Sony Pictures Cancels The Interview's Release

nightmare

...7, 8, Better stay up late...
As major movie chains moved to pull "The Interview" from their holiday lineups after threats from the Sony Corp. hackers, Sony has decided to shelve the film.

"In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film 'The Interview,' we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release," the company said in a statement. "We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers."

The company added that it stands by the filmmakers and "their right to free expression."

"Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film," a Sony spokesperson said when asked about a digital or VOD release.

The decision by Sony came after all the biggest chains including AMC and Regal announced Wednesday they wouldn't show the film. On Tuesday, Sony Corp. hackers warned of an impending attack on theaters that showed the film, which depicts the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

"Due to the wavering support of the film 'The Interview' by Sony Pictures, as well as the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats, Regal Entertainment Group has decided to delay the opening of the film in our theatres," Regal, which has nearly 600 theaters in 44 states, said in a statement today.

AMC followed suit, also stating the chain's holiday lineup would move forward "without 'The Interview.'"

Earlier, the Bow Tie chain released a statement pulling the film, saying the company is "saddened and angered by recent threats of terrorism" and that its mission is "to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests and employees." Cineplex Entertainment, which has 162 theaters, also said today that it will “postpone” showing of the film.

The comedy-horror film was set for a Dec. 25 release.

The moves came shortly after Sony told theaters they do not have to show "The Interview," after the group claiming responsibility for stealing troves of Sony executives' emails posted a message on Pastebin apparently threatening attacks on the theaters where the movie will be played, sources said.

Actors James Franco and Seth Rogen also canceled all press appearances in light of the threats, a representative for Rogen said.

The Department of Homeland Security said the threat is not backed up by any "credible intelligence," but sources told ABC News that the Sony hack and matters tied to it are being investigated not just as a criminal cyber matter but as a national security matter by the nation's law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

A prime suspect is the North Korean regime, and sources say this hack has shown an unprecedented capacity and ability to directly harm a major corporation.

Last week, the FBI held a private meeting in New York with reps from across the entertainment industry to brief them on cyber-related threats against them. The Sony hack was not the only topic discussed, but it was a major one, sources said.

"Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like," Sony said in its statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/sony-pulls-plug-dec-25-release-interview/story?id=27675761

Big surprise there, right? You mean the stoic people of N. Korea think that the latest comedy from Rogen\Franco is 'Un'-funny? What a shock.

If you don't know, recently Sony was hacked by a group quite possibly linked to the government of N. Korea. They released personal info after the hack & coupled it with threats of terrorism in recourse of Sony going forth with releasing 'The Interview', a comedy regarding the plot to kill the leader of N. Korea. A comedy that tackles the same action that movie studios have repeated in tons of other movies throughout the years. How many times has a movie featured a plot to kill leaders, presidents & dignitaries yet never been met with threats of this nature? Is this just because N. Korea is a hot button the last few years & things are unknown with how quick to act they actually are?

Now the studio has cancelled all forms of releasing the movie, including VOD & DVD. Here are some quotes from Bill Mahr & Patton Oswalt on the subject.

#TheInterview Is that all it takes - an anonymous threat and the numbers 911 - to throw free expression under the bus? #PussyNation
- Bill Maher

All joking aside, we just gave a comfy foothold to censorship & it doesn't get any better from this point on. #TheInterview
-Patton Oswalt

So is Sony right in freezing the release, or has this just given more power to those that choose to make threats of this nature? I dont want to see anyone get hurt just for the sake of comedy, but this could lead to bigger issues down the road regarding censorship & free speech not only in America, but other parts of the world as well.

First things first; Sony didn't freeze the release.

Sony offered theatres the option to not display the film after implicit threats to blow up cinemas were received - the major movie theatres universally took up this offer, as I would have as well. If somebody calls in a bomb threat then you evacuate your building no matter how credible the threat appears, and if somebody threatens to explode your cinema if you show a certain movie then you don't show that movie until the person issuing the threat is in custody.

What separates this incidence from hundreds of previous happenings is that we are dealing with cyber, rather than domestic, terrorism. If it was a bunch of whackjobs threatening to suicide bomb theatres then we could find them and lock them up, but because of the internet's rigidly enforced anonymity then there is little to nothing that can be done to make this kind of threat go away.

The internet has moved the goal posts when it comes to crime, and in our current technological environment there is little to nothing that government or law enforcement can do about it.

Once upon a time, if you wanted to steal a movie, you had to physically enter a retailer, locate the disc and smuggle it out of the shop. Now you just log onto Pirate Bay and wait twenty minutes. If you wanted to harass your ex girlfriend you had to follow her in person or make easily traceable phone calls. Now you install Tor and anonymously message her a rape video. And of course, if you wanted to threaten the lives of 20,000,000 moviegoers you had to stand on a box in Time Square, and then spend a few months in a mental hospital - now you can do it with the push of a button.

The internet is an amazing thing; but it has also made criminality easier in a thousand little ways - and the only way we go about addressing this problem is a concerted global effort to make sure that law enforcement, as was as the general population, recognises cyber criminal activity as criminal activity. When Anonymous fuck with the Bank of America that is illegal cyber terrorism, and it doesn't stop being terrorism just because you (and I) agree with their point.

Law enforcement need to be equipped to combat cybercrime, and the only way I can see this happening is with an enormous financial investment. A police officer for standard crime needs a high school diploma, not a whole lot else, and you can pay them comparatively little because nobody else wants them. A police office for cyber crime probably requires an MA is computer science or similar, and will have lucrative offers from the private sector. Right now law enforcement everywhere in the world is massively outgunned by the CWC (***** with computers) demographic, and unless tag payers are made to start to pony up then I can't see this changing.

Now I've gone for many words without mentioning Sony or North Korea. My assessment of the present situation? a) Well done Sony, and b) Get used to it.

The previous ramble was my way of illustration that we, as a culture, are completely unequipped to combat cyber terrorism, and since it demonstrably works this will not be the last incidence we see.

Sony get nothing but credit from me. Not only is permitting the cinemas to freeze the film going to cost them something in the range of $100,000,000, but they'll also have to weather the bad PR from idiots who blame them for not calling the bluff of their attackers. Five points to the evil corporate overlords from me.

People will trot out the old stock phrase that when you give in to terrorism you encourage more terrorism, which is true. But there is no reason not to give in the terrorism unless your equipped to fight it, which in this incidence we are not.

Im unsure if people quite understand the magnitude of the extent that Korea does not fuck around. It's an entirely controlled state from a media and print standpoint, to the point were its almost a tourist attraction to see the control and government involvement. I am surprised that the threat didn't come directly from Korea's government itself.

Stupid/uneducated idea to even throw this film out there. Not to mention, I am unsurprised that no one feels like yet another Rogen/Franco fart and dick joke movie is worth the trouble. I find it funny that so many in Hollywood are jumping on social media to express disgust with Sony over this, "ZOMG YOU LET THE BAD GUYS WIN, SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU" when they would not have a single drop of blood or brain matter on their hands if something DID happen. Very easy to talk shit when none of the possible reprecussions could touch you.

I understand not doing it. If someone bombed a theatre for showing it that would be on Sony and people would say that they shouldn't have released it.

On the other hand this reminds me of Charlie Chaplin and The Great Dictator. I mean Charlie Chaplin essentially was taking the piss out of Hitler. I know that came out in 1940 but it's essentially the same premise of an American film taking the piss out of a dictator. Chaplin had the balls to go through with it and you can argue and make point for Rogen and Franco.

As Gelgarin pointed out though it easier to be anonymous with the internet that it was in 1940 so the threat of danger is a lot higher than it was then and as Gelgarin pointed out we need better law enforcement when it comes to the internet.

At the end of the day Sony don't want the possible deaths of anyone going to see a movie on their hands so this was probably the best result.

Your points on police being unequipped to handle this type of terrorist threats is spot on Gelgarin. The majority of police\detectives have no idea how to combat these people & rely on a few select others for their knowledge. Locating these certain individuals is going to be up to the government agencies who employ people more capable of locating the ones responsible for the threats.

I do agree that the theaters choosing not to play this film in the wake of threats is a good idea, of course just to err on the side of caution. Even one life lost over this would be too many. Gauging the validity on if the threats would be carried out is 50\50 & not worth the risk. We know how quick to arms people can be & clearly the attackers are unhappy about the film, but if they feel disrespected further, who knows how far they are willing to go in making their point. It is well known that N. Korea is a different animal & are very unpredictable. Whether or not it was directly linked to their government is yet to be determined. Regardless, they are displeased & pushing this particular issue just for a comedy film could cause a serious conflict.

This is not the first time cyber threats have been made, (and surely not the last) but it seems to be getting more attention than most other times- likely due in part to who is involved.

Now, while the theater chains did make the call on not showing it publicly -Sony has made the call to freeze distribution in any form. That includes DVD & VOD. This may change in the future, but as for now, Sony has decided to lock this one away in the vault. That choice is what has brought up the discussion of censorship through terror & the questions on what the future holds for these type of threats towards media companies. Does it open the door so wide that people's work (artists, film makers, etc) gets shelved as soon as a tech savvy group yells 'Boo!'? Does it force the authorities to employ better tactics to combat this form of threat so that the work can be distributed freely to those who wish to enjoy it?

Free speech is a double edged sword at times. We want to defend that right, but sometimes that same right causes a blowback. There has to be a balance found here with safety vs censorship. I really dont think it is going to get so out of hand that many more things will be censored, denied release, etc- but I do think this is going to make an impact. I just wonder how many smaller groups will start to employ this type of threat regarding movies & how it will be handled in the future.

You know what I find hilarious? That if North Korea put out a movie about assassinating the president of the United States, the majority of Americans would go absolutely ape shit and probably do the exact same thing. But since it's the "big bad North Koreans", we'll blame communist rule, paranoia, "stoicism", and any other thing that does not fit into our bubble. Now I'm Canadian, and if a rival country DID happen to put out a movie, whether it be comedy or not, about their people trying to murder the president, than I don't think I'd be very happy either... It's just not a smart thing to do at all; Why tread in that water?

In regards to Sony and multiple theaters pulling the movie, I think it was ultimately the best call. Call it, " giving in to terrorists" if you want, but I don't think it's worth the risk to put out a stupid, probably unfunny movie if there is ANY threat of an attack on American soil. It just shows how ignorant some Americans can be and I'm not saying all or most... but some are very uneducated and should probably not be commenting on this. Bill friggin Maher for one... smh

The UK put out a movie about the assassination of George Bush in 2006. It was quite high profile, and most people didn't give a shit - certainly nobody responded with terrorist threats.

North Korea is as mentally unstable as it is possible for a nation state to be.

The UK put out a movie about the assassination of George Bush in 2006. It was quite high profile, and most people didn't give a shit - certainly nobody responded with terrorist threats.

North Korea is as mentally unstable as it is possible for a nation state to be.

Oh my goodness, are you seriously comparing the relationship between USA and the UK to the relationship between USA and North Korea? The UK putting out a movie about assassinating the president is basically the exact same thing as America putting out their own movie about assassinating the president. Is anybody really worried about an attack from the UK... North Korea is a RIVAL country and has been for nigh on 20 years now. There are heavy tensions between North Korea and America going back many, many years... The UK and USA are very close allies. Also...y'know, the UK has never threatened to attack America.

Why are North Korea unstable? Because they're communist country? They probably think YOU'RE unstable.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You evidently have no idea what you are talking about. The North Koreans are not unstable because they are a communist society, China and Cuba are communist societies.

The North Koreans are unstable because they are subjected to an unpredictable, isolationist, personality cult focused dictatorship that considers concentration camps to be good public policy, is on public record as believing that criminality and sedition are hereditary characteristics and which exercises levels of control over the lives of their citizens unmatched by any government in any country during any period of human history from now all the way back to the stone age.

111 countries in the world have concluded, with almost no disagreement, based on significantly more evidence than either of us will go near in our lives, that the North Korean regime has routinely employed deliberate starvation, forced labour, torture, rape and intentional infanticide against those considered to be political prisoners or the children thereof.

This is a country where accessing any kind of international media, the act of praising another country or listening to fucking K-Pop are enshrined by unconcealed legal precedent as illegal under the umbrella of treason.

This regime, which you are so horrified to see portrayed as a big bad, when not torturing its own citizens routinely and unpredictably invades one of its neighboring countries. The North has made no fewer than 28 military encroachments into South Korea in the past 14 years, including torpedoing Southern naval vessels and firing artillery shells at civilian targets on Yeonpyeong island. They also routinely threaten the world with nuclear weapons - not just by the act of possessing them, but by actually insisting that they are going to use them, policy mirrored by no other nation on Earth. "Nuclear force against nuclear force. North Korean forces are aiming at all targets in the U.S. mainland" was their government's most recent statement on the subject.

The North Korean regime is not considered brutal, unstable or dangerous because it is communist - but rather because it is brutal, unstable and dangerous.

This reminds me of the threats issued years ago, or really issued all the time in Islamic nations over visual depictions of Mohammed. In other words, wrong/bad/stupid ideas allowed to endure because of a threat of violence if opposing voices are given equal footing. The pragmatist in me understands why, but the staunch, hardened idealist says "fuck terrorism, and fuck your oppressive religious state". Fuck wrong ideas, while we're at it.

I won't necessarily fault Sony or the cinemas for yanking this, but it's a bow to terrorism no matter how you cut it up, and that's just... unpalatable.

You evidently have no idea what you are talking about. The North Koreans are not unstable because they are a communist society, China and Cuba are communist societies.

The North Koreans are unstable because they are subjected to an unpredictable, isolationist, personality cult focused dictatorship that considers concentration camps to be good public policy, is on public record as believing that criminality and sedition are hereditary characteristics and which exercises levels of control over the lives of their citizens unmatched by any government in any country during any period of human history from now all the way back to the stone age.

111 countries in the world have concluded, with almost no disagreement, based on significantly more evidence than either of us will go near in our lives, that the North Korean regime has routinely employed deliberate starvation, forced labour, torture, rape and intentional infanticide against those considered to be political prisoners or the children thereof.

This is a country where accessing any kind of international media, the act of praising another country or listening to fucking K-Pop are enshrined by unconcealed legal precedent as illegal under the umbrella of treason.

This regime, which you are so horrified to see portrayed as a big bad, when not torturing its own citizens routinely and unpredictably invades one of its neighboring countries. The North has made no fewer than 28 military encroachments into South Korea in the past 14 years, including torpedoing Southern naval vessels and firing artillery shells at civilian targets on Yeonpyeong island. They also routinely threaten the world with nuclear weapons - not just by the act of possessing them, but by actually insisting that they are going to use them, policy mirrored by no other nation on Earth. "Nuclear force against nuclear force. North Korean forces are aiming at all targets in the U.S. mainland" was their government's most recent statement on the subject.

The North Korean regime is not considered brutal, unstable or dangerous because it is communist - but rather because it is brutal, unstable and dangerous.

When did I ever say that North Korea was not brutal and dangerous? I said they were not "mentally unstable", as you want to put it, solely because of the regime they live in. They quite simply have a much different foreign and domestic policy than America has. More brutal and savage? Yes. One that belongs back in the Medieval Times? Yes. But they're not "mentally unstable" simply because you do not agree with their policies.

You want to know a big reason for the "instability" of North Korea? Look no farther than the almighty USA. Try to follow along. Here's a country, along with the Russians, that occupied another country (Korea) that were basically forced into war by the Japanese (WW2). After the war, the Soviets occupied the North and the Americans the South of Korea, effectively splitting the nation in two in more ways than one. Communists (North) against democrats (South) led to extreme massacres, wars, and violence between the two sides and what did the two superpowers at the time do? They left them in their turmoil, unstable, with no real conclusion in site. Even better, the Americans and Soviets used the Korean War as a proxy war to fight their own battles during the Cold War, which quite obviously, created even more instability. Honestly, it's easy to just look at a country and say, "Yeah they're savage, they're backwards, they're mentally unstable", without looking at the reasons why. The Americans came in, ravaged the entire country, split it in half, and than decided to leave the Koreans to the mess that THEY created. Yet it's the Koreans that are terrible, terrible people for targeting America.

Let's be clear here, I'm not defending North Korea. The regime in North Korea IS brutal and dangerous. There is a dictator who oppresses and harms his own people. But you have to look at the other side, the whole picture if you will, when discussing stuff like this.

Also, funny how you only focused on the teeniest part of my argument and ignore the meat of it. Why don't you comment on how UK-USA relations are the same as USA-North Korean relations, since you obviously think they're so similar. Or comment on how Americans would act if North Korea did indeed put out a similar movie. Of course not, but I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this tiny point.

Lol OHHHYOUDIDNTKNOW, you have zero desire to talk about the matter at hand, you simply just want to find reasons to trash America. Your blind hatred for this country is beyond silly.

Anyway, I see both sides of the argument here regarding Sony/North Korea. We're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists, yeah I get it, but this isn't our gov't or military or police force, it's businesses. And while I also believe North Korea is all talk, if theaters aren't willing to take the risk, then that's their choice. It's not like we're talking about Star Wars here; we're talking about a film that would have made comfortable money but nothing special. Without this controversy hardly anyone would have given a shit about this flick.

But yeah, regardless, it does suck to see one of our businesses get bullied by terrorist tactics from a foriegn country over something so stupid, but what can you do? It's not Sony or the theaters responsibility to take risk with human lives.

I guess this is going to have to get split into sections.

Also, funny how you only focused on the teeniest part of my argument and ignore the meat of it. Why don't you comment on how UK-USA relations are the same as USA-North Korean relations, since you obviously think they're so similar. Or comment on how Americans would act if North Korea did indeed put out a similar movie. Of course not, but I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this tiny point.

Alright, before this goes any further, let me explain how a debate with me works. I view a debate as an opportunity to exchange contrary views about interesting topics, not as some pathetic and childish exercise in point scoring in a futile attempt to "win". As such I feel little need to waste life dissecting a pointless hypothetical that doesn't interest me.

If I wanted to wave my debate penis around I could - I'd just point you towards the legions of anti-America films churned out by Russian cinema that you've never heard of because nobody gives a shit. Maybe Strangers, a movie about Americans terrorising the Middle East, falsely advertised to audiences as being both factual, and outlawed in the US. Obviously it wasn't banned in the US on account of nobody giving a shit, as I stated.

Or I could always point you towards "Anti-USA". A North Korean movie that you've never heard of owing to, wait for it, nobody giving a shit when it was made.

Most Americans can't be persuaded to give a shit when a rival world leader stands up and attacks their country, but you think they'll lose their shit and begin a campaign of cyber terrorism if it's done via the medium of a movie? No comment.

Was that the kind of response you were hoping for? Can I move on to something interesting now?

When did I ever say that North Korea was not brutal and dangerous? I said they were not "mentally unstable", as you want to put it, solely because of the regime they live in.

I suspect that we're actually rather closer on this topic than you've interpreted. Read the quote you're responding to again, you'll notice that I do not call the Koreans "mentally unstable" as you seem to think. I use those words to refer to the nation state - which in a place like North Korea translates to the government. Not the most eloquent phrase I've ever spun possibly, but that's where I think the confusion has arisen from.
The people probably do the best they can, keep their heads down and focus on raising their kids and trying to to get killed - just like everywhere else in the world. The state in contrast is dangerous and unbalanced enough that a comparison to insanity is not remotely out of line.

You want to know a big reason for the "instability" of North Korea? Look no farther than the almighty USA. Try to follow along. Here's a country, along with the Russians, that occupied another country (Korea) that were basically forced into war by the Japanese (WW2). After the war, the Soviets occupied the North and the Americans the South of Korea, effectively splitting the nation in two in more ways than one. Communists (North) against democrats (South) led to extreme massacres, wars, and violence between the two sides and what did the two superpowers at the time do? They left them in their turmoil, unstable, with no real conclusion in site. Even better, the Americans and Soviets used the Korean War as a proxy war to fight their own battles during the Cold War, which quite obviously, created even more instability. Honestly, it's easy to just look at a country and say, "Yeah they're savage, they're backwards, they're mentally unstable", without looking at the reasons why. The Americans came in, ravaged the entire country, split it in half, and than decided to leave the Koreans to the mess that THEY created. Yet it's the Koreans that are terrible, terrible people for targeting America.

I think you might want to check your history a little but. The big bad Americans have at no point in human history occupied or had control over the North. The Korean empire was annexed by the Japanese about 100 years ago. The Japanese ceded the territory post WW2, and the Americans and the Soviets agreed to administer half the country each with the intention of establishing a unified independent Korea soon after. America took the south, which became one of the more prosperous and liberal societies in the region, whilst the Soviets took the north, where they still think gulags are a good idea.

Obviously the cold war happened, so the US passed the responsibility over to the UN, and pretty much fucked off. They withdrew almost all their military personnel from the south and left the country as far to its own devices as anyone was during the Cold War, which seems to be what you are blaming them for? The Korean war was initiated by the Soviet sponsored north of the country, all the US did was repel it and then piss off again. Is your argument that the antics of the North Korean regime are excusable because big bad America didn't allow them to invade to south? Because my pointless conjecture is that, had that happened, we'd still have North Korea, it'd just be a bigger country with a slightly shorter name.

The US are second only to the British in their ability to fuck up the world - but holding them responsible for, or using them as a mitigating excuse to justify, the northern regime's concentration camps and state sponsored child murder is unfair, short sighted and doesn't really hold up to historical scrutiny.

Oh my goodness, are you seriously comparing the relationship between USA and the UK to the relationship between USA and North Korea? The UK putting out a movie about assassinating the president is basically the exact same thing as America putting out their own movie about assassinating the president. Is anybody really worried about an attack from the UK... North Korea is a RIVAL country and has been for nigh on 20 years now. There are heavy tensions between North Korea and America going back many, many years... The UK and USA are very close allies. Also...y'know, the UK has never threatened to attack America.

Why are North Korea unstable? Because they're communist country? They probably think YOU'RE unstable.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about.

They are unstable because they have a complete nutcase running the show. They all have to et the same haircuts as dear leader for petes sake.

They also think that 1950s technology is superior to USA modern tech.

Lol OHHHYOUDIDNTKNOW, you have zero desire to talk about the matter at hand, you simply just want to find reasons to trash America. Your blind hatred for this country is beyond silly.

Dude, you don't know me in the slightest so don't make assumption. I actually don't hate America at all. They are the country that protects MY country and I completely respect that. What's silly is the fact that people defend the country over EVERYTHING else without researching about it. Just because I decide to look at a side other than the American one, does not mean I have "blind hatred" for the country.

I guess this is going to have to get split into sections.

Alright, before this goes any further, let me explain how a debate with me works. I view a debate as an opportunity to exchange contrary views about interesting topics, not as some pathetic and childish exercise in point scoring in a futile attempt to "win". As such I feel little need to waste life dissecting a pointless hypothetical that doesn't interest me.

If I wanted to wave my debate penis around I could - I'd just point you towards the legions of anti-America films churned out by Russian cinema that you've never heard of because nobody gives a shit. Maybe Strangers, a movie about Americans terrorising the Middle East, falsely advertised to audiences as being both factual, and outlawed in the US. Obviously it wasn't banned in the US on account of nobody giving a shit, as I stated.

Or I could always point you towards "Anti-USA". A North Korean movie that you've never heard of owing to, wait for it, nobody giving a shit when it was made.

Most Americans can't be persuaded to give a shit when a rival world leader stands up and attacks their country, but you think they'll lose their shit and begin a campaign of cyber terrorism if it's done via the medium of a movie? No comment.

Was that the kind of response you were hoping for? Can I move on to something interesting now?

I suspect that we're actually rather closer on this topic than you've interpreted. Read the quote you're responding to again, you'll notice that I do not call the Koreans "mentally unstable" as you seem to think. I use those words to refer to the nation state - which in a place like North Korea translates to the government. Not the most eloquent phrase I've ever spun possibly, but that's where I think the confusion has arisen from.
The people probably do the best they can, keep their heads down and focus on raising their kids and trying to to get killed - just like everywhere else in the world. The state in contrast is dangerous and unbalanced enough that a comparison to insanity is not remotely out of line.

I think you might want to check your history a little but. The big bad Americans have at no point in human history occupied or had control over the North. The Korean empire was annexed by the Japanese about 100 years ago. The Japanese ceded the territory post WW2, and the Americans and the Soviets agreed to administer half the country each with the intention of establishing a unified independent Korea soon after. America took the south, which became one of the more prosperous and liberal societies in the region, whilst the Soviets took the north, where they still think gulags are a good idea.

Obviously the cold war happened, so the US passed the responsibility over to the UN, and pretty much fucked off. They withdrew almost all their military personnel from the south and left the country as far to its own devices as anyone was during the Cold War, which seems to be what you are blaming them for? The Korean war was initiated by the Soviet sponsored north of the country, all the US did was repel it and then piss off again. Is your argument that the antics of the North Korean regime are excusable because big bad America didn't allow them to invade to south? Because my pointless conjecture is that, had that happened, we'd still have North Korea, it'd just be a bigger country with a slightly shorter name.

The US are second only to the British in their ability to fuck up the world - but holding them responsible for, or using them as a mitigating excuse to justify, the northern regime's concentration camps and state sponsored child murder is unfair, short sighted and doesn't really hold up to historical scrutiny.

I think we're just having a communication issue here. Almost agreeing to disagree. I respect your points and you make some great ones so I'm just going to say that I can definitely agree with some of the arguments you outlined, and respectfully disagree with some others. There's really no point in going back and forth over the interpretation of past events because they won't change. I'll leave it at that.

Sorry for highjacking this thread! Was not my intention.

Sony did the right thing. Their business put lives at risk over a silly stoner movie. Someone earlier made a Charlie Chaplin reference where he made fun of Hitler. So did Daffy Duck if anyone remembers that cartoon. Thing is, back then besides the lack of internet, the fighting was already going on.

N. Korea is just making threats and despite all of them, have never really raised their hand. This was them seeing us raise that hand first and them warning us not to drop them. In their own fucked up way. What will the U.S. government do? Good question, because it wasn't them who did this. I feel something should be done as completely innocent people were being threatened for something a movie studio did. But that's just me.

Think about how many movie theaters are just in your county. Then add the ones in the city. Now the whole state. Now every Theater in every county of every state of the US.

I'd see why big cities be scared. But to expect them to do something physically to EVERY theater in the US that shows it?

Personally I think it's silly that they cancelled the movie. If they indeed cancelled it. I still think this is just a marketing scheme to have it drop (even if only on DVD or through Netflix) in the spring or something as "the movie they didn't want you to see".

Sony did the right thing. Their business put lives at risk over a silly stoner movie. Someone earlier made a Charlie Chaplin reference where he made fun of Hitler. So did Daffy Duck if anyone remembers that cartoon. Thing is, back then besides the lack of internet, the fighting was already going on.

N. Korea is just making threats and despite all of them, have never really raised their hand. This was them seeing us raise that hand first and them warning us not to drop them. In their own fucked up way. What will the U.S. government do? Good question, because it wasn't them who did this. I feel something should be done as completely innocent people were being threatened for something a movie studio did. But that's just me.

No, they didn't. They did what was within their rights to do, as was within the rights of the cinemas to also not show it, but they didn't actually do the right thing. This is a sovereign nation who are supposed to protect the freedom of expression of its' peoples, most of all from oppression or threats of violence from outside itself.

Even Obama said this morning that canceling the movie was "a mistake".

"We cannot have a society where some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States."

http://gawker.com/obama-calls-sonys..._source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Fuckin' A right, Prez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back