• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shouldn't we just call this "Tough Enough"?

wbuqed

I bring the meat even if ur a vegan
MODERATOR COMMENTS (Lord Sidious)​

Evidently, there is confusion off the get-go on what type of comments to put in the first two threads we have. I have already moved countless posts from one thread to the other because each one isn't discussing the appropriate topic. So let me clarify.

This thread is for discussing the concept of the show. Feel free to discuss whether you think it's a good idea or not. Do you look at it being another Tough Enough or Ultimate Fighter? Do you think this can have a positive impact on a wrestler's career in the WWE? That type of thing.

This thread is not for discussing the specific cast members. That is what the other thread we have up is for. Discuss the cast members, the mentors, the mentees, and your opinions on them in that thread. Not this one.

Thank you.

OK, ECW announcers are calling this show a mix of reality TV and Live Event. Essentially aren't we talking about a knock off of Tough Enough? Second do you really see a show like this doing as good? and yes ECW didn't really hit, so standards arent as high to hit.

Personally I don't see a show like this really making it because I think fans really don't care how you get there when your already there. Yes IMO tough enough was proof of that i mean NXT will get a curiousity audience for the first few weeks but I expect a drop off pretty quickly.

PS- yes I do sound like a naysayer of WWE on here but this i do believe needed naysaying

I gotta say, I am currently watching ECW, and they are announcing the matches. But, I like the idea. It's basically what ECW has been anyway. I mean, the lower card ECW matches anyway. Really, it seems WWE is now, instead of sugar coating it, and calling it it's own brand,(ECW), they are now acknowledging it as a training ground for new wrestlers. I am sure there will be storylines. Hell, I can even see matches where it's the "Teacher vs. The Student."

I will tune in. Give it a chance anyway. Probably be better than TNA. (Sorry, I have given TNA all the chances I think I can. ) LOL

I am actually glad it is not a third brand. The WWE has proven with ECW that it can not handle 3 fully independent brands. I was a big Tough Enough fan, so this could be a great thing if they semi break kayfabe.

If you ask me, I think it would be a good idea to use NXT to train the up and comers and then use Superstars to see if they're ready for the big times. That way it makes it seem like they're actually trying their damndest to get to the WWE/WHC title.

The big difference between NXT and Tough Enough is that the NXT cast members are already trained wrestlers and already have semblances of characters. And since they are essentially spotlighted, hopefully they will have a better opportunity to get over with the WWE Universe. There are no wannabes on NXT.

Sure, some of the NXT cast members won't make it to the main roster or last very long on it, but at least they are being given the chance to be seen by a larger audience than FCW reaches. There have been several wrestlers in FCW that have been released before they got their shot at the main roster. Many of them mired in developmental forever. So, hopefully there will be several "seasons" of NXT with call-ups at the end of each season. At least these wrestlers won't be sitting around forever with no chance to make it in the big time.

My question is what will happen if they don't get moved up? Will they get cut entirely? Will they be relegated back to FCW with a chance to be called up later? I'm excited. It should be interesting.

Personally this show resembles Ultimate Fighter more than Tough Enough. I liked Ultimate Fighter but I never watched cause I don't care too much for UFC. I think this will actually work out cause think about how attached you can get to one particular wrestler and eventually care about them as a WWE superstar. Yes Tough Enough had the same premise and didn't follow through but this will be different, as some people have already stated, because these guys aren't clueless about the industry

Yeah but there is another difference, all of these wrestlers are already under contract to WWE. So is this even a game? I don't get how it's reality tv. In Tough Enough you had basically athletic individuals competing for a contract...which all of these wrestlers already have with WWE (at least developmental). So what are they competing for? Is it like backstage based or is it a wrestling show with "mentors" just giving advice?

Will NXT be a reality show or a wrestling show? Or are we really just in for WWE's version of Hogan's CCW without the celebrities? And once again....what the hell is the prize? Initially I believed NXT was just going to be like ECW was anyway but with only developmental talent but now they are talking about reality tv and mentors and I'm really confused.

From everything that I have read and heard, NXT is NOT a competition. Everyone on the show WWE is considering moving to the main roster soon anyway, so this is a way for them to graduate. If you want to have a Tough Enough/NXT Connection, you only have to look as far as Skip Sheffield (aka Ryan Reeves), a former Tough Enough competitor (same Tough Enough that the Miz was the runner up of). How I envision it is that these guy are going to train with their mentors and then have matches amongst each other to see how close they are to being able to graduate to the main roster.

BTW, anyone notice that two of the competitors are going to be coming to the show with names that they weren't using in FCW?

There was a huge difference in my book between the MMA show The Ultimate Fighter and the Professional Wrestling show Tough Enough, and not only the sports involved. TE involved a sat of people who were fresh to the sport, TUF has guys who have already started in MMA. And that is what NXT is, a chance to be built up in front of a crowd before getting to the big time. Its not reality stars and backyard wrestlers looking for a shot, its Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson) before he reaches the top.

NXT will be way different then Tough Enough.T.E was kind of stupid and it alwasy give the winner away. And with NXT I think it will be much better because we will see wrestlers that we already know,And all these wrestlers are great in the ring.I cant wait for next tuesday.Hopefully the make a good impression.

The following post is all based on rumors, as NXT hasn't hit the air yet.

From what I've heard, this is way different from Tough Enough. I see it more as an Ultimate Fighter-type show than anything. Instead of having rookies fresh from the backyard, we have wrestlers who have already been wrestling in FCW. It's a way to introduce them to the audience in a different way than ECW, by letting them break kayfabe and see who they are outside of the ring. It makes us care about them.

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea, since the number one problem with wrestlers today is that they don't make us care. By letting us see them train outside of the ring, we get a better insight into their personalities and trials, and develop a bond with them.

Tough Enough took green guys and tried to make them legit. NXT will take uys who already have some experience and know how to wrestle, and groom them to become the superstars of tomorrow. I have said before, having Daniel Bryan on the show means that they don't want to make the same mistake that they did with Tough Enough and want to give us a real star right off the bat.

It is like a cross with tough enough from a few years ago and ufc the ultimate fighter.

Just think about it the idea of tough enough having young stars and then the ultimate fighter part having them being trained by wwe pros like with ufc they do it with top ufc fighters and back when the ultimate fighter began the ufc was going bad and this did really save the ufc (im not turning this into a ufc topic either) could the wwe be trying to mimic this to try to pull big audiences where ecw was doing poorly on tuesday nights.

I would like to see what other people think of this.

I would actually say it is more Vince Mcmahon seeing the good side of Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling, taking all the useful ideas such as a reality show that trains people to be wrestlers, and adding his own twist to it.

Actually, the concept itself is the exact same as CCW, and I believe CCW also had a bracketed, tiered booking structure that determined who went on, and who got kicked off.

The difference is, NXT won't use celebrities like Danny Bonaduce (Partridge Family and Radio Shows) and other has-been or never-to-be TV hacks, they'll be using FCW Wrestlers that, otherwise, have no exposure to the huge WWE market that have never heard of an independent promotion, that, or either don't care for them.

Also, trainees will be paired with established names, which, knowing WWE, will lead to feuds and partnerships that will test the waters with all these talents and get them used to the travel schedule, and test them in front of huge crowds.

So yeah, to sum it up, NXT will be the non-celebrity version of CCW, and will actually run for more than 1 season, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back