• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Successful Celebrity Involvement in Wrestling

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
I watched WrestleMania I for the first time in 6 or 7 years today and I was impressed with the performance of Mr T. Probably better than some of the actual wrestlers that were on the card, to be honest with you. With that in mind, and with Mark Madden's recent column on some of the worst aspects of celebrity involvement that was rife in the late 90s in WCW, I thought I'd make a thread asking these questions:

What has been the best ever performance by a celebrity in wrestling?

What makes for a successful celebrity performance in wrestling?

I'm not sure what the answer to the first question is, I'll have to have a think. As for the second question, the answer is in the level of involvement. Having people like Jay Leno squaring off with Hulk Hogan is completely unbelievable and doesn't do anything except make the wrestler look like a weakling.

I think the key is to let the celebrity be involved prominently, but not have them as the primary focus. If you look at Mr T's match at WrestleMania I, he slams the opponents a couple of times, even performing a much more fluid version of Wade Barrett's finisher than Barrett has ever attempted, with the commentators emphasising his amateur fighting credentials. This made the whole thing fit, and ultimately allowing Hogan to get the pin after something that Bob Orton did made the whole exercise more believable.

Of course, with people like Mr T, Lawrence Taylor and Mike Tyson, it's easy to make the fight look like it has real credentials, but what of weedier celebrities? There are two answers. One is to give them a small segment in a match where they are briefly on top before running scared as a bit of comic relief. This doesn't always work, but Drew Carey's appearance in the 2001 Royal Rumble is a pretty good example of how it can. The other alternative is to keep them out of the ring as managers or some other bull shit. WrestleMania I is famed for being star studded, but of the four celebrities involved, only Mr T was an in ring competitor. Would the Road Wild main event really have been any less of a draw if it had been DDP with Jay Leno as manager against Hulk Hogan with Eric Bischoff. This would still allow for a feel good moment of something like Leno twatting Bischoff, but would have prevented a farce.

The key then, in my mind, to a successful celebrity cameo is for it to be exactly that, a cameo. If it's believable that they could face a wrestler - i.e. if they are legitimately an athlete, then and only then does an in ring apearance make sense, and even then, any victory should be made to look like a fluke or be dirty, e.g. Floyd Mayweather's win over Big Show.

Anybody remember when robocop was the enforcer. At the time I loved but looking back Im like that is the stupidest storyline I have ever seen.
I think Mike Tyson worked well because he was an ENFORCER/REFEREE and not wrestling so it was kinda believable. You could buy him as a tough guy and somebody who could legitamately knock out shawn michaels or even triple h. The same goes for Chuck Norris I suppose but to a lesser extent (probably just cause I dont like him). Chuck you could buy as an enforcer type guy also but not a wrestler.
People like Pee Wee Herman and that Screech dude have no place in wrestling. I dont mind celebrities in the corners of wrestlers like Donald Trump, I think celebrities can fill manager roles well and that role could be filled by anybody really.

i dont know about anyone else but i thought chuck norris was a good celeb enforcer for the undertaker/yokuzuna casket match. Double J took a kick and the rest backed off. just the presence was interesting enough for me

I have never liked it when anyone from outside of wrestling was used in wrestling. Firstly whenever they try to wrestle they look like morons, examples Dennis Rodman and Jay Leno. Secondly when they win it makes the wrestler they lost to look like an idiot, example LT beating Bam Bam Bigelow.

I'll answer the questions in reverse order.

Answer: In my opinion, I don't mind if celebrities want to make appearances at wrestling events, but they can only be successful if they have minimal, if any, involvement with the show other than time keeper, ring announcer, etc. When they're involved with wrestlers either as a referee, interviewer, performer (in-ring or a non-anthem concert), etc, that's when it all goes downhill.

Answer: Recently, I would say Bob Barker because not only is he a television legend, but his segments were pretty good compared to almost all of the other guest hosts. Of all time, I'm going with Aretha Franklin singing America the Beautiful at WrestleMania III.

Like pessimism I've got to answer this question in reverse order... I think what makes for a successful celebrity role is firstly the celeb HAS TO BE A FAN!!!! I can't stress that enough, it's absolutely wretched when a celeb comes in and has no idea who people are. Even guys i've liked as guest hosts and celebs have looked ridiculous by not knowing the product at all (jeremy piven). Mike Tyson was actually pretty good at first like the stone cold confrontation and turning on him joining DX was all awesome, but then it went downhill. Celebs are good up until the confrontation, after that it gets to be ridiculous. They just have no business in the ring and it looks so forced. The guest hosts at time had potential and some were good some were a joke. My fav of course was dule hill since he looked like he wanted to be there, roday woulda been even better since he obviously loves wrestling more. But I would not need to see htem in the ring at all, the roles they played was perfect

I don't have a problem with celebrities wrestling but they need to be matched with the right wrestler. It promotes the celebrities and it CAN draw more interest. Unless it is believable like Norris (who is into martial arts) and Tyson (who was boxing), they don't need to be placed in the main event picture. I think Rodman, Arquette, and Leno were a joke and didn't need to be going up against main eventers. If it were to be done again, I think it would've worked to put over a celebrity if the went with mid-card wrestlers. Throw Disco Inferno into the mix against David Arquette and it'd be believable and it promotes Arquette.

I guess you have to start with Mr. T and Cyndi Lauper. Without them and their involvement Wrestle Mania I would have been nothing more than a house-show ! They got the WWF so much mainstream coverage and brought in so many casual fans !

Andy Kaufman would be another choice ! He was great in Memphis and the angle on the David Letterman show with Lawler is still tallked about today and it happened back in1982.

I would have to go with Mike Tyson

He was a legitimate superstar at the time of his involvement at WM, albeit extremely notorious for the ear-biting incident and his subsequent suspension from boxing. However, it worked because Tyson had a reputation for being tough, a dangerous man and legitimately dangerous...perfect for wrestling. People knew he was tough enough to beat up most of the wrestlers he would have been in the ring with.

Compare this to someone like Kevin Federline, who most fans could knock out in 1 punch, or Jay Leno...a fat talk show host

Tyson was a sportsman, a fighter, in an enviroment based around fighting (albeit scripted and pre-determined). This is why he worked so well. Add to this his involvement with the hottest thing in the business at the time (Austin and DX) and that makes for a HUGE success

I'm gonna go with Floyd Mayweather here. At first it was looking terrible, but then the WWE took notice of the fact that the fans didn't like Mayweather and didn't want to cheer him in his efforts against Big Show. Once they made Mayweather a tweener/heel (pretty much the same as Show) it became interesting. The match itself wasn't spectacular, but it was much better than I expected. It also didn't make Big Show look weak as Mayweather won dirty and it was all believable in the end.

What has been the best ever performance by a celebrity in wrestling? That would be Mike Tyson for me, in the lead up to Wrestlemania 14 of course, not his Raw guest host appearance. Why, because he was believable, he was known as being a tough guy that people wouldn't want to mess with which made his role as guest enforcer a perfect one, neither man would want to argue with him because he could knock them out with one punch. Also he was a huge name at the time and he added some credibility to the WWF in a time where WCW was still on top in the ratings, he helped rectify that and soon after the WWF were on top sure a lot of that was due to Austin but I maintain Tyson also had a quite a bit to do with it.

What makes for a successful celebrity performance in wrestling? Really it depends on the celebrity, if they are being brought in to work a long term storyline with a wrestler then I would say that mic skills would be important as well as being able to do enough in the ring to have a blow off match. If it is just a one night guest spot then I would say it is important not to hog the spotlight, maybe have a couple of back stage segments, get your face on the show promote what ever it is your promoting and get off, don't take the spotlight away from the wrestlers.

The best used celebrity was probably Tyson. His involvement in the Austin/Michaels feud really brought the match and the whole event to the next level. Mike Tyson was a HUGE name and for the WWF to bring him in not only assisted the sales of the PPV but also was a definitive factor in helping the WWF go over WCW in the ratings. People came for Tyson, but they stayed for Austin. Simple enough concept, executed to perfection.

Depends on the celebrity but if it's a sporting figure like a Mike Tyson or a Floyd Mayweather then getting them actively involved in a wrestling match as either a wrestler or an enforcer is going to intrigue many. If the celebrity has something at stake then that's also going to intrigue many. Take Donald Trump at Mania 23. We pretty much knew that he wasn't going to be shaved bald, but there was that slim possibility and people wanted to see that.

I remember Me and my little brother grew up watching Tyson fights with my dad throughout the 90's. When we seen him on Raw and at Wrestlemania XIV we were convinced that wrestling was real, and our monday nights were booked for about a year(until we discovered ECW).

"People came for Tyson, but they stayed for Austin. Simple enough concept, executed to perfection."

Exactly what happened in my household.

we all can agree on Tyson is one of most successful celeb involvement but Floyd is one of the worst got pay $20M and didn't get anything out of it. i remember Austin was shock and jokingly said on interview he would come back for $10m without second thought. $20m for Rock-Austin come back for Road To WM could have work alot better have a big feud and elevate young guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back