Steven's Section for Spanish Rock/Rap/Reggaeton

Mr. Steve

Everybody calls me Ruxin, Rupert.
X gave me inspiration for this when he spoke of 2 minutos(cervezaa!!)

Well, I've yet to bring something worhtwhile to this forum(or something interesting. Here it goes! In this thread, I wanna share something with you all. Which is music most of you haven't heard of, except in movies that are set in Mexico or something.

If anyone has any favorite bands/Rappers, feel free to post them here.

I'm gonna post up these videos, and agian, feel free to comment. The songs I'm putting up, you've probably heard them from somewhere.

1-Delinquent Habits
Delinquent Habits (a.k.a. Los Delinquentes) is a Chicano hip hop group. Formed in Los Angeles in 1991, they are known for their Latin-tinged rap, which is both melodic and hardcore. Their first album was executive produced by Cypress Hill member Sen Dog and featured guest appearances by Sen himself as well as Puerto Rican New York City rapper Hurricane G. Their second album, Here Come The Horns, again featured Sen Dog as well as Sen's brother, pioneering Latin rapper Mellow Man Ace. The melodic "Merry Go Round" featured the female singer Michelle. The group chose to focus more on hardcore rap on their fourth offering, "Freedom Band".
(if you've seen Double take or played Total Overdose, you've heard of this song)
[youtube]mX1xyxWkmw0[/youtube]

2-Los Fabulosos Cadillacs:
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs is a Latin-American rock and pop band from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Formed in 1985, they released their first album, Bares y Fondas (Bars and Boardinghouses) in 1986. Since then they have released fourteen more albums. They are one of the most influential and most-referenced rock band of the Latin rock world.

The band's sound is a mix of rock, ska, jazz, folk, reggae, funk and big band. The lineup has changed throughout the years, but the core members have always been the co-founders: singer Gabriel Fernandez Capello (known as Vicentico) and bassist Flavio Cianciarulo (known as Sr. Flavio). Vicentico and Sr. Flavio have done the majority of the songwriting and lyrics as well. Drummer Fernando Ricciardi and keyboardist Mario Siperman have also been featured in all lineups of the band.

They got a song in Both The Matador, and Grosse Pointe Blank. They also covered "Should I stay or Should I go?"
[youtube]58lN67LfJpw[/youtube]

3-Maná:
Maná is a popular Mexican pop/rock band from Guadalajara whose career has spanned almost three decades. They have earned four Grammy Awards, five Latin Grammy Awards, five MTV Video Music Awards Latin America, three Premios Juventud awards, nine Billboard Latin Music Awards and 12 Premios Lo Nuestro awards. Their sound has been described as being anywhere from pop rock, latin pop, calypso to reggae. They initially received notoriety and commercial success in Latin America and Spain and have since gained popularity and exposure in the US, Western Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. They have sold more than 22 million albums

What's there TO say from this band? Hell, the video I put from them is the song people in youtube dedicate to their loved.
[youtube]b2M9trRkX7Y[/youtube]

4- La Secta Allstar:
La Secta AllStar (or simply La Secta) is the most successful rock en Español band from Puerto Rico. The band members are Mark Kilpatrick (bass guitar), Gustavo Laureano (singer), John Lengel (drums), and Mikey Genao (guitar).
this is one of their more recent songs, and it's a damn good one. They're the guys that started the indie movement to PR. And also, this song is one people dedicate to their couple.
[youtube]NMp6tukFWH8[/youtube]

I could go on and on, but what's the point in me just spamming the whole thing? Feel free to comment on these bands, and put up videos of your favorites.

Note: The info from the bands are taken from Wikipedia.

The music is Spanish I listen is from Ranchera/Mariachi to Regional Mexicana to Reggaeton to Rock in Spanish.
Recently I've been listening to Vicente Fernandez, basically he's a legend in Mexico.He's been making music for 40+ years & he's still very popular His first album came out in 1968 & his latest one, this year. There's nothing like listening to his music while drinking Tequila. I'm going to see his concert next month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicente_Fernández
Wiki said:
Vicente Fernández Gómez (born February 17, 1940),[1] simply known as Vicente Fernández, is a Mexican singer and actor. Known as el "El Idolo de Mexico" (the idol of Mexico) and "El Rey" (The King) throughout the Latin world, Vicente Fernandez, who started his career singing for tips on the street, has become a Mexican cultural icon, recording more than 50 albums and contributing to 40 movies. He is the father of singer Alejandro Fernández. Although less well known to English-speaking audiences, he has consistently filled stadiums and venues throughout his 35-plus years of performing. His repertoire is pure ranchera, a style described by Daniel Chang of the Miami Herald as representing "the Mexico of old – a way of life romanticized by rural ranches, revolution, and philandering caballeros". He has sold over 60 million copies worldwide.[2]

Latest single from him
Estos celos (This Jealousy)

other songs from him
Vicente Fernandez & Roberto Carlos aunque mal paguen ellas (even though they pay bad)

Botas de Charro (cowboy boots)

El Rey (The king)

El Derrotado (the defeated)

Wow, how in the fuck did I miss this thread the first time around? My apologies Steven. Yes, I'm a big fan of Spanish punk rock specifically, from US-based bands like South Central Riot Squad to Argentine punk like old school 2 Minutos, and Los Violadores. To me the eternal Spanish punk anthem though is 2 Minutos' "Ya No Sos Igual", which I've listened to so often that I know the entire song by heart phonetically.

2 Minutos - Ya No Sos Igual

That song is probably one of my favorite songs ever. I'm also a fan of some chicano rap but most of that is primarily in English and based in the United States. Big fan of Brazil, Argentina and Spain when it comes to punk though. Something about the language lends itself perfectly to punk, especially in a country with a history of fascism like Spain.

So right, I remembered the names of two more great Spanish punk bands that I really, really dig. The first one, which is a pretty obscure band, is Sin Apoyo. Amazing hardcore band, but unfortunately I can't find any of their songs on YouTube, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. The other band is a relatively more well known one, and that's Sin Dios. Great band that has really evolved past their punk elements to combine all sorts of music into their work. Here's a few songs...

Great band.

God Bless you Steve. I was beginning to give up hope in my spanish music world. But then I found this thread and it reminded me that there is more to spanish music than Arcangel:suspic:.

At the moment I mostly listen to ranchera. Mostly because over here it's all about horses and cowboy hats (weird fad). The first to stand out would be Vicente Fernandez, but my fave in the genre is "Tite y los Sureños". Their songs are histerical. Especially "El muerto parao". The best part is that is based on a true story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back