• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

South Park: TSOT

The Butcher

📶
Anybody else playing this? I picked it up on my way home yesterday, and tonight I've really sunken my teeth into it. Great game for fans of the series, and a swan song perhaps for the turn-based RPG. The references come early and often, so the more South Park you've seen the more chuckles you'll get. It completely captures the show and feels like an interactive episode. Fans of the show should pick it up for sure.

Anybody else playing this? I picked it up on my way home yesterday, and tonight I've really sunken my teeth into it. Great game for fans of the series, and a swan song perhaps for the turn-based RPG. The references come early and often, so the more South Park you've seen the more chuckles you'll get. It completely captures the show and feels like an interactive episode. Fans of the show should pick it up for sure.

That is for sure on my list of games to buy. Everything I have seen of it, I like. Classic stuff indeed.

Also, high five on the new sig. The Maxx was awesome.

I have never, in my life, been more disappointed with a video game than I was with the South Park game for Nintendo 64 back in the late 90's. Every South Park game I played after that was total shit as well.

Figures when I don't game anymore that they release something that looks this awesome. I KNEW South Park had it in them to be an incredible game; it's just a shame it had to happen now instead of when I was a teenager.

The only South Park game I enjoyed a decade ago was South Park Rally, which was basically their version of Mario Kart. It was a mess but I enjoyed it, aside from times when the cartridge failed and I had to unlock the other racers again.

I'm definitely going to pick up this game because it does look really awesome. Bit of a shame that Europe and Australia had censorship (by Ubisoft) applied to specific moments, but it's nice how they applied by leaving it to the gamer's imagination, which could be worse! Still looks great though.

so better than this

Much. Like, lightyears. You still throw stuff sometimes, though. Thankfully, that's where the similarities end.

They had a video of the first 13 minutes of gameplay. Fucking hysterical. Will be copping soon.

It keeps up that momentum, too. The Stick of Truth is hands down one of the funniest games I've ever played.

That is for sure on my list of games to buy. Everything I have seen of it, I like. Classic stuff indeed.

Also, high five on the new sig. The Maxx was awesome.

You'd think that with comic book-based movies owning Hollywood right now The Maxx and The Tick would be getting adaptations. I guess Ant Man just can't wait, though.

I have never, in my life, been more disappointed with a video game than I was with the South Park game for Nintendo 64 back in the late 90's. Every South Park game I played after that was total shit as well.

Figures when I don't game anymore that they release something that looks this awesome. I KNEW South Park had it in them to be an incredible game; it's just a shame it had to happen now instead of when I was a teenager.

The only South Park game I enjoyed a decade ago was South Park Rally, which was basically their version of Mario Kart. It was a mess but I enjoyed it, aside from times when the cartridge failed and I had to unlock the other racers again.

I'm definitely going to pick up this game because it does look really awesome. Bit of a shame that Europe and Australia had censorship (by Ubisoft) applied to specific moments, but it's nice how they applied by leaving it to the gamer's imagination, which could be worse! Still looks great though.

The less said about the original South Park FPS the better. I had fun with Chef's Luv Shack, but that was mainly because it was fun with my friends. In hindsight, even as party games go, it was pretty shit. I pretty much gave up on South Park games during that era. The Scott Tenorman game for Xbox Live Arcade was okay, but The Stick of Truth blows them out of the water.

I hope the cuts don't hurt the game too much. There is some hilariously raunchy stuff in this game. There is plenty of smarter humor, too, though. The series trademark satire is there, so there's a lot of laughs to be had the more games you've played. A simple, non-spoilery example is that your character strikes Link's "holding item overhead" pose when he acquires a significant item. There are a lot of references spoofing other game and fantasy sources; I'm sure a number have flown over my head.

Definitely the South Park game we've been waiting for. It does for the South Park franchise what Arkham Asylum did for Batman in being the game that finally put the license to good use.

I don't agree. South Park uses a lot of foul language and controversial material. I wish they would tone it down to a PG version, where they don't cuss and Kenny doesn't die. Also each episode should feature a segment with Wendy and the other girls. That would make the product better.

I don't agree. South Park uses a lot of foul language and controversial material. I wish they would tone it down to a PG version, where they don't cuss and Kenny doesn't die. Also each episode should feature a segment with Wendy and the other girls. That would make the product better.

You mean South Park should stop doing the things that made it famous in the late 90s, when its ratings and popularity were through the roof? That's ludicrous. No television show in its right mind would pull a 180 on its fans like that and leave long-term viewers wishing for the good old days.

You mean South Park should stop doing the things that made it famous in the late 90s, when its ratings and popularity were through the roof? That's ludicrous. No television show in its right mind would pull a 180 on its fans like that and leave long-term viewers wishing for the good old days.

I think it would be best for business. It just doesn't need foul language. We don't need to see blood in the episodes. They should have more meaningless monologues and focus more on commercials and merchandise.

Well this piece of merchandise is worth it.

The gameplay is great. If you've ever played the original The Legend of Zelda or one of the Gameboy sequels, exploration is like that. The city of South Park is laid out in an intelligent way and all of the significant landmarks are present.

Combat is like Final Fantasy VI or any other turn-based RPG. You run into enemies on the map, a battle scene loads, and you and the enemy take turns entering attacks or commands. Attacking, defending, and using magic and special skills require various timed button presses, analog stick commands, and button mashing to maximize the effect. Smart way to keep the player engaged during fights rather than just having you enter commands and watch. You're joined by one buddy (who can be swapped out on the fly) who you control. The main cast of boys are the buddies, and you unlock each one as the game goes along. Each one has unique strengths and abilities (e.g. Kenny doesn't stay dead) that are handy in different situations or against specific enemies.

Your buddy follows you on the map screen as well, and occasionally makes funny quips or references to instances from the show. There are a lot of destructible objects and hidden collectibles all around, and it takes different skills and/or buddies to reach them all. You can talk to the people of South Park, and some will become your friend on Facebook. Facebook is your pause menu where you can see your status, items, skills, the map, etc. Its main screen is a wall where your buddies and friends from town post funny messages.

The leisurely pace and controls are great for sitting back on the couch. You can explore all you want or go from mission to mission. There are side quests, too, of course. The game certainly feels long, unless I'm just dawdling too much. I can't stress enough how much this is like playing the show. Don't let my comparisons to Final Fantasy or Zelda give you pause; the style of play and the source material are a perfect match. It should please all camps. RPG fans who don't watch the show will still enjoy the throwback gameplay, and fans of the show who aren't hardcore gamers can turn the difficulty down a notch and enjoy an extended episode.

I think it would be best for business. It just doesn't need foul language. We don't need to see blood in the episodes. They should have more meaningless monologues and focus more on commercials and merchandise.

Well this is just a terrible idea.

Well this is just a terrible idea.

Then why did WWE do this to me????? :(

The game sounds nice. I really want to play it. I wish I had the attention span for games. I bought GTA V and never played past the 5th mission. I bought Borderlands 2 and played it twice. I bought an Xbox One and haven't touched it in months aside from dust cleaning.

I can't say I'm overly impressed. It's good, but definitely not amazing.

It's not a terribly well made game, and it's littered with poor design, so the extent to which a person enjoys is going to hinge on how much they like South Park. I quite like South Park, so I quite enjoy this game.

From a game play perspective it's pretty poor to be honest. If the game wasn't associated with a major licence and was instead a faceless JRPG it would have been crucified for it's clunky, unintuitive menus, poor controls, bugs and intolerable support cast who repeat the same quips over and over again ad-infinitum, frequently over the top of important dialogue. It's also easy as fuck even on hardcore difficulty and offers negligible replay value.

It's easy to forgive a lot of that on the grounds that the game is funny, although a significant portion of the humor is referential in nature. The cut-scenes are frequently hilarious, but a lot of the rest of the comedy is in the nature of "hey, remember this thing from the show that was funny? Here it is again devoid of context. Laugh."

I'm still playing it and still having fun, but it loses out to ten year old Paper Mario in almost every category.

I'm enjoying it mainly for eastereggs over anything.

Normally I hate turn based combat, especially after playing Phantasy Star Online on the Sega Dreamcast, but I bought this last week after watching videos on YouTube, and am saving it till my birthday next month (along with Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures, which I bought for the allegedly piece of piss achievements)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back