• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Summer vacation!!

hatehabsforever

Staff member
Contemplating taking the family on a summer vacation to the New England area, specifically Boston or in that general vicinity. We are interested in checking out Fenway Park and seeing a concert in Foxboro. I figured while in Foxboro, I could pick up some merchandise celebrating the Superbowl Champion Patriots as well ;)

For any of you who either live in the area or have visited there for vacation yourselves, what do you think? A worthwhile place to take the family for a couple of weeks, or should I look elsewhere?

What is there to do in the area that would hold appeal younger kids? Amusement parks, water parks, etc., . I was wondering specifically about Cape Cod, but don't know if that's a good spot for kids or if it is for older visitors. As a lifelong Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots fan, even though it's the off season, I'd love to check out the area.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone would give me.

Take the history walk in Boston. If your a fan of history you'll like the places where they take you. really fascinating. You also might want to consider taking a tour of Fenway.

There's plenty of fun stuff to do in Boston, lots of great venues for shows, a theater district that usually has a comic or two doing a show at any given time, and a solid bar scene if you're a drinker. If you're in Boston itself I can give you a few restaurant suggestions and bar suggestions if you're game. Also, take a walk down Newbury street. There are a lot of cool shops there and some great eats. I also suggest checking out the Public Gardens which should be absolutely gorgeous in the summer, and the Boston Commons isn't a bad place to chill out and do some people watching if that's what you're into. There's also this dude who sells amazing flavored ice in the Commons, and there's usually a few other characters in the area as well.

PS: The Duck Tours are usually a popular tourist attraction, but as a Bostonian I know I think everyone who takes them is a dumb tourist. Still, might be worth checking out.

Oh, and if you buy tickets WAY in advance, you gotta go to Fenway. It's a terribly crappy stadium by today's standards, but it's still a peak into what watching a game was like for the fans nearly a century ago (it opened in 1912). The atmosphere there is also sort of magical. I hate the Red Sox, but when I go to Fenway I can't help but root for them.

If you're going to buy seats, I suggest cheap seats way out in centerfield. There will be some moderately priced tickets for the lower bowl, but a lot of those tickets suck. Once I dropped about 75 bucks on two tickets that weren't too far down the first baseline, but because of the way the chairs were positioned and the amount of pillars in the way I couldn't see the hitter. It's hard to watch a ball game if you can't see the hitter.

Additionally, as a Jersey guy I suppose I could be a bit of a beach snob, but I hear Cape Cod has really crappy beaches. The water is cold, the sand is full of pebbles and rocks, but they do make good potato chips. I also hear it's a fairly pretty area, but I've never been myself so I guess you'll have to find that out for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back