• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Songs of which your opinion has radically changed over time.

Diet Soda

Mustang Sally <3
Wordy title, I know.

The other day whilst digging around in the garage I came across a box of my old CDs that I must've just put to one side and forgotten about. One of which was Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP.

I was in my early teens when I got this album - about the age when you start going to record shops on your own and discovering your music tastes. My rather small collection at that time also included Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Blink 182, (the most recent thing I got was Coltrane for Lovers, how times change).

Anyway, there was one song that stood out from that album at the time which was track 16, 'Kim'.

[YOUTUBE]TNXYvidMaTM[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know why, but the version of me almost half my current age listened to that song more frequently than any other track on the CD. Morbid curiosity? :suspic: Warped sense of humour? :shrug: Latent misogyny? :disappointed:

Fast forward to yesterday; I dusted the CD off popped it in the player for nostalgia's sake and chuckled away at just how crude Eminem's music really is.

Until track 16, that is.

Without deconstructing too much, the topic deals with Eminem murdering his wife and mother of his daughter, in overtly violent detail.

What was once wry amusement is now unease; I actually felt uncomfortable, even nauseous, listening to 'Kim'.

So, I'd like to ask other posters, have you ever had a similar experience? Going from loving to hating a song? Or vice-versa? Or something a little bit deeper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back