Steve Yzerman: Can he save the Lightning?

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
A few days ago Steve Yzerman was hired to be the new GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2003-2004 the year before the lockout. Since then they lost in the first round the first 2 years after the lockout and haven't even made the playoffs the last three years. They still have some talent with Lecaviler and St. Louis but overall the team has gone down hill since Bill Davidson sold the team in 2007.

Yzerman is one of the greatest players and captains in NHL history. He comes from a great organization in the Detroit Red Wings where he spent all 22 years of his playing career, 19 of them as captain. After retiring he was hired as Vice President of Operations and served in that role for 4 years. He is a great hockey mind and an even better person. Tampa isn't an ideal situation but if anyone can make it work Stevie Y can.

So what are your thoughts on the hiring and how well do you think Yzerman will do?

Really, Tampa isnt in that bad of a situation. They have a top line that can compete with anyone in Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Stamkos. Also with Stamkos, they have their franchise player for years to come. He just finished his second year and he already has a Rocket Richard Trophy. They also have a franchise stud on D in Hedman. Its a matter of building depth and I think Stevie Y can get the job done.

I think so...although I wonder how long the captain will stay there. I live in Michigan, long time Wings fan, and the press out of Detroit think this is a temp job. Basically that when the time comes for Ken Holland to step down as GM, all Yzerman has to do is ask, and the job is his. Tampa Bay is merely a warm-up, because Yzerman is the heir apparent to Holland.

Yes, Yzerman can be successful in Tampa Bay as the GM. I am a life long Michigan resident and Wings fan and know the value of Stevie Y.

He is a true embassador of hockey and has an eye for talent. He will be able to attract good free agents and a better fan base. Tampa's not that far from a good playoff run. They need an elite coach to begin with, and one will come because of Yzerman. He is a winner...it took him many years to figure out how to win, but he did.

He was the GM of team Canada, and must have built relationships w/ many of its players...expect him to nab a few of team Canada's up and comers.

That all depends on whether or not Stevie's relationship with the players who played for Team Canada is stronger than the distaste for playing in one of the poorest hockey markets in the United States.

The Lightning were 21st in attendance this last season averaging 15,497 fans a game, which equates only 78.4% of their potential.

Fact is, Tampa's market itself has a very unsuccessful and miniscule youth hockey program, and because of this, it's very difficult for them to get droves of new fans to care about the team – especially while it's losing as badly as it has been in every year since the lockout. Because of this, money (real dollars) will be an issue, regardless of whether or not they act as a cap-team and spend toward the ceiling instead of the floor.

Too difficult to say just yet, IMO. If you ask me, the future of the Lightning will still come via the draft. Trying to lure big-name free agents isn't going to help very much, IMO.

I think so...although I wonder how long the captain will stay there. I live in Michigan, long time Wings fan, and the press out of Detroit think this is a temp job. Basically that when the time comes for Ken Holland to step down as GM, all Yzerman has to do is ask, and the job is his. Tampa Bay is merely a warm-up, because Yzerman is the heir apparent to Holland.

That's true but Ken Holland is only 54 years old and shows no sign of retiring anytime soon. That's probably the biggest reason Yzerman left. He could wait 10 years and become the Wings GM or he could go out and get basically any job he wants. If he fails he always has a spot in the Red Wings organization. If he succeeds then he helped turn around a struggling franchise.

Kenny Holland has one of the best core's in the entire league, and like Big Sexy noted, at 53 he won't be retiring anytime soon – not for a decade, at least.

Stevie Y getting the gig in Tampa may not seem "right" in a sense that he's not working for the Wings, but better to have the job to prove your worth elsewhere than to wait around hoping for Holland to fail so much so to the point that you can take his job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back