• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smackdown #1 show? Not likely.

Kyle316

Dark Match Jobber
So John Cena gets drafted from RAW to SmackDown, and back to RAW. Just when I thought "too good to be true" upon seeing both Orton and Cena being sent to Friday nights, Vince Mcmahon pulls a "shocker" out of his ass and decides Cena MUST remain on RAW to steal just a bit more spotlight than he needs.
Okay, a LOT more.

If I remember correctly, I recall reading an article, stating that McMahon wanted Smackdown treated as the #1 show. That requires drafting Cena to SmackDown as well. Because, after all, John Cena=ratings (sorry Zach Ryder)
Now I understand RAW is and always has been the flagship show for the WWE. It seems fitting that WWE's biggest star today remain there. But if McMahon wants SmackDown to shine brighter, it makes sense to send the biggest star there.

So is that it? SmackDown got Randy Orton, sure, but I was expecting a little more than that. I was expecting more shock, less predictability. It's like deja vu from Wrestlemania 27.

Was anyone else pleased with this years draft? And do you think Smackdowns ratings will improve?

I completely agree with you, but let's not forget about the supplemental draft that takes place tomorrow @ 12 noon on wwe.com. They still could pull a shocker and push Smackdown, I just feel though, as this is not going to happen. I mean let's face it, Smackdown doesn't have that Raw appeal. The atmosphere @ Smackdown is always a little less exciting. Who knows though, it is the WWE, and anything can happen.

Smackdown is the 1 show despite the hype. Cena is the essence of raw so it makes sense to keep him there. Having such an ego and that kind of wrestling style would have been a put off to the blue brand`s audience.

When Orton and Cena got drafted to Smackdown i thought it would be the A show. Buh after Cena got drafted bak to Raw, Raw remains the number 1 show. I personally dont see how Smackdown can be the A show when it is a taped show and as someone's said earlier it just doesn't have the same atmosphere that Raw does.

I really wanted Cena to go to smackdown, i love cena but i am sick and tired of him feuding with the miz, its gotten really bad in my eyes. For most of raw i was like Yeah cena's going to smackdown!! fresh material, then that final pick just screwed everything up. I hope something major happens and the title changes hand on Sunday to either cena or morrison, just so that there is something new happening. But lots of other stuff happened as well, truth cut a good heel promo, mark henry also turned heel i believe possibly setting up a future feud with christian. Things should be good, but if the miz is still champion on monday i'll stick to reading the results. I don't hate the miz just the feud

i agree when cena went to smackdown i was excited ad was thinking this could be a good draft but at the end when he back to raw it screwed everything up:banghead:

I remember asking my brother, "If you get drafted tonight, do you think you can get drafted back to the same brand?" right before Cena went back to Raw. Then he said, "Apparently."

I feel like the Draft was built up real high and seems like a let down, but change is always good. Orton was put in the same feuds, and perhaps will get a small gimmick change with his new beard and all. We all know he's going to be the face of Smackdown now.

But Raw is always going to be the flagship show due to the fact that it's Live. I think Vince just says he wants SD to be first so the writers will strive to make it better. But how easy is it to write a show that is lacking in main event talent?

I liked the "shocker" but I called it. I knew it would happen as soon as Randy Orton got drafted and the final match was worth only one pick, so they had to through a shocker. Plus, Who would lead the Raw faces? John Morrison who is in a fued with R-truth or Rey Mysterio who is just as prone to injury as Edge who returned from injury every other month? After looking at the draft, I am disapointed that Sin Cara is gone from Raw. Another thing is I'm sad that the Corre didn't break up by sending Justin Gabriel to Raw and a face turn. He has potential to be one of the top baby faces because of his finisher. I'm also disapointed that Big Show got drafted again. I mean the guy gets drafted every year. Plus I wanted him to be on the same show as Kane since they are the WWE Tag Team Champions. Unless WWE wants him to drop the title and become a main-eventer even though he won't win. Mark Henry was pointless until the end with the whole heel turn. Shocked the hell out of me. Thought he would retire face but I guess since Smackdown lacked the top heel and since he played the role on ECW for a while he would be good until Chris Jericho gets back from Dancing With The Stars which is hopefully soon. Overall I liked the draft after it was all said and done. While I was watching, I did find myself to get upset during it.

Yeah as soon as Orton got drafted you knew Cena would be back on raw. No way they are putting their 2 top faces on smackdown.

Smackdown will always be viewed as number 2. I think Smackdown not being live hurts the atmosphere. They also replay segments from Raw on Smackdown. By doing that it kind of makes Smackdown feel like a "lesser" show.

I for one would have loved to see Cena on Smackdown because of how stale he has gotten on RAW and with his upcoming match at WM28 with Rock you could have the Rock drop by on "his" show. Though I have a feeling another star is going to Smackdown maybe Triple H since he seems to be on the Undertaker schedule.

I'm confident in saying that no superstar would boost smackdowns rating, period. It's the time slot that's killing it. It's also the time slot that's allowing it to survive, but it's definitely the time slot that's holding it down.

Randy Orton going to smackdown bums me out pretty hardcore, only because I work Friday's and can't watch the show.

It wouldn't have worked out having Cena on Smackdown. The Rock is going to be rarely stopping by on RAW, there is no way he would come to Smackdown. If Cena was on Smackdown, he would still be on RAW almost every other week so it wouldn't make sense. I don't like how they did it though.

There isn't any point in drafting Triple H or Undertaker since they barely wrestle anyways. Plus it would be a big blow to their egos if they were traded in the Supplemental Draft.

What fucking article was THAT?

Anyway, nah. They will only be equal, never SD number one. Friday night primetime is a shit timeslot for one, the show is on fucking SYFY, and RAW is and always will be, the flagship. Plus, if you think Cena Vs the Rock is getting built ANYWERE besides RAW, you are a damn fool.

No, Smackdown is perfect the way it is, they got Sin Cara who is exciting in the ring, although now we can't see him vs. Rey, and yes they lost Del Rio which I didn't really like, it would have been better with Cena on Smackdown aswell, but Orton gets more cheers that Cena most of the time.. Plus since Smackdown moved to SyFy, the ratings have improved anyway.. I just can't wait to see the new feuds we have set..

When I saw Cena going to Smackdown the one thing I was excited about was a possible Cena ADR feud...but looks like that could happen now anyway, so I'm content for the time being.

I never say never, but it's highly unlikely Smackdown will ever be the No. 1 show.

We all know Raw is the flagship. It's on the more watched network on the better timeslot. It's the show that most wrestling fans associate with wrestling (even though WWE doesn't associate itself with wrestling any more, officially). When Smackdown moved to SyFy, it gave it a chance to be less of a B show, but not much of a chance.

If anyone thought the moves last night were giving Smackdown more of a chance, they're mistaken. The moves last night were made to "shake things up again," and they did that storyline wise. But those moves will not shift the focus away from Raw.

Moving Del Rio was done to set up a Cena/Del Rio title feud for Summerslam (meaning Cena will likely get the belt back soon, and Christian will win the WHC). IMO, they moved Rey to Raw so they can get him a higher-exposure run before he possibly hangs it up soon. Moving Sin Cara to Smackdown was the correct move as well, IMO, to replace Rey. Orton needed to be moved to give him a fresh start as the top face on Smackdown to replace Edge. Big Show and Henry moving were just icing on the cake (Are they seriously trying to make Henry a megaheel on Smackdown by attacking Cena out of the blue?)

And, honestly, did anyone with any sense truly think Cena was going to stay on Smackdown? As soon as they did it, I said "He'll be back on Raw by the end of the night." They're going to push the Rock-Cena feud on Raw exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back