So I Saw Avatar

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
And the first thing I thought when I left was Ferngully in Space.

The plot is so cookie cutter and basic that it blew my mind. You see a guy fairly early on and in my head instead of his lines I heard "Hello. My name is Completely Inconsequential. I'm a stereotypical military guy and I'll be your ruthless yet completely beatable villain for the next two and a half hours." Those are my major issues: the characters are flatter than a preteen girl and the plot is as cookie cutter as well cut cookies made using a cookie cutter. I compared it to Star Wars, which at its time blew away box office records and visual effects standards. At the end of the original SW, I want to cheer when the Death Star blows up. Here I was more or less waiting for it to end as the last hour and a half is completely predictable. Yes, the visuals blow away any and everything else ever made, but at nearly 3 hours, they stop losing their flare about halfway in and the weak plot makes this limp into the finish. There's also a plot hole that had me trying to figure it out for a good part of the end and I could only chalk it up to James Cameron messing up.

Now onto the good stuff.

This movie is absolutely AMAZING LOOKING. WHile it has its holes and issues, the look on its own carries this thing with ease. I saw the 3D version and it makes the movie. At times I would slip the glases off and it still looked good, but once they went back on you're completely sucked into the looks and sounds and you're gone for the rest of the time.

While it has problems and is nowhere near as good as it's made out to be, which is the greatest movie of the last 30 years at least, it's without a doubt worth seeing at least once. The visuals blew me completely away. The story is by no means terrible or anything like that, but it's predictable. That's not the point of the film though. It's about the look and the animation and that is like the 1/4 TNA LD: it's so far ahead of everything else that it's not fair to make a comparison to anything else. It's not a great movie by any means, but it's a mind blowing spectacle if that makes sense. DEFINITELY see this in 3D as you'll be glad you did.

That's the main problem I had with this movie. Story wise, it was VERY simplistic, but as far as the action and overall look of the movie, yeah I'll admit, it did blow my mind.

It's been so long since I've seen Ferngully, I can't remember what it was about. All I remember is the name,and I think it had something to do with a rain forest?

But I do get the Dances With Wolves part of the comparison.

I didn't think it was anything special. It was pretty good, but I love my characters, dialogue and plots. This really has very little of that. Especially the plot

It's been so long since I've seen Ferngully, I can't remember what it was about. All I remember is the name,and I think it had something to do with a rain forest?

But I do get the Dances With Wolves part of the comparison.

Fairies live in a rain forrest, evil company wants to cut it down, guy working for the company is turned into a tiny version of himself and hangs with the fairies, changes sides, fairy magic destroyes the evil threat.

Fairies live in a rain forrest, evil company wants to cut it down, guy working for the company is turned into a tiny version of himself and hangs with the fairies, changes sides, fairy magic destroyes the evil threat.

That sort of rings a bell now that you mention that.

I personally loved it for the characters. The graphics however were also totally awesome.

Military invaders invade foreign nature world for supplies. (Gold or Unobtainium) One of the soldiers falls in love with the natives and defends them. The exact same storyline.

It's a typical James Cameron film, big Hollywood blockbuster fluff that everyone can enjoy. Nobody makes a better big Hollywood blockbuster.

Avatar was damn good. District 9 was better from this past year. So was Fish Tank among other films that I saw from 2009. Still, great flick.

Oh and whoever came up with the name "unobtainium" for the material they're after, is a fucking idiot.

Military invaders invade foreign nature world for supplies. (Gold or Unobtainium) One of the soldiers falls in love with the natives and defends them. The exact same storyline.

Congratulations, you've described over 900,000 different novels, films, and works of art.

Yeah it was definitely good. Not great but good. Not something I'll want to see again.

It was better than good, it was very good, borderline great. 4/5 without a doubt. Just not the best film of the year. I would like to see it again. It's one of those films you can really get lost in fantasy-wise.

KB would have liked it better, but anyone who has been to an LD knows that he cannot suspend disbelief and probably felt the need to analyze the dialogue through the movie.

Did you at least see it in 3D?

To be fair FTS, the dialogue was in fact fucking atrocious in the film. I cracked up a few times at the cheeseball lines they were spouting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back