• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting vs Taker Wrestlemania 34 - Double Retirement

MrGameTime

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ok...

Let's get to it, There's a reason why Sting has yet to undergo his neck surgery and he has put it off after the Rollins match, Theres a reason why Sting is still keeping up a heavy gym routine and constantly talks about the Taker match in interviews, There is a reason why Undertaker was involved in the WM34 press conference and has now been advertised in the promo videos for next year...

If I was a betting man I can see it pan out like this:

Undertaker appears on RAW and says he is finished and slightly breaks character and thanks the fans for all the support throughout the years and states after the Reigns loss he is retiring from wrestling...

The icons music hits, In comes Sting in full face paint and attire, meets Taker in the middle of the ring and says he can't retire untill they battle it out and finish there careers together in the ultimate showdown at Wrestlemania 34.

What a fitting way for both legends to go out, sure the match wont be a 5 star classic but it doesn't need to be. With the entrances, the promos, the builds it will be nostalgia heaven and will make alot of money for all involved.

I can honestly see this panning out, What is everyone's thoughts?

It could work if time travel existed and we had WrestleMania 34 take place oh I don't know 5 years ago where both men were still active.

In all seriousness though, I don't want it. Taker can't go, he's not gonna put the hip surgery off another year and next year would only be worse. Not to mention the fact that last night was a fitting end and the post match was perfect. I wouldn't want to see that wasted. I don't wanna see him go out any other way.

No more live matches for these two. If they want to do something, go outside the box and do a Final Deletion/Whatever the Heck The Wyatts and New Day Did. It's been kind of hard seeing younger, stronger wrestlers carry them the last few years. If they are going to fight, use the magic of editing to make it worthwhile for the viewer. I know you lose out on the gate but WM seems to do fine on it's own bringing people through the door.

No... Taker is 100% done. No way would he mess with the fans that way after leaving his gear in the ring. If HBK stayed retired out of respect for him, he can do no less when he retires... he'd take that VERY seriously.

We didn't get to see this match... it can live as one of the missed opportunities like Flair/Hogan at Mania 8 or Savage v Bret Hart at Mania 9...

It would be incredibly cheap after last night's sendoff.

Undertaker broke kayfabe. That's a fairly big deal for him, since he's not know for doing that. Anything after that moment would just be weak.

These 2 legends are done. No way Taker closes the show with a loss to Reigns and wrestles again the next year. It's time for both to retire period.

Now maybe having these 2 legends host Wrestlemania next year, that would be ok....

There is absolutely no way I can see this happening, and personally, as much as I always wanted to see Sting versus Undertaker at Wrestlemania (even up until the last couple of years), I would not want to see it happen. Not now. Not after how everything played out.

Sting is done and already in the WWE Hall of Fame. I don't see a superstar of his caliber, with all the respect of the business I imagine he has, coming out of retirement, subsequent to his induction, to wrestle another match as he approaches his 60th birthday. I would argue that he had his moment in the sun in WWE, after an extensive career elsewhere. Some guys on here feel that WWE did not treat him well in his brief time with WWE. I totally disagree. They took a guy who snubbed WWE all his career, when he had ample opportunity to move on over, and made a big deal out of him, and made him look like a million bucks, despite his advancing age and physical deterioration. He is not going to crap all over that and come back for one more match. It's pointless.

After seeing Wrestlemania last night, I am convinced that Taker is completely done for multiple reasons. And he went out the right way, with a respectable loss to a guy of the future. With a dramatic respectful emotional send off. He will never be seen again in WWE, with one exception. His headlining of the WWE Hall of Fame, class of 2018.

There is no way that the Undertaker himself, and WWE as a whole, go through all of the pomp and pageantry of last night, only to bring him back for one more meaningless, unnecessary, redundant match. As sad as it makes me to realize it, they are both done. 100%. Time to go enjoy a well deserved retirement.

The Undertaker left his ring gear in the ring and then proceeded to kiss his 'real-life' wife, Michelle McCool on Live Camera.

There is no way he comes back for another match ever again let alone at Mania. Especially given the stage is now set for Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns 2 at some point in the future to finish what they started back at WrestleMania 31.

A guy of Taker's standing within WWE wouldn't ever try to mess up the perfect ending to last night and the possibilities of the follow-up to come in the aftermath.

On a different note, it was heartening to see WWE get the results side of the booking right in practically every match unlike Mania 32 which had some clear "F-U" booking all round.

The Undertaker vs Sting was the big money match that Vince, Trips and WWE never wanted. Vince McMahon would NEVER let his best creation Undertaker end his career against somebody else's creation (Sting). McMahon's ego and inability to give the FANS WHAT THEY WANT would never allow us to witness this ultimate dream match. Instead we get Vince and Trips ****** creation Roman Reigns and his childish Superman Punch putting an end to the Phenom. Forever.

One thing I'd like to add to the Undertaker retiring hoopla. What would be the point of 'retiring' the Undertaker with absolutely no hype whatsoever before the match? I don't get it. Yes, there was tons of pomp and circumstance. Lots of pyro, the chilling music, the long match, all the kickouts..The same exact Undertaker stuff we see Mania after Mania (minus him placing his gear in the middle of the ring and hugging his wife). But how does ANY of this lead one to conclude 100 percent that the Undertaker is finished? Oh he has to do a hip surgery. Fine. Then 'sell' Wrestlemania 33 as Undertaker's final match and the show gets twice as much attention from all the casual/old wrestling fans who don't watch. Marks who cling to this notion of 'class' are simply jumping to conclusions and making assumptions because they're at the end of the day 'marks'..being led along by insider wrestling journalists..insider personalities..their own biases..I'm certain Taker will show up on RAW and say goodbye to us all tonight too seemingly putting it all to rest. But...I'm not buying that this is his last match..definitely not his last WM appearance!

Why? Because the greatest wrestling entertainer of ALL TIME cannot possibly walk away from the ring forever after losing to arguably the worst main event entertainer of all time with no build up at all for this being the big, final retirement. I'm just not buying it. Taker's what? 52? Sting wrestled at 56, Hogan was wrestling Orton at 55. Flair 59. I don't believe WWE has 'set up' Taker to retire like Shawn and for good. This one seems open ended to me still. I may be proven wrong after RAW tonight, but my guts tells me that the lack of 'hyping' his retirement will leave things open ended in case Taker wants to come back for an encore a year or two down the road for one final match. In which Taker will win.

I know a lot of you can't get your head around how WWE could 'top' the sendoff for Taker after last night. I don't follow. I watched the same show and ending and it would be a great ending for maybe The Big Show or Kane. However, I didn't think it was really all that well done or the 'perfect' ending considering this is the Undertaker we are talking about. Dropping through the floor a perfect ending? C'mon guys. That's almost as dumb as the Super Punch of death. Placing his gear in the middle of the ring was meant to be classy..but again, sorta dumb for the greatest in ring entertainer of the modern era. At least it wasn't as ******ed as the aerial shots of worms in the middle of the ring during the Orton/Wyatt match..That takes the cake on stupid.

Anyway, I think Taker needs a proper send off against a true legend and beating Sting a year from now would be the best way for them to go out. We really need to see an ultimate pyro show with twice the pomp and circumstance. We need Sting repelling from the rafters and Taker doing a lot crazier Taker stuff than we saw last night. None of this tired old Undertaker crap. He's the freaking Undertaker. Even at 52, he can easily beat up a little shit like Roman who can't even figure out how to deliver the simplest cheesy McMahon-written lines. I'm certain Taker and Sting can put off their pending surgeries and wait ONE more year for the biggest dream match in history. I'm just certain neither Vince or Triple H have one sweet clue how to manage Undertaker's legacy and what's really best for business. Because, seriously, 3 Taker Wrestlemania matches against Triple H was the BIGGEST all time waste of the Deadman considering all the other dream matches that existed.

Undertaker very clearly retired last night, and Sting said "I'm retired" during his HOF induction. Many have come out of retirement (Michaels, Flair) but usually to diminishing returns.

The only opportunity to have this match was at WrestleMania 31, it was instead passed up for a baffling Triple H victory.

Undertaker's retirement was very fitting last night. It's too bad it came after a sloppy and sluggish match, but Taker is a man working against the toll that time and 30+ years in the wrestling industry.

Why tarnish a great Undertaker retirement and risk Sting's life?

Get yourself a copy of WWE 2K17 and you can play this match over and over and over again. That's the only place you can or should see this match. Should we have seen it? Yes. Should we see it in the future? No.

It's time to face facts that Taker vs. Sting is never going to happen unless it's part of a video game.

While it's not 100% confirmed, Taker leaving his gear in the ring and giving his wife a kiss at ringside, which is a big break in kayfabe for a man that's spent 30 years doing what he can to protect kayfabe, are rock solid signs that last night was Taker's last match. His body is beaten up, he's much more limited than he used to be, his hips are so bad that old school spots like Old School and the Irish Whip leading to the leaping clothesline can't be done anymore and he's 52 years old.

You can take some of those same reasons for Taker and apply them to Sting, especially the age thing as Sting will be 59 years old by the time WrestleMania 34 comes about. Sting suffered a neck injury during his match with Seth Rollins and even though some hate to admit this, Rollins performed the move right but Sting's body just couldn't handle the impact. WWE is especially cautious when it comes to cervical and cranial trauma, so couple that with Sting's age and what you have is about a 99.99% guarantee that Sting will never wrestle inside a WWE ring again.

Also, the match itself would more than likely be pure crap. What would it accomplish? Giving nostalgiaholics yet another cool moment they can treasure? They get and have gotten plenty of those already. Taker and Sting are legends, they've more than earned that level of status but they're mortal men and it's not worth risking seeing them get hurt again just so fans who like to jack off to the old days can shoot one more load.

It's time to face facts that Taker vs. Sting is never going to happen unless it's part of a video game.

While it's not 100% confirmed, Taker leaving his gear in the ring and giving his wife a kiss at ringside, which is a big break in kayfabe for a man that's spent 30 years doing what he can to protect kayfabe, are rock solid signs that last night was Taker's last match. His body is beaten up, he's much more limited than he used to be, his hips are so bad that old school spots like Old School and the Irish Whip leading to the leaping clothesline can't be done anymore and he's 52 years old.

You can take some of those same reasons for Taker and apply them to Sting, especially the age thing as Sting will be 59 years old by the time WrestleMania 34 comes about. Sting suffered a neck injury during his match with Seth Rollins and even though some hate to admit this, Rollins performed the move right but Sting's body just couldn't handle the impact. WWE is especially cautious when it comes to cervical and cranial trauma, so couple that with Sting's age and what you have is about a 99.99% guarantee that Sting will never wrestle inside a WWE ring again.

Also, the match itself would more than likely be pure crap. What would it accomplish? Giving nostalgiaholics yet another cool moment they can treasure? They get and have gotten plenty of those already. Taker and Sting are legends, they've more than earned that level of status but they're mortal men and it's not worth risking seeing them get hurt again just so fans who like to jack off to the old days can shoot one more load.

Like Taker's match this year with crap performer Roman Reigns wasn't really just pure crap? Let's face facts. Taker ain't putting on a wrestling clinic. He's an old washed up relic who fell off a cliff physically half a decade ago. I'd 100 billion times rather watch 20 minutes of ring entrances and 1-3 minutes of wrestling between Sting and Undertaker at age 70 than I would want to watch Undertaker vs Roman Reign. Or let's just say watch line fumbling Roman Reigns ANYWHERE near the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back