• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So John Cena is now working a "Hollywood Free Agent" like character..Does this mean?

That N Word

Actively evolving
th

So John Cena is now working a "Hollywood Free Agent" like character..Does this mean?

Last night on Raw, it was announced that John Cena would return to WWE as a Free Agent after being heavily rumored throughout the day. The video package that aired was about all of the stuff Cena was doing in Hollywood before it capped off with "Free Agent John Cena Returns to SmackDown Live on July 4th." Which got me thinking...Is John Cena returning with a heel Hollywood Free Agent character?

From what we now know, Cena will be able to appear on both brands as he pleases. A deal that ws previous reserved for The Undertaker, and we know will be preserved for The Rock when he returns. But my question is purely based off of the Hollywood heel-ish like package we saw last night on Raw. Why would they put so much focus on what John Cena was doing in Hollywood and then end it with "Free Agent John Cena" if what he has been trying to do in previous returns is state "I'm not selling out for Hollywood and I'm not letting it get to my head." Didn't that whole package seem to tease a arrogant Cena? I don't know maybe I'm looking too much into this but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

In 2014, John Cena stated that he would be interested in turning heel WHEN could replace him and show they could do well without him. Now I wouldn't neccisarily say they're doing well without him. Now with WWE considering Roman Reigns "their guy" and with WWE atleast in Cena's words: "doing well without me and really showing they don't need me anymore." Could it be time, before the big problem was WWE had Cena as the 'Face of the company.' But now Cena is practically retired from full-time competition similar to guys like Triple H, and The Undertaker so he really can't be called the 'Face of WWE' anymore nor does he really have a claim at this point. The video package that aired last night took me back to 2003 Hollywood Rock, and the term "Free Agent John Cena" reminded me of "Hollywood" Hogan.

I could be wrong and maybe I'm looking too much into this but I honestly could see this happening. If plans are indeed for Cena to return to face Reigns at SummerSlam (which I personally disagree with) and to return as a heel. I'd say just have them keep hyping his return and then on July 4th Cena's music hits and he doesn't show up and have him interfere in a match between Braun Strowman and Roman Reigns and cost Reigns a shot at the Universal Title by costing Reigns that match. This of couse would lead to Lesnar-Strowman, Cena-Reigns at SummerSlam. Despite the fact that I disagree with Reigns-Cena happening in WWE so soon and in rushed feud and at an event not named "WrestleMania." If it is to happen then maybe this is the way to go.

The only reason why he's a free agent now is because the ratings on Raw have drop down since he left the show for smackdown, so if they need him to spike the raw ratings, they can bring him in for a couple of show just to get the ratings up.

From what i've read, he supposed to be booked in a program with Jinder mahal when he comes back. He's supposed to get a triple threat match against jinder and somebody else for battleground which would lead to a one on one title match for summerslam.

After that, i wouldn'T be surprise if he takes another break and they bring him in for some small cameos on raw once and a while. The fact is, Cena is a part timer now and as his age, it's understandable that he wants to plan a career for after wrestling so i think the time as past as far as him turning heel. It'S not really worth it anymore because he'S not the focus of the company anymore and fans are going to cheer him everytime he comes back.

I love this game lol

The only reason why he's a free agent now is because the ratings on Raw have drop down since he left the show for SmackDown!, so if they need him to spike the Raw ratings, they can bring him in for a couple of show just to get the ratings up.
That's true but the video package itself indicated a possible character change.

From what I've read, he supposed to be booked in a program with Jinder Mahal when he comes back. He's supposed to get a triple threat match against Jinder and somebody else for Battleground which would lead to a one on one title match for SummerSlam.
You just made that up

lead to a one on one title match for SummerSlam
I just read that Cena might be challenging Jinder for the belt..But I also been hearing that Jinder might hold the title until WWE's tour of India so I don't think Cena takes the title. WWE is foolish for the handeling of that
video package if it doesn't lead to a Cena turn.

After that, i wouldn't be surprise if he takes another break and they bring him in for some small cameos on raw once and a while. The fact is, Cena is a part timer now and as his age, it's understandable that he wants to plan a career for after wrestling so i think the time as past as far as him turning heel. It's not really worth it anymore because he's not the focus of the company anymore and fans are going to cheer him everytime he comes back.
But that's like saying he shouldn't turn heel because he's "old" when he's only 40. I think Hogan was in his late-40's early-50's when he finally turned heel and Cena is more of a focal point now than Hogan was then. Hogan being irrelevant is what made WCW turn him to begin with and of course fans would cheer it at first but John Cena's the type of guy that can make the fans cheer or boo him at the snap of a finger.

[ W C W F ]. C O M;5708857 said:
I love this game lol

You just made that up

I just read that Cena might be challenging Jinder for the belt..But I also been hearing that Jinder might hold the title until WWE's tour of India so I don't think Cena takes the title. WWE is foolish for the handeling of that

But that's like saying he shouldn't turn heel because he's "old" when he's only 40. I think Hogan was in his late-40's early-50's when he finally turned heel and Cena is more of a focal point now than Hogan was then. Hogan being irrelevant is what made WCW turn him to begin with and of course fans would cheer it at first but John Cena's the type of guy that can make the fans cheer or boo him at the snap of a finger.

Hogan was 42/43 when he turned heel in 1996. Cena just turned 40 and can still put on solid matches (his match with AJ Styles at the Royal Rumble was a MOTY candidate).

Cena coming back as a heel makes sense. It's something new for Cena to work with. Seeing a face Seth Rollins against a heel John Cena would be interesting. Same with a face AJ Styles.

Also can't deny that seeing Cena vs Samoa Joe would be great. Cena vs Reigns would be a big Wrestlemania main event. A heel turn would give Cena different avenues, but even if he remains a face, there's plenty of great matchups left in him.

It's probably not going to lead to anything major. It's possible that Cena will probably come back with the same character, same personality, just now on two different brands.

I wouldn't expect much from Cena's return, other than a confrontation with Jinder.
Jinder will bash Americans and the celebration of the 4th, and the oh so patriotic Cena will come to the defense of America.

IF this "Free Agent" character leads to a Cena heel turn, then I would love to see wwe go all out. Have Cena eventually recruit others (Show and Miz come to mind) and create wwe's version of the Main Event Mafia.
They have more than enough top faces to counteract a heel Cena.

No, he has the lead in a cartoon about a gentle bull coming out soon. While WWE could benefit from a Cena heel turn, now is not the best time for John Cena, the mainstream entertainer, to turn heel.

He may face Reigns or other faces and he may do some heelish things but he's not going to do the full Hollywood heel thing.

Not to mention The Miz is already working that role.

I really don't know why they would be pushing for "Free Agent Cena" if the plans are for him to face Jinder. The tour in India is in September and sure, Cena vs Jinder can be a big draw for them there. But it's not bigger than Rusev vs Cena if we're talking about Summerslam. Plus Cena might be gone again after his programm with Jinder, so, is he really going for Jinder? Then what is the point of him being a free agent?

Which makes me wonder. Maybe they're not going with Jinder vs Cena. Maybe they have something else in mind.

Maybe it's not just about the ratings. Maybe WWE wants to use to Cena on RAW to fill Lesnar's void, which is fine. Plus the whole "free agent" thing could lead to some nice back and forth between the two brands, about which brand Cena will finally sign with.

But turning heel? Naah. He didn't turn heel when he had to turn heel and he won't be turning heel now. He's been doing his best work as a face these past 2 years. Owens and Styles prove that. Plus, there's really no need for a Cena heel turn at this point. No need at all. He can face anybody in the role he's at.

[ W C W F ]. C O M;5708857 said:
I love this game lol

You just made that up

Hogan was still a full time wrestlers when I turn so you can't really compare the 2 since cena is just a part timer.

Again I don't expect much from this. Cena will come back get a huge ovation and do the same thing he always did. The free agent thing is just a way for them to use cena on both brand without having to explain why cena is on raw once and a while, it's a rating ploy more or less.

I think the only logic to this new "free agent" crap is 1) John Cena is now a "movie star" and so they're gonna milk that cow bone dry, and 2) WWE are in desperate need of some help, particularly on the red brand, to get something going with anybody. Cena returns to SmackDown and could potentially face Jinder Mahal for the WWE Championship, but he may also drift over to Raw which needs him now so much more than SmackDown. I'd even go as far as to say that SmackDown is a little too busy now for Cena, whereas Raw is dead right now. Cena can come and go to any brand that needs him at any given time and so functions in a way that maybe someone like Undertaker did.

Hogan was 42/43 when he turned heel in 1996. Cena just turned 40 and can still put on solid matches (his match with AJ Styles at the Royal Rumble was a MOTY candidate).

Cena coming back as a heel makes sense. It's something new for Cena to work with. Seeing a face Seth Rollins against a heel John Cena would be interesting. Same with a face AJ Styles.

Also can't deny that seeing Cena vs Samoa Joe would be great. Cena vs Reigns would be a big Wrestlemania main event. A heel turn would give Cena different avenues, but even if he remains a face, there's plenty of great matchups left in him.

forgot to mention something on my previous reply, the video package was kinda indicating that he was coming back as regular old john cena anyway. The showed clips from all the stuff he being doing outside the ring and transition to him come back as plain old john cena. I don't know where you got the character change from the video package, to me it felt like a normal john cena video package like they do everytime they want to promote something Cena does for the company.

From what I originally understood when Cena went on hiatus, he wasn't due back until the end of the summer or Survivor Series. Just the fact that he's had to come back early is something that no one has bothered mentioning.

RAW has problems. Not the least being their champ is absent, the main event guys are just standing around picking their butts and there doesn't seem to be anything of note at all. I couldn't book a wrestling show to save my life, but there are times I feel like I could do a better job than the people that are being paid to do it.

Last week the only interaction any of the main event guys had was Joe/Lesnar for about 3-4 minutes and Wyatt/Rollins for the same amount of time. I have no idea what the hell Cena is going to do when he does return and why are they putting him on a show where nothing is happening.

John Cena is a great guy and will bring eyes to the product, but holy cow I don't even think he can save RAW at this point. People will tune in for the first time in a long time but the lack of storylines will cause them to tune out again.

I kind of feel bad for Cena in a way. Here is a guy who has given his all to the WWE. Now he is trying to make a name for himself outside of it because he's in the twilight of his wrestling career, and he can't. The WWE needs him too much for that to happen. It's plain that the way the roster is being booked and maybe some of the roster members themselves aren't putting asses in the seats, or eyes on the TV screen.

Said it before, when you concentrate all your attention on one person and kind of ignore everyone else, this will come back to bite you in the ass. For the better part of 3 years now it's been the Roman Reigns show and that's worked out so well they still need Cena. Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.

I think it's just a stupid storyline to begin with. This was never mentioned until a week ago. We have to hear about what Roman Reigns is doing on Summerslam in advance but we don't find out Cena became a free agent at some point since WM. Bryan and Shane would be working 24/7 to try and get Cena back on the SD roster. Another rushed thing in my mind.

From a non kayfabe look it's obvious this is to try and bring Raw up a bit, and it's good to see Cena back. I just don't like all this rushed stuff that wWE have been producing in what seems to be pretty common this decade. What were they originally going to do with Cena when he came back? Can you look more than one week into the future please WWE.

Could this be Cenas last run though? As in last full run before he does a Taker and only appears for Mania and maybe a Summerslam. Have him just go through the best guys now as a free agent. Cena could clearly benefit from moving away from the WWE for more than a couple of months. Maybe fans could appreciate him more if that was to happen.

In the old days when a territory was down, they would build one or two main heels and build up the new faces to work with them slowly bringing up the attendence and ratings. Cena should be a heel and WWE builds up a face factory to give Cena good matches. WWE didn't learn their lesson in the early 1990s when they let Hogan leave and not put over Bret Hart before leaving causing business to shrink.

All that was indicated was his SDLive contract expired so he can work both brands

And when did his SD Live contract end? That's news to me. I thought and maybe I'm wrong, but the wrestlers don't have contracts for specific shows, they are all contracted to work for the WWE but when they are drafted too determines which show they work.

This would be the first time I've heard of any wrestler having a contract like this. They could have easily had another draft and switched him over. My guess is he is being brought back early and they have to put him on RAW to try and get some viewers back. The only thing it will accomplish is sure it will get viewers to watch while he's on, but when he leaves again they will too. It's plain as day that the roster and it's booking is what isn't keeping viewers interested.

No Cena is not returning as a heel. As others have said, Raw needs ratings, and Cena will boost those ratings.

The main reason is WWE doesn't have the next 'Cena'. Reigns is talented, but he doesn't draw or sell merch like Cena. No one does, so Cena's gonna stay face.

Also I really doubt Reigns faces Cena at SummerSlam. That's WrestleMania main event worthy and shouldn't be 'wasted' in a non-title match at any other PPV.

I used to hope about John Cena turning heel as it would basically renovate everything John Cena has been until now. But I don't hope about it anymore. Just like about Roman Reigns' heel turn.

Free agent seems like a way to boost ratings a bit. Plus, plans for John Cena against some Raw wrestler. That's it, I think.

Would be welcoming either of Cena or Reigns turning heel with open hands. But it just won't.

If they can keep cena full time then reigns should go heel. They may as well hit both markets. If reigns goes heel those that boo him now cheer and eat him up. There's merch sales. Cena comes back in and the kids eat him up like always and the merch sales roll in like always. On top of that Reigns can be a bit looser on the mic he can talk down to people tell them to shut up, be a bad ass (you know that thing he should be but WWE dont see as a money making kid friendly face)

I dont see a negative to this situation. There are plenty of faces to cover the turn of reigns in rollins, ambrose and balor. And all the while wwe can make money over fist and strap the much needed rocket to roman reigns back, hopefully uncovering the next rock along the way

It's a sorry situation that WWE has got themselves in and I can't help but feel it's ignorance by WWE creative that they know best and they don't need to listen to the fans.

They've got a part time champion until WrestleMania, they refuse to turn Reigns heel, even if it was for a year before the inevitable face turn and leadership role of WWE, they've got the majority of the future of the company on RAW with Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, Wyatt, Balor & yet they now need to bring Cena back, a guy who should have turned heel before now & have also basically pissed all over the brand split concept in doing so.

It's like the WWE is in disarray.

no mention of Hollywood, already have the Miz covering this angle. Its a way to have him on both Raw and Smackdown leading up to Summerslam. Look for him to dethrone Mahal at Summerslam...........................only to have Corbin cash in and become champion. Styles and Nakamura will be the title scene leading to Mania. Corbin gets a run to around Survivor Series then drops to either Styles/Nakamura.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back