SummerSlam '91

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I started watching through the history of SummerSlam this weekend, pulling a page out of KB's literal book to write an ebook on the event. It's actually going pretty well, except I have to keep going at a 2-a-day rate just to get through 2012 on time. I'm not sure I can keep this up.

Anyways, I drudged through the first three SUmmerSlam cards, which were fairly passabile. The third sucked pretty hardcore. About the only redeeming factor was the Rockers, and the Demolition/Hart Foundation/Legion of Doom angle. Also...as much as I hate to admit it, watching these old school shows again is making me a Hulk Hogan fan.

So I'm finally at SummerSlam '91, which I've been waiting to get to for once single reason... Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect for the Intercontinental Championship.

Here's a link, if anybody wants to watch the show with me.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10kx1v_summerslam-91-part-1_sport

Oh sweet god of Christmas in August, it's the Mountie.

Well, I guess this is good a time as any...

[YOUTUBE]vIFhXX12-PI[/YOUTUBE]

There was a LOT going on in 1991. Lots of transitional stuff. It is impossible to stress how big Savage and Elizabeth getting back together was for the wrestling world. Hell, pop culture.

Hart and Perfect was THE match of SS '91. But the main event wasn't too bad, the 6-man tag was a lot of fun, and DiBiase vs. Virgil was entertaining at worst. Plus the wedding, that's a decent SummerSlam card, considering the three pretty lousy events that preceded it.

Perhaps I overreacted a bit. I respectfully disagree with your opinions on the early SummerSlam events.

By the way, SummerSlam 89 was all kinds of awesome.

The Mountie jail segments are my favourite part of Summerslam 91.

"You want the finger? Here's the finger"

"You're not taking my picture"
"So, I guess the Boss Man kicked your butt, huh?"
"What did you say?!"
*click*

:lmao:

Perhaps I overreacted a bit. I respectfully disagree with your opinions on the early SummerSlam events.

By the way, SummerSlam 89 was all kinds of awesome.

Maybe I was a bit harsh just clumping them together. There are parts fo the first 3 I really enjoy. Actually, the are partially responsible for me becoming a Hulk Hogan fan. Except, I also really don't like Hogan after about 1992, because when he came back at WrestleMania XI he fucked up everything by (essentially) taking the title from Bret Hart, and then not having the decency to blow off a potentially great feud at SummerSlam.

Really great things about the first 3 SS include: Warrior, The Bulldogs, the Fabous Rougeaus, The Rockers, Rick Martel, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ted DiBiease, Dusty Rhodes, and shockingly more importantly than anybody else...Miss Elizabeth. How that woman got such a reaction, I will never know.

'89 was better than '88, which was WAAAY better than '90 and almost better than '91, but not nearly as good as '92.

But really... '90 was terrible. Outside of the tag team title match, find me one redeeming thing about that awful show.

I haven't watched it in ages but as a kid I loved Summerslam 1990. It had a great tag title match, one of the Ultimate Warrior's best matches ever, and Kerry Von Erich (my favorite wrestler at the time besides Sting) winning the IC Title. I look back at it with fond memories.

I thought the first three were okay, 88,89,90... 91 sucked. Sure it had that good classic moment with Macho Man, but that was it for me.

I thought the first three were okay, 88,89,90... 91 sucked. Sure it had that good classic moment with Macho Man, but that was it for me.

The commentary alone puts it in the top five. The Bossman/Mountie storyline that ran throughout the show was ten times as entertaining as anyone could've expected. Hart and Perfect put on one of the top five matches of that entire decade. Hogan and Warrior together blew the crowd away. The whole thing was entertaining, top to bottom. Having "great matches" on a card is overrated. It's entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back