• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should You Cheer A Heel?

mork83

Wooooooooo
I think most people would agree that Chris Jericho, Edge, and Randy Orton are all currently great heels. However, they get occassional cheers in the audience, sometimes their reactions are even mixed. I can understand booing a good guy who you don't like or think is worth their push, but if you think that Randy Orton for instance is great as a bad guy, shouldn't you boo him and give him the reaction he is trying to get?

I know that cheering a heel is how Steve Austin and The Rock turned and became huge stars, but I just think that if you really appreciate the work a heel is doing, booing is actually a sign of appreciation.

I don't know if that makes sense and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this. Anyone else agree?

It's OK to cheer a heel during a great promo, or even a big bump in a match, as long as you boo appropriately also.

When a heel does something truly vile, the boos come out in full force, and that's how it should be. When Jericho punched Mrs. Hickenbottom, the crowd was furious. When Orton kicked Shane in the ribs, the crowd went nuts. When Edge cheats his way to a title, the fans are steaming mad. Those are their truly heel moments.

I agree that booing a heel would make more sense than cheering a job well done, but they're just earning a paycheck, so cheering a job well done isn't so bad.

It shows disrespect in the most part,although there are circumstances where it might be acceptable i.e. as a show of respect after a great match, or during some insanely good promo or storyline which capdivates you so much with charisma or entertainment that you innocently cheer.

Otherwise it is completely unacceptable, and serves only to disrespect the wrestler who is performing by basically belittling their work. It also makes it harder for heels to do their job and make faces look good if they are getting a positive reaction.

I sortof agree. Look what happened to Mr Kennedy when everyone was cheering him, he turned face, and that is NOT working. I'm guilty of cheering for the heels I really love at shows, but now that I think about it, it probably hurts the character. My bad.

Me personally I cheer for whoever appeals to me whether it be a heel or a face. I cheer for heels not only cause they are very appealing & play their character well but I also have respect for what they do out there but I do understand when exactly to boo them as well when it's acceptable of course.

Cheering for heels is the single dumbest thing any wrestling fan can do. In their arrogant attempt to show how "smart" they are to the business, they cheer the people who are working so hard to make the fans boo them. It's completely ridiculous, and anyone who cheers a heel is not a real wrestling fan in my opinion.

I don't see any problem in cheering for a heel. In my opinion, it's up to you who you like and who you don't, and therefore you should be able to cheer anyone that you want. Sure, it goes against what the heel is actually trying to get you to do, but at the end of the day it's your choice. I'll keep cheering for Randy Orton thankyou very much.

You should be able to cheer and boo whoever you want. You are the paying customer, and the right to cheer and boo as you wish is a privilege that comes with the price of admission.

If a "heel" is drawing cheers out of you, then I don't think he or she playing is playing the character at an ideal level anyway. By FORCING yourself to cheer/boo based on predetermined face/heel distinctions, it is a good way to harbor a less than satisfactory product.

You shouldn't cheer the heels because that's not what they or the promotion are looking for and it can throw a wrench in things but I don't take offense to people if they do so because ultimately its your choice on who you want to root for. Im one of those people that always liked heels not because I thought it made me cooler or because I wanted to seem "smarky" I just always thought they were more entertaining. Personally I don't think that makes me any less of a wrestling fan.

No. Absolutely not. Heels are absolutely diabolical human beings. As much as I may like them, that makes me a vile person. Sure you are paying to watch a show. But they play characters. Why should you boo a bad guy? Nowadays the only reason heels are getting booed is because they are not actually portraying their characters good enough to warrant any boos from the crowd. Does it really make sense to cheer a guy who hits a girl? No. Just as it doesnt make any sense to boo a person like Cena who is a role model for all young kids.

In my opinoin i think it is okay in someways like if there is a badass heel like stone cold steve austin i think its axceptable but let say for example chris jericho beat the shit out of shawn micheals whole family kayable wise and gets cheers then that is disrespectful to the heel and to the babyface

You should cheer or boo whoever you want. You pay your money to go to a show and therefore you have a right to support whichever competitor you wish. Wrestling would be extremely boring if all the fans did what they were told there would be no innovation or originality. I think that the definition of what a babyface is and what a heel is needs to change, because the wrestling industry and society as a whole is changing. What previously was condiered to be bad or heel is now cool and will draw cheers. Wrestlers need to adapt in order to get the ideal reaction.

You should cheer or boo whoever you want. You pay your money to go to a show and therefore you have a right to support whichever competitor you wish. Wrestling would be extremely boring if all the fans did what they were told there would be no innovation or originality. I think that the definition of what a babyface is and what a heel is needs to change, because the wrestling industry and society as a whole is changing. What previously was condiered to be bad or heel is now cool and will draw cheers. Wrestlers need to adapt in order to get the ideal reaction.

Really? Because back in the day when wrestling was super exciting the fans actually booed the heels and cheered the faces. Nowadays people are confused as who to cheer and boo for by the actions of the wrestlers themselves. Fuck the attitude era. Vince Russo is the biggest pile of shit on the planet. Not you the poster, the booker. If we had a clear line of what faces and heels are then the wrestling business would be better off.

Really? Because back in the day when wrestling was super exciting the fans actually booed the heels and cheered the faces. Nowadays people are confused as who to cheer and boo for by the actions of the wrestlers themselves. Fuck the attitude era. Vince Russo is the biggest pile of shit on the planet. Not you the poster, the booker. If we had a clear line of what faces and heels are then the wrestling business would be better off.

Wrestling may have been super exciting back in the day but that style of wrestling grown old and tired and wont make wrestling exciting NOW. People dont want the steretypical heroes and villans anymore. People have changed and wrestling needs to change with them. The attitude era was the most entertaining era in wrestling i don't see how you cant appreciate it. And in the modern era there definately is a clear line of what faces and heels are but the fans deliberately cross that line and disregard it. Edge is the very definition of a traditional heel and John Cena is the definition of a traditional face. However, Cena gets some boos and edge gets some cheers therefore proving that old school faces and heels do not in fact work in the mdoern era.

On a side note im pretty sure Vince Russo isnt the biggest piece of shit in the world, he's not even the biggest piece of shit in professional wrestling- that title belongs to Chris Benoit.

Warning: Long NoFate style post coming up.

If you're cheering the heel because you simply want to do the opposite of what is expected of you (which, by default, means you boo faces for no reason other than to be different...and NOT that you cheer some and boo some) then no, that's wrong.

But should you cheer a heel in general? You have every right to.

We're supposed to suspend our disbelief and assume that these guys are the real people that we're currently being presented with, correct? Theoretically, we're supposed to believe that the Boogeyman is from "the bottomless pit", are we not? Theoretically, we're supposed to believe that Orton has IED and that Shawn Michaels just rebounded from financial difficulties, right? And theoretically, we're supposed to assume that whenever a heel turns face and a face turns heel, that that's who they REALLY are as a person.

Well, I'm allowed to like what people in the world I like. If we're supposed to take their roles as "Edge is this type of a guy. If you met him on the street, he would spear you if it meant he could get ahead of you in the line at Pizza Hut"...and if I'm a fan of that type of person, why wouldn't I cheer him? So what if he's doing bad things to a face. If I don't like the type of person the face is, then I'd be happy that he's doing stuff to that person.

Example: I find it very annoying when I come across a person that tries to make me feel like I'm worse than Hitler because I don't go out and volunteer to help save the rain forest. Is saving the rain forest a good thing to do? Yes. Is it ethically something that is admirable? Yes. Would that person be a face? Yes. But to me, that's annoying as hell, so if a heel Umaga came and gave them a Samoan Spike, I'd think "YEAH!"

You have every right in the world to cheer ANY wrestler for being any type of character because you're allowed to like and dislike people. HOWEVER...if you're booing a face because WWE wants you to like him and you just want to be rebellious, that's wrong. Similarly, if you're cheering a heel because WWE doesn't want you to, and you just want to be rebellious, that's wrong. Why? Because it has nothing to do with the performance of the wrestler or the product itself. Its just you trying to be a tough guy/girl. That's the equivalent of going to watch a comedian do stand-up and instead of listening to their jokes and cheering/booing according to whether or not you think its funny, you simply boo because you want to stand out and do something out of the ordinary.

On the issue of "if you think a heel is doing a good job portraying his character, you should boo him"....yes. But actually sit down and think about that for a second instead of just repeating it. If a heel is doing a good job, he should be making you hate him and you should be booing anyway. It shouldn't be a conscious effort. I shouldn't listen to Jericho and say "wow, he's doing a good job at making it seem like he's a bad guy. I'm thoroughly entertained. To make him feel good, I'm going to boo him. Boo." I should just think to myself "oh what an asshole, calling me a hypocrite. Boo!" because remember...suspension of disbelief. If John Cena was doing a good enough job, I would be happy to see him win and I'd just cheer out of a gut reaction, because his character would be someone that I wanted to see win.

See, that's the differentiating factor that nobody wants to really look at. They think "heel is entertaining = I should boo him / face is entertaining = I should cheer him", which is EXACTLY the same thing that those people are criticizing - you know, "smarks", the people that cheer or boo because of looking at the people as performers instead of as their characters. Person X cheering Orton because they like "Randy Orton the performer" rather than "Randy Orton the character" is exactly the same thing as Person Y cheering John Cena because they like "John Cena the hard worker backstage that they know the WWE would like them to cheer" as opposed to "John Cena the character".

I agree with NoFate. or at least the first paragraph of what he wrote, becuase there is no way on fucking earth im reading all of that. I digress.

I say its fine if you cheer for a heel becuase you legitimately like the character, and his work. I blew the fuck up when Jack Swagger made his entrance at the last SD!/ECW I went to, becuase he is one of my favorite wrestlers. I think in a scenario such as that, its fine to cheer for who you like.

On the other hand, if you simply cheer heels to be "cool" then your a total jackass, and shouldnt have a ticket. you shouldnt be there to try and razz other fans, or make the show about you, becuase you think your cool, smart, or "anti".

CHeer for whom you like. As long as that person isnt actually yourself.

it depends why you cheer them. If you cheer them because you want to be different thats wrong, Don't try to be kool by going against the crowd.

But if you as NorCal said Really like the heel as a wrestler and respect his moves and wrestling ability I don't see why you should not be able to. Just because they are heel's don't mean they don't deserve fans now does it?

Why would I cheer for Cena when he hangs around with children and stops Santino from revealing that Santa isn't real, when I can cheer for Randy Orton who punts wrestlers I dislike in the face?

Jake, I wish I could rep you for that!

But to the point, the NWO made cheering for heels the in thing. They were better than the faces, so we cheered. Jericho, and Edge are cool, cooler to the 20 year olds then Cena is for the most part, and they get cheers for them. Kids are starting to love Orton, and they cheer him for that. Maybe its not the heels doing a good job, its the faces failing.

I'd have to disagree that Edge & Jericho are cool. Edge is banging Vickie Guerrero on screen and Y2J looks like he's wearing a nappy. It's more that all the faces are uncool. Triple H is probably the ''coolest'' face, but he's trying to be, which is un-cool.

Man let me tell you, most of the heels are better wrestlers than the faces. That's why most of my wrestlers are heels lol. I cheer them all the time, I scream my lungs out when I go to events

Good point by the thread starter but personally I feel if I'm paying money to see the product I have the right to cheer or boo whomever I like.

I cheer heel's if they are competitors I enjoy watching, but I don't do it in the same manor I would a face, I do it more of a chest pumping "Yeah baby!" kind of way, while with faces I cheer them more like a traditional fan would with claps and "Yaaay's". I think you should cheer who you like and boo who you dislike reguardless of if it's a heel or a face. Remember when Diesel was a heel and he only pumped fists with fans wearing black gloves on their right hands? I love that kind of stuff, and I like when heel's do stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back