• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Suicide in Religion

Artemis Paradox

Occasional Pre-Show
A question asked so often, I felt it could generate a decent discussion here...

Do you believe, if you are religious, that if one commits suicide, they will go to hell?

I hear so many arguments for both sides for this. On one hand, people say that killing yourself displays your lack of faith in God (or whoever their higher being may be), and thus sends you to hell... or something like that.

On the other hand, the Bible states in John 10:28 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." This is interpreted by those who disagree with this thought to include suicide- even you can't take yourself out of God's promise of heaven, even with suicide.

So what do you believe? Are you religious? If so, how do you interpret this?

When someone commits suicide it's not an intellectual process for us to interpret. It is a sin to commit suicide but we are all sinners and we should not judge others and their actions. In other words it is not for us to decide or know. All we can do is to believe and trust:

Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"

Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye be not judged"

I won't go as far as to say that someone will suffer for all eternity if they kill themselves, although I strongly disagree with suicide. We are given life by a higher power that created us and everything around us. Our lives were a gift. If we take the effort to end our own lives then that is the same as denying this precious gift. I realize others might not agree with my religious beliefs, but that is what I believe.

Whether someone will go to hell or not for killing themselves is not for me to judge. That is between them and their creator when the person reaches the next life. I do disagree with suicide no matter what the situation is though. My life is not mine to take. No amount of suffering would make me think otherwise. Anyone who ever considers it needs to look toward someone they trust for guidance before they make a mistake that will painfully impact others in their life.

Firstly suicide can be caused by depression, a mental illness. You will not go to hell for having an illness.

Secondly Biblical examples of suicide is hard to come by. Judas is an obvious one but another is Samson. Samson is listed in the hall of faith in Hebrews as an example of someone with a high faith. He's a recorded suicide bomber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back