pick the winner here. Both are legends and I'm a huge Sting fan but Taker's gimmick just never gets old.

Sorry for spamming my phone is acting up, if there are any mods around please delete this post, I would really apreciate it. Again sorry.

Its not for feuds but for comparison. To see if todays superstar can in some way match up tho the one from the past:

Jack Swagger vs Kurt Angle
Gimmick:They are both cocky athletic and have some great achevement they keep reminding us about(the gold medal/2x All American)
Ring skills:Angle uses some great mat techniques and lethal suplexes while Swagger uses his size and athleticism very effectively.
Mic:Jack has a speach impediment but can still go on the mic, Angle, to me is average amin event on the mic.
Potencial:Kurt is an all around wrestler but lacks height, a quality Swagger posseses.

Winner: In my eyes Jack Swagger.

Remember to make your own match-ups (not feud ideas) and compare who is or could be better.

Side Note: For the record I'm an All-Latinamerican.

I notice that nowadays we compare a lot of today's wrestlers with the ones of yesteryear, that got me thinking... If we match up superstars of today against the one from the past, who would come out on top? Obviously the one of the past if its based solely on popularity o technical skills, but what if you take in account everything they have done... Who would win, let me give you a visual aid to explain better

John Cena vs Hulk Hogan​

Mic Skills: Cena would probably win here, hes a little more versatile on the mic, and more creative, however Hogan can easily rile the crowd with some Hulkamania banter.

Gimmick: I cant say really, as faces their gimmicks are very similar, never give up, be good, good>evil. As heels, Hogan had controlled WCW, Cena had a great rap gimmick which also got him over and made him stand out.

Ring skills: Cena... No contest there, Cena has 5, Hogan had 2 and lots of punches. And Hogan is allergic to submissions

Impact: Hogan, without him wrestling wouldn't be were it is today, basically if Hulkamania would've never happened, Cena wouldn't be here. However Cena has been making a rather unique impact, drawing in kids and seemingly repelling adults as the era turns.

Hogan would probably win here because of how he impacted business, but in ring and mic wise, Cena would upstage Hogan.

Now, with that example in mind you can create your own match-ups and compare, or comment on the one already made, just remember to make own too and not just focus on this one. There are plenty more match-ups to come up with, like: Morrison vs HBK, Orton vs Steve Austin and others.

This match up is too one-sided. Everyone will back Hogan here and it is not because Cena isn't better than him, it's because Hogan had so much more impact than John Cena and still does to this day. The problem is that Cena, at the time being is nowhere near the popularity as Hogan and as far as I can tell, only two men have ever really gone that close. Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock.

However, I do see where you are coming from. Cena is very good on the mic and is certainly better in the ring than Hogan but his impact shrivels in comparison to Hogan's. Hogan is a legend in the business and you can put any one up against him and he will always come out on top. He is the living legend and will always be remembered as the founding father of professional wrestling. I mean sure, pro-wrestling existed way before Hogan but would it ever have found the same popularity without him? I don't know.

Of course, if you were comparing Hogan and The Rock, this would be a much harder one to judge. Watching The Rock on Smackdown only served to remind me of the fact that he is probably the most exciting person to step inside a ring since Hogan and is probably the only person who evokes the same emotion from the WWE fans.

Papa Shango vs. The Undertaker now that would be a match made in hell both guys use freakin voodoo to get into there opponents minds it would be kinda cool

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Batista now those are two guys that like to end a match fast no matter whos watching

This is match that i always wanted to see Orton vs Jake "The Snake" Roberts lets break it down

Gimmick: their gimmicks are very similar they both have "it" to pull off this character so- Draw

In Ring Skills: Jake in his prime was a good wrestler but orton hasnt reached his prime and is a very good wrestler so- Orton

Mic skills: orton's mic skills reminde me alot of jake's but jake had something to his promos that make it better than orton's but i saw orton do a promo that had the element that jake's promos had so orton as the potential to be as good as jake but for mic skills- Jake "the snake" Roberts

Winner: Orton

Goldust vs Rico

Mic Skills: Rico was good on the mic, but Goldust could really creep you out, it was awesome. He was really the master of mindgames, I'd much rather Undertaker messed with my head than Goldust.

Gimmick: I preffered Rico's, maybe my sense of humours just juvenile but I thought he was fucking hilarious. At his best when teamed up with Charlie Haas, a man of underrated comedy value himself.

Ring skills: Rico again, Goldust was pretty good to watch but Rico just entertained me more in the ring.

Impact: Goldust, the attitude era was known for it's edgy characters but none were more so that Goldust. I'd wager that he helped usher in that edgyness that proved to boost ratings.

Ultimate Warrior vs Batista

Gimmick: The Warrior seemed to be more over with the fan in his prime.

Mic Skills: I would have to say Warrior. I know you rarely ever knew what he was talking about but it was entertaining and seem to fit his character. Batista is boring with his promos. Its just I am going to beat you up..blah blah blah

Match Skills: I think hands down Batisita...I know neither are great but Batista wins the mat skills.

WINNER: THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR

These comparisons are hard to do, because you're holding the superstars to the standards of today. If Hogan were to come along today as a newcomer, having never existed in the 80's, he wouldn't get over playing the character the same way, and the promos would not get much reaction. But relative to his time period, he's a much better promo guy then Cena, at least in terms of crowd reaction. People went nuts when he spoke.

What about Sabu vs Jeff Hardy??

Gimmick Both were/are known as taking crazy ass spots without thinking of themselvees

Mic Skills both seem to have sub par mic skills, I haven't watched a lot of old ECW but I don't remember Sabu speaking at all

Match Sills: Sabu had some good mat skills, but generally preferred jumping off stuff, Jeff has a few mat skills but their hardly seen, he generally flies about the place as well

DRAW

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back