• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sporting Finals

The Todd

Championship Contender
There is something I have always wondered about American sporting finals, namely NBA, NHL and, erm, the baseball one.

To us Europeans, finals are huge, one off games that everyone looks forward to. The FA Cup Final used to be the most looked forward to game in the whole season, though now it seems to be the Champions League final. In every sport there is a one off game to decide the winner.

This is also true in the Superbowl, possibly the most watched sporting event in the world (I'd have to research it to be sure, though I'm sure football's World Cup final is up there) and it is a one off final.

For the three afore mentioned sports, there is a series where the first team to win four games wins the series. To me this would take away from the appeal of the final, as the first game, and possibly the first six, doesn't decide where the trophy goes. Unless it was 3-3 with one to play, there wouldn't be as much tension and excitement in my view.

However, I would like to know if these series are preferred by the Americans? What is the appeal behind these multi game finals? Would you prefer a one off game? Please enlighten me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back