• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sierra - Quest For Glory 1: So You Want To be a Hero

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
In my recent business travels, I've had a lot of downtime. Plus, airline travel tends to get a bit boring. So I decided to dig back into a bit of old school by downloading what I consider to be some of both the most revolutionary and some of the greatest PC games of all time made by a company called "Sierra."

My first installment is about my favorite series made by Sierra called "Quest for Glory." I'll start with the original.

qfg1enh.jpg

This was the first installment of the series that successfully utilized action, role playing, comedy, and an addictive storyline to entertain its players. You are an unnamed adventurer that enters the town of Spielburg seeking to become a hero. You find out that the town and lands have been cursed and you're timing couldn't have been any better. Originally named "Hero's Quest", Sierra was unsuccessful in copyrighting the name and lost the rights to Milton Bradley, thus forcing them to rename the series.

HeroQust.png

qfg1_title.gif

"Quest For Glory" was the first PC role playing game to utilize character attributes in its role playing to allow non-linear gameplay and for gamers to "build up" their characters. Also, after finishing the game and being named "Hero of the Realm", you're able to save your character and attributes to be used in later games of the series.

Choose between three character sets at the beginning in the form of a thief, magic user, or fighter who all have different direction and storyline paths that you must follow in order to complete he game on the infamous sierra point system. However, if you choose, you can create a hybrid between all character types aslong as you follow the path of the one you specified from the beginning. Fight trolls, brigands, dragons, and even minotaurs to gain experience as a fighter or pick the locks of innocent bystanders in the town and rob their houses as the thief... the choice is yours.

This game is just incredible to gamers who love role playing. It was so popular that Sierra decided to re-release the game after it's original EGA graphic version into a revamped VGA format. This gave the game a whole new dimension and look. I suggest that hardcore gamers start with the EGA version and work their way up while impatient trial gamers jump right into VGA.

So, has anyone else ever heard of this series? Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back