Spawn's Controversial Fact of The Day 9-7-08

Afro-Ameri-Spawn

Houston's Hometown Hero
Why? Because ignorance is bliss. Here's another interesting quip that I will end up having to explain to the ignorant masses.

John Cena has a higher "quality" legacy than .... Bret "The Hitman" Hart. Very Strong Opinion.

Okay kids, go for it.

I agree on this one. As long as John Cena doesn't end up tarnishing it like Bret did by playing the whiny bitch card after SS than this is true.

But Bret is ten times superior the worker than John Cena.

Never said he wasn't a better worker. But you have you remember tha Bret's formative singles push years came against guys like Steve Lombardi, Iron Mike Sharp, The Duke of Dorchester, and Barry Harowitz (to name a few) in multiple meetings. These were paid jobbers who jobbed week in and week out for their earnings and to pad the won/loss records of wrestlers getting pushed. Cena came along when that era was becoming a thing of the past. His wins were against legitimate singles wrestlers who you could easily see holding a singles title. I highly doubt that anybody can picture Sharp holding the IC title... EVER!

Depends if WWE has a boom period while Cena is a main event wrestler. It's one of the only things that Bret Hart wasn't.

You can't really havea legacy until it is all said and done. Bret is done with the business and has his legacy. John Cena will have his legacy when he goes away. I am thinking Cena will have a great legacy, especially in WWE's books. But I thought Benoit would have had a great legacy too.

If John Cena left right now his legacy would be better than Bret's. We all agree that Bret Hart was a far superior worker, but WWE will write the legacy. Bret bailed on WWE, and Bret screwed Bret. That is his legacy because Vince said so. Cena is the posterboy for Vince's pretty man fetish, and will be rewarded thustly.

Cena better in the ring than Bret? Is that what you're saying?
I'm saying it's possible.

I mean, Cena is only 31 right now. If you compare Cena at 31 to Hart at 31 (1988), I think you'd see that Cena has delivered FAR better matches on a more consistent basis.

At their age, Cena is better then Hart, but there is still much for Cena to do. Who knows, he might go the route of Ahmed and never be seen again.

And he's getting loads more tv time and isn't primarily a tag wrestler. Bret had no where near the pressure on him that Cena does. He's responding well to it, but I don't think he's close to being what Bret was.

but I don't think he's close to being what Bret was.
How not?

He's already every bit the draw that Hart was, and puts on a good to great PPV match every month. He has put over several guys (I don't mean lost to, I mean put over), and is still a huge figure in the WWE.

How is he not at least close?

Cena puts people over, yes. But Cena's arsenal is more limited than Bret's. To say he has 5 moves like so many people do is ridiculous, but Bret was a much different style of worker. Bret's style was never designed to be the major draw like Cena is. Bret put on a good to great match almost every time he was in the ring. Cena puts on good matches, but I've seen very, very few great matches out of him. What does Cena still being a big figure have to do with this?

Cena puts people over, yes. But Cena's arsenal is more limited than Bret's.
So? Since when did number of moves have to do with quality of match?

I mean, do you really think John Cena doesn't know how to do a Boston Crab or a Sharpshooter? Hell, I know how to. Number of moves means dick.

To say he has 5 moves like so many people do is ridiculous, but Bret was a much different style of worker.
Yes, his character was one of a technical wrestler, even if his matches weren't all that technical.

That doesn't change the fact that at any point in Bret's career, you'll be hard pressed to find a year like Cena had in 2007.

Bret's style was never designed to be the major draw like Cena is.
That makes zero sense. Characters aren't given to not draw.

Bret put on a good to great match almost every time he was in the ring. Cena puts on good matches, but I've seen very, very few great matches out of him.
Please list me all of the "great" Hart matches, and I bet I can find an equal Cena match.

What does Cena still being a big figure have to do with this?
Considering this is professional wrestling, I'd say just about everything.

It doesn't mean dick. It means that a wrestler can do more than a few things. Yes Cena can do more, but I'm assuming he's been instructed not to. This to me makes him boring in the ring more often than not.

It does make sense. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena etc. All of them are designed to get the crowd going with the style they worked. Bret's style was, as his nickname suggested, based on near perfection. His matches were based more on athleticism, not displays of strength or flashiness.

No it means next to nothing. Cena is still an active wrestler. Had Bret never left and/or gotten hurt, he could still be around today. Cena being around 6 years after he debuted means nothing.

As for the list of Bret classics.

Bret vs. Owen- SS 94
Hart Foundation vs. Demolition- SS 90
vs. Perfect, 1989 house show (on Perfect's new dvd)
vs. Piper- WM 8
vs. Bulldog- SS 92
Bret and Owen vs. Steiners- I believe from Superstars in 1994
Hart Foundation vs. Brainbusters-SS 89
I Quit vs Austin- WM 13
vs. Austin-Survivor Series 96
vs. Benoit- Owen tribute match-Nitro
vs. Savage- snme late 80s
vs. Owen- WM 10

I had no idea Cena was 31. Anyway, I agree with KB. I always loved Bret matches. His match with Perfect, with Austin, and the Iron Man Match I would put above any Cena match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back