• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Storylines / Angles That Never Happened...

Alright Wrestling Universe,

Came across a couple of interesting reads the other day on Bleacher about storylines & angles that were proposed but eventually thrown out!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/807563-9-proposed-angles-that-thankfully-never-happened

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/80243-the-huge-paul-london-storyline-that-never-happened

(Don't know how true the second one is?!)

So then...
What other storylines/angles besides the article do we think should have happened or were rumored but never made the cut?

You can count feuds into the discussion as well.

JUST BRING IT!

Depends how it plays out now, but Wade Barrett winning/not winning Money In The Bank at Wrestlemania 28. That's the one that sticks out now, plus he's British. Always good to see a Brit at the top, just like in 1776... oh wait

One of the big ones I can remember right off the top of my head is Hogan/Flair during Flair's first run in the then WWF. It seemed like a no brainer that WWE would build towards a Hogan/Flair match at WM 8, with arguably the two biggest names in the business finally under one promotion, but WWE avoided it like the plague. The closest I remember them ever really coming to it, was a tag team match with Hogan and Sid Justice vs Flair and Undertaker.

We've seen Hogan/Flair in WCW and TNA, but I still feel that had WWE ran with that ball in the early 90's, it could have been something huge.

I always thought WWE might try and get Goldberg and Austin in the ring together as well, given their similarities and statures in their respective promotions when WCW was still around. They came close with Austin refereeing Goldberg/Lesnar, but Austin wasn't really competing at that time, and Goldberg was on his way out..so that's one I don't think we will ever see either.

I will say, I don't buy that London one at all.

This reminds me of how fucked up Vince was at times, my goodness.

One that comes to mind is the payoff between the Nexus and Undertaker. Presumably would have been Barrett who would have feuded with Taker.

RAW GM obviously as well. Could have been lots of potential, but they seem to be going in the right direction with Johnny Ace right now.

bret hart vs hollywood hogan when he first arrived in wcw wouldve been HUUUGE, they really dropped the ball on that. I also thought that scott stiener vs goldberg as a proper 6 month- year feud would have been spectacular as as stiener couldve easliy been built as the monster heel capable of beating goldberg clean

That Baron Von Bava idea was fucking hilarious!!!!!!!

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, a storyline that I would've like to have seen was Mr. Kennedy vs. CM Punk. From what I recall, Mr. Kennedy was originally was going to be part of the relaunch of ECW. If that had happened, he would've become one of the top heels on the brand. At the same time, CM Punk would've rose up the ranks as well. They would've collided eventually. That feud could have the makings of the Austin/Rock feud before they became megastars.

2 I can remember might give credence to #2.
If I remember correctly, there was going to be an incest angle with ken Shamriock and his onscreen sister Ryan. I think Ken was willing but some wrestlers talked him out of it.
Alsio there was talk of brother/sister Paul and katie Lee Burchill were suppose to give the incest vibe.

Man Vinnie mac has issues

I'm sure there are thousands of scrapped storylines, and some are thrown out just to get the creative juices flowing.

One that never really went any where was GTV, the spy camera that was videotaping random and embarrassing moments of the wrestlers. Another is the conclusion of the Anonymous Raw GM (do they even set up the laptop at ringside any more?).

There are so many more storylines that were dropped half way in.

I did some research and here's what I found:

*Christian originally slated to be Jeff Hardy's attacker back in 2009.
*Kurt Angle originally slated to win the Undisputed Title at Vengeance 2001.
*Matt Hardy proposed an "Angelic Diablo" gimmick for his return from injury before his release around the Edge-Lita scandal.
*Kane/Rey in 2008 was actually supposed to be Kane returning with the mask.
*Batista vs Mohammed Hassan for Summerslam 2005 was originally supposed to have Hassan winning the WHC. Of course, he was fired before this could happen.
*Jericho originally planned to face a big time legend at Wrestlemania 25, rumoured to be Hulk Hogan or even Steve Austin.
*Cena vs Michaels at WM 23 was supposed to be Cena vs HHH but HHH got injured against Rated RKO the previous December.
*Lex Luger was supposed to win the WWF title at WM 10 but due to lack of popularity they put Bret Hart over instead (one internet rumor was that Bret refused to let Lex go over and threatened to walk out but neither party gave any hint that that was true)
*Ahmed vs. Farooq was supposed to happen at Summer Slam 1996 (they had graphics etc.) but then Ahmed got a legit kidney injury.
*Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake was supposed to win the Intercontinental Title from The Honky Tonk Man at SummerSlam 1988, but the writers felt that he hadn't been getting over on his face push and instead gave it to The Ultimate Warrior, changing the storyline less than 3 weeks before the PPV. He was then written in again to win the Intercontinental Title at SummerSlam 1990 from Mr. Perfect (Brutus was the first person to pin Curt Hennig in the WWF ending his streak), but just before the PPV he was involved in a parasailing accident requiring 9 hours of surgery to completely reconstruct his face and was out of wrestling for around 3 years. Instead the title went to "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich.
*Apparently, Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan were supposed to face each other at Summerslam 93 but Hogan refused to lose to him because apparently he was ''too small'' and lost the belt to Yokozuna instead.
*A young Rocky Maivia was going to work a program with Shawn Michaels and HBK, being the ego maniac he was back then (and still is today in a way) refused to work with the young Rocky.
*If Owen didn't fall to his death when he did he was meant to get the "Game" gimmick that Triple H had throughout his entire career and pretty much everything Triple H now was meant to be him, leaving Triple H to recieve it as a fluke.
*The Wrestlemania 18 main events were planned to be totally different. The original plan was Austin vs Rock in a rematch from Mania 17 with Austin as the heel.However after HHH got injured they wanted heel Austin vs babyface HHH as the main event and Austin vs Rock at Summerslam (which then never took place). Problem now was that Austin refused to stay heel until Mania and drop the title to HHH.So now they needed a new heel champ to face HHH. They decided to give Angle the belt until a few days prior to Vengeance when Vince decided to push Y2J instead and give him the title and so it ended up being Y2J vs HHH. This left Austin and Rock with no opponents again so they planned to have the rematch between those two (face vs face) just without the title on the line. This plan changed however when they brought in the NWO.
*Obviously feeling Austin vs Hogan or Rock vs Hogan would be a bigger draw than the rematch between Austin and Rock they approached Austin with the idea to wrestle Hogan which he declined. So they went with Rock vs Hogan.
*Lesnar/Austin was supposed to happen at Wrestlemania 19, but Austin didn't want to put Lesnar over. Definitely changed for the better for both men that night.
* Shawn Micheals Vs John Cena was actually set to continue well beyond backlash. The Cena/Khali fued was there to allow Cena/Micheals fued to take a break with HBK coming back and take the title off Cena. But Shawn decides to take sometime off and plan were change. They ended up doing a HBK beat John Cena in a 1 hour match.
*Big Show was chasing Chris Masters (when Master was still having his big push) to take on his Master Lock challenge. But after 3 weeks, the feud was dropped.
*A member of the WWE SmackDown creative team pitched an angle for the Dolph Ziggler and Maria storyline which would have had Ziggler blackmailing Maria with video footage. It would have been heavily implied that the footage was a sex tape, although they never would have come right out and said it.The proposed angle called for Ziggler threatening that he would show it to her family and friends, but not any of the fans. The angle was rejected.
*Booker T once recieved a note:"I still remember"
*A match between Umaga & Jackass was once planned.
*Before the unveiling of Hornswoggle as 'Vinces son' just over a year ago the planned storyline was actually to have Mr Kennedy be the 'illigitimate Mcmahon'. In this scenario Kennedy would be embraced by Vince as his son and head in to a feud with Shane and then HHH, for this WWE would actually acknowledge on screen that Stephanie and HHH are married and the two would be a couple on tv. This may have even led to a feud between the two over the WWE title.

Wasnt wade barrett supposed to win the mitb match at wrestlemania, but they took off the match completely because he got injured? Thats really the only thing i can think of off the top of my head.

Brock Lesnar Vs Triple H..

I know they had a triple threat match between them with The Rock in the fold but.... Had Lesnar stayed around longer than 3 years, i think the WWE actually would of gave us them two at Mania.. idk i just think it would of been a unique legendary clash.

While the May Young/Mark Henry thing was by far the stupidest, most shameful thing the WWE has ever done (Yes, even worse than the "Gobbledy Gooker), I'm kinda curious how they intended for that whole fiasco to play out.

Let's say they didn't wisely cut that whole angle short and have her give birth to a disembodied hand. What was supposed to happen? What could they have possibly been thinking? And -WHO- thought that would be a good idea?

Degeneration X vs Brothers of Destruction for the Tag Team Titles. The two most baddest tag teams on the history of the business squaring off for the biggest tag team prize in the industry :) Would have been a great feud, but i don't think it ever happened, or it ever will.

I just thought of another one.

According to "Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW," the addition of Bobby Lashley to ECW in 2006 was something Paul Heyman was not in favor of at first as it went against the current booking at the time. Heyman was concentrating on Rob Van Dam chasing the Big Show and eventually regaining the ECW World Championship and CM Punk's rise to the top of ECW. Having Lashley join the brand out of the blue changed that.

But Heyman thought he could turn it into a positive by turning Lashley heel at December to Dismember. According to the book, the Big Show would be the first person eliminated by CM Punk (something Big Show was in favor of), thus guaranteeing a new champion. It would come down to Lashley and RVD. Heyman would then help Lashley win the championship and take him on as his newest client. The next night, Lashley would defeat the Big Show due to Heyman's betrayal, thus allowing him to leave the company. Then at WrestleMania, Lashley would defend his championship against either RVD or CM Punk, whoever was hottest at the time.

After reading that, I thought that would've been interesting to see. Lashley never seemed to have gotten over the way Vince McMahon wanted to. But by having him turn heel and aligning himself with Heyman, it would've gotten him over more.

But McMahon was determined to get Lashley over as the superhero of ECW, much like John Cena and Batista were of RAW and SmackDown respectively, at the expense of the entire ECW roster if necessary. Thus, the debacle that was December to Dismember and Heyman's departure from the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back