Soundtracks That Are Better Than The Film/TV Show Itself

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
Been a little while since I posted in the Music section, a little too long it would seem. Anyway, thought I'd start this thread as it just popped into my head whilst flicking throw wikipedia. It's a thread all about, that's right, you guessed it, soundtracks that are better than the film or TV show they come from. Here's my choice:

Cover_watchmen_soundtrack.jpg

I thought Watchmen was okay at best. It looked pretty and was edited fairly well, but it was, in the end, your standard Zack Synder fair; all style, very little substance. It looked good but didn't exactly come across as such. When I watched it, the person I was viewing it with commented on how good the soundtrack was. I paid very little attention, until two days ago when I searched for Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence. One of the results was a Watchmen soundtrack listing and I noted it. Today I had a look and sure enough, that person was right, the soundtrack is pretty damn sweet. It contains Sound of Silence sure enough, but also Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Nat Cole King, Leonard Cohen and even Ride of the Valkyries. It's a kick-ass soundtrack to be frank.

Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy and Tron Legacy, with a sprinkling of Tron Legacy.

The soundtrack for that film was so far above the actual film that it initially put me under the impression that the movie was average, when it was actually soundly mediocre. The movie was dull, lifeless and, aside from a Michael Sheen performance that was the only thing in the film not entirely bog standard at best, completely lacking any sort of soul. The soundtrack? Well, it was Daft Punk. You know what you're getting with Daft Punk. They're like The Rock - the same phrases are going to get said over and over, yet it's still oddly enthralling.

Think of Daft Punk as the defibrillator and Tron Legacy as a corpse that's been dead for a few days. That can be the best defibrillator in the world, but that corpse still ain't kicking into life, is it?

I'd have to say this

51BoUbnzuEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now The Crow is a great film (one of my favourites) but the soundtrack made that film, it just gelled so well with what was happening. If the songs were in anyway different I don't think the film would be as good as it was.

Songs like The Cure's Burn, Nine Inch Nails cover of Joy Division's Dead Souls and the last song It Can't Rain All The Time by Jane Siberry make all the scenes in the film have more weight.

ScorpionKing.jpg

THE SCORPION KING SOUNDTRACK

The movie itself had some impressive action scenes and The Rock, but never quite reached the same level of awesome that its soundtrack did. The first track (and the best one) is Godsmack's "I Stand Alone". The reason I bought the album in the first place way back in 2002. "To Whom It May Concern" by Creed and "Only the Strong" by Flaw are both also worth a listen to anyone who might not have heard them yet. The entire track listing is good. I recommend this soundtrack to anyone who likes rock music because if you have not listed to any of these songs yet then you are truly missing out on some great music. It has remained a staple in my music playlists for almost a decade now.

GODZILLA

File:Godzilla_OST.jpg

1."Heroes" - The Wallflowers
2."Come with Me" - Puff Daddy featuring Jimmy Page
3."Deeper Underground" - Jamiroquai
4."No Shelter" - Rage Against the Machine
5."Air" - Ben Folds Five
6."Running Knees" - Days of the New
7."Macy Day Parade" - Michael Penn
8."Walk the Sky" - Fuel
9."A320" - Foo Fighters
10."Brain Stew" (The Godzilla Remix) - Green Day
11."Untitled" - Silverchair
12."Out There" - Fuzzbubble
13."Undercover" - Joey DeLuxe
14."Opening Titles" - David Arnold
15."Looking for Clues" - David Arnold

While not one of the best film soundtracks ever, it still far outdoes the film for quality.

There are some really good tracks on here, such as the remix version of Green Day's "Brain Stew" which remains one of my favourite songs by them, Jamiroquai's awesome "Deeper Underground", and I am even a big fan of "Come With Me" by P Diddy, which is a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". I think Diddy's version works very well.

Other songs by great bands such as Silverchair, Rage Against The Machine and Foo Fighters are all solid without being fantastic and the songs "Out There" by Fuzzbubble and "Walk The Sky" by Fuel, are kinda generic rock songs but were always ones I enjoyed listening to.

Overall, there are not too many poor songs at all on this CD, I remember soming buying it for me as a kid but the CD vanished over the years. However, I saw it at a car boot sale for 50p a few weeks ago so I thought I would give it another listen.

[YOUTUBE]WIUAC03YMlA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MvA26p6wMYc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mDmu4aBiKiE[/YOUTUBE]

Been a little while since I posted in the Music section, a little too long it would seem. Anyway, thought I'd start this thread as it just popped into my head whilst flicking throw wikipedia. It's a thread all about, that's right, you guessed it, soundtracks that are better than the film or TV show they come from. Here's my choice:

Cover_watchmen_soundtrack.jpg

I thought Watchmen was okay at best. It looked pretty and was edited fairly well, but it was, in the end, your standard Zack Synder fair; all style, very little substance. It looked good but didn't exactly come across as such. When I watched it, the person I was viewing it with commented on how good the soundtrack was. I paid very little attention, until two days ago when I searched for Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence. One of the results was a Watchmen soundtrack listing and I noted it. Today I had a look and sure enough, that person was right, the soundtrack is pretty damn sweet. It contains Sound of Silence sure enough, but also Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Nat Cole King, Leonard Cohen and even Ride of the Valkyries. It's a kick-ass soundtrack to be frank.

Dunno if you know this, but all the songs included are actually referenced by Alan Moore in the original graphic novel, either the song titles or lyrics from the songs acting as chapter titles. Zack Snyder had quite an easy gig with the film, as the blueprint IS the graphic novel and so all Snyder had to do was breathe life into it. Some parts are barely more than comatose but for the most part I think he did it justice.

For me it'd be Garden State. Still like the film but I have to be in the right mood to watch it, but I can easily put on just about any song from the soundtrack at any time and be satisfied with that I'm listening to. (Except Coldplay)

"Don't Panic" - Coldplay — 2:16
"Caring Is Creepy" - The Shins — 3:20
"In the Waiting Line" - Zero 7 — 4:33
"New Slang" - The Shins — 3:51
"I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" - Colin Hay — 5:18
"Blue Eyes" - Cary Brothers — 4:18
"Fair" - Remy Zero — 3:54
"One of These Things First" - Nick Drake — 4:49
"Lebanese Blonde" - Thievery Corporation — 4:46
"The Only Living Boy in New York" - Simon & Garfunkel — 3:59
"Such Great Heights" (Postal Service cover) - Iron & Wine — 4:12
"Let Go" - Frou Frou — 4:12
"Winding Road" - Bonnie Somerville — 3:27

Tron Legacy, Tron Legacy and Tron Legacy, with a sprinkling of Tron Legacy.

The soundtrack for that film was so far above the actual film that it initially put me under the impression that the movie was average, when it was actually soundly mediocre. The movie was dull, lifeless and, aside from a Michael Sheen performance that was the only thing in the film not entirely bog standard at best, completely lacking any sort of soul. The soundtrack? Well, it was Daft Punk. You know what you're getting with Daft Punk. They're like The Rock - the same phrases are going to get said over and over, yet it's still oddly enthralling.

Think of Daft Punk as the defibrillator and Tron Legacy as a corpse that's been dead for a few days. That can be the best defibrillator in the world, but that corpse still ain't kicking into life, is it?

Oh god yes, Tron Legacy would be my answer also. It was an okay,cle scene... cool visuals, an awesome motorcycle scene, and that's basically it.

But the music, oh god the music, Daft Punk was fantastic. A great OST, even if you think Daft Punk didn't do much different then they usually do, it was overall a badass and entertaining soundtrack-The movie was kind of like Avatar, cool visuals, mediocre everywhere else

Since Naitch and Alex beat me to my two favorite, those being The Crow and Godzilla, I'll go with an obscure choice. One out of my dad's collection that actually got me into the type of music I listen to.

Last Action Hero

1."Big Gun" - (AC/DC) – 4:24
2."What the Hell Have I" - (Alice in Chains) – 3:58
3."Angry Again" - (Megadeth) – 3:47
4."Real World" - (Michael Kamen and Queensrÿche) – 4:21
5."Two Steps Behind" - (Def Leppard) – 4:19
6."Poison My Eyes" - (Anthrax) – 7:04
7."Dream On" [Live] - (Aerosmith) – 5:42
8."A Little Bitter" - (Alice in Chains) – 3:53
9."Cock the Hammer" - (Cypress Hill) – 4:11
10."Swim" - (Fishbone) – 4:13
11."Last Action Hero" - (Tesla) – 5:44
12."Jack and the Ripper" - (Michael Kamen & Buckethead) – 3:43

All really solid tunes front to back. Can't go wrong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back