• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sporting Legends.

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Every major sport has a number of legendary stars, that are instantly recogniseable when their certain sport is mentioned. So, really, who are real sporting legends, and why? What was it about that certain individual that made/make them so great at what they did?

I'll start by mentioning one of greatest racing drivers to of ever lived. He just so happens to be my idol, my all time favourite sportsman and I highly doubt I'll be as bigger fan of any other Formula 1 driver like I am to this man.

Michael Schumacher.

125444098a1522975950b783062294l.jpg

He is, in terms of World Championship & Grand Prix victories, far and away the best in history. He's a 7 time Formula 1 World Champion, winning 91 Grand Prix's, with 68 pole positions, with the record total of 1,369 world championship points through-out a career lasting 15 years. And those are just a very small selection of the records Schumacher acchieved.

But the thing that makes him a legend, is that he was just so damn fast and so damn talented. In terms of pure racing skill and ability, he is one of the, if not the greatest racing driver that has ever lived and will ever live. He has been able to get the best results out of a car that wasen't that good. He was the first and only German to win the Formula 1 world championship. He basically made Formula 1 one of the most popular sports in Germany, just by him. Of course, he has had some questionable moments, none more so than the 1994 Australian Grand Prix, where he and title rival Damon Hill had their 'coming together' which won Schumacher his first world championship. And you can question whether Schumacher would of been as good as he was if Ayrton Senna had not died. And many say that he only became as successful as he was because he was in the best car. Still, it dosen't take away from his legacy.

The man is one of a kind. In my opinion his record number of Grand Prix victories, 91, will never, ever be beaten. He was charasmatic, friendly, popular as hell and, most of all, a fucking genius behind the wheel of a racing car.

You've finished the thread with your own post. No one is a bigger legend in the sporting world than Michael Schumacher. You either loved him or hated him, I was in the hate camp (i was a naive youngster), but everyone respected him.

Apart from Schumacher? You have to go with the greatest. Muhammed Ali. He transcended boxing into the media frenzy sport it is today. The man oozed charisma and he knew how to get the public interested in his bouts and he knew how to get inside his opponents head.

Also he was involved in spectacular heavyweight matches, something that hasn't been seen for years in todays heavyweight scene. He was an agile big hitter. "Floated like a butterfly, stung like a bee."

The bout with George Foreman, the Rumble in the Jungle, is possibly the most famous boxing match of all time. Ali was very much the underdog, and out thought Foreman. He leaned on the ropes for seven rounds, taking Foreman's blows, before knocking him out in the eighth.

Ali was controversial, Ali was spectacular and best of all Ali was talented.

You guys have some good picks but I'm gonna go with golf. any guesses?

Tiger Woods

He is probably the biggest name golfer of all time. He was the highest paid professional athlete of 2008 and is currently the world's number 1 golfer. He has won 14 professional major golf championships and is the youngest player to ever achieve the career Grand Slam. He has been awarded the PGA player of the year 9 times. He is also a huge draw for Nike in advertisement and the first golfer of African American decent to win the masters.

I would have to have to go with "The Greatest" Muhammed Ali he transcended the sport of boxing like nobody else ever will. He set the heavyweight division alight with his unbelievable charisma and the uncanny ability to mentally unhinge his opponents before the fight.

He was witty and stood for what he believed in although it led to him being banned he still stood up for what he thought was right. He went against the way your average heavyweight should fight as a dull slugger,he moved like a welterweight with incredible hand and foot speed. He may not have been the best boxer of all time but certainly one of the best sportsmen ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back