Should WWE bring back managers

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
I remember when i started watching WWE back in the late 80's. Most heels would have a manager coming with him which did all the talking for them. You Bobby Heenan, Slick, Jimmy Hart, Mr Fuji & Sensational Sherri all where managing a group of guys and most of them where elevated up the card because of it. The would help get the talent over.

Now outside of Lana, you really don'T have anybody as a manager. Yes you got paul Heyman, but he'S more of an advocate then a manager.

So i think it would be time to bring back manager to help some of the heels don'T need somebody to talk for them and get them over. Somebody like a dolph ziggler would benifit greatly from getting a mouth piece or even turn apollo crews heel and give him a manager.

I think that at this point it couldn'T hurt to go back to this.

It depends. You can't give random guys managers and expect it to work like it used to.

Brock Lesnar with Paul Heyman works for a reason. Brock is terrifying and can throw anyone around. Brock doesn't need to talk to work. Heyman is a bonus. Brock is already interesting. Heyman makes him better.

Jinder Mahal would not be interesting if Paul Heyman was managing him. Jinder Mahal just is not interesting in his current persona. Paul Heyman would not be able to do much just talking for Mahal. Heyman would become the focal point and Mahal would be a warm body. Apollo Crews would be in the same boat. Crews is just a strong dude who likes to smile. That isn't interesting. A manager would not fix that.

So i think it would be time to bring back manager to help some of the heels don'T need somebody to talk for them and get them over. Somebody like a dolph ziggler would benifit greatly from getting a mouth piece or even turn apollo crews heel and give him a manager.

I think that at this point it couldn'T hurt to go back to this.
the Manager role isnt dead. there's Lana, Maryse, Paul Heyman (you can call him an advocate and he is, but in WWE terms, it's the same thing), and the NXT Tag Team Champions has Paul Ellering.

like someone else said, the manager isnt going to save a guy's career if it's just a random guy. Curtis Axel and Cesaro had Heyman/Colter managing them and Heyman didnt do anything to help Cesaro and Axel. the best thing to do is give them a manager if they mesh well with the wrestler. Heyman and Lesnar works because Lesnar is a beast and Heyman helps sell his match by doing the mic work that Brock lacks.

you mentioned Ziggler as a manager canadiate, but i dont think he needs a manager, he can talk on the mic, his issue is 1) story and 2) his character hasnt changed besides the fact that he's a heel. he needs new music and a new look. A guy like Braun Strowman would do well with a manager because he's the monster and the manager would be the guy who helps sell the match.

As one poster said, it depends. For me though, i dont think many wrestlers need a manager because alot of these guys are fine talkers. if i'd give anyone a manager, i'd give Strowman one.

You need the right managers first... you can't give all of them Paul Heyman..

Cornette is a good choice to come back and I could see him doing well with certain talents like Jinder, Ziggler and Bobby Roode when he comes up to the main roster.

Other than that you need someone who can REALLY talk or enhance talents and those guys just aren't around at the moment.

Paige would be a good pick to be a manager for Jack Gallagher, do the whole Avengers/Austin Powers (60's) thing with her in the catsuit etc...

Enzo will probably end up more of a manager long term, but even NXT nixed a lot of the guys who could have been future managers like LeFort etc... The older guys aren't there and they just haven't allowed any new talents to develop in that role.

Managers work this way:

a) heel that can show in ring phsychology, work a crowd using his body, act as a heel but not a robot and has potential to become a big star, but can't talk on the mic or shouldn't talk on the mic.

b) a manager that will help that heel express himself.

Example: Undertaker. Great appearence, great in ring ability, but couldn't talk or shouldn't talk. Enter Brother Love and then Paul Bearer. Same goes for Brock Lesnar.

Managers dissapeared when WWE started using the foreign card too much with Khali, Umaga and Daivari. Also they started giving managers to people who didn't need them or people they were never willing to push in the first place.

Right now, Harper would benefit a lot from a manager. He's a guy that can go on his own but can't really talk.

Female managers is also something we haven't seen.

Managers are great! Bring them back but use them correctly.

Yes.
But they have to be trained just like the wrestlers. You have Heyman and Ellering, two of the best, have them train people on being managers in the performance center. Even use Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart etc.

It's funny that, although managers are usually used as mouthpieces, one of the most successful manager/wrestler combos were Elizabeth and Savage. She probably said 2 words and he was phenomenal on the mic. However, all of his biggest feuds had something to do with her. Whether it was Savage's jealousy or Elizabeth being threatened, she fueled his storylines with Steele, Honky, Hogan, Jake, Flair and was involved in WrestleMania moments like helping Dusty beat Macho @ VI or reuniting after the Warrior match @ VII.

Granted, the jealousy thing was apparently more real life than simply character, but this is an example where a manager was used for something other than a mouthpiece. HUGE angles and programs and, like I said, she hardly spoke a word.

Managers can also help bring heat to matches, as well as speak for those who aren't as good on the mic. The Heenan Family heat was mostly on the Brain himself. His stable were all heels and disliked themselves, but the real heat was on Heenan. Fuji and his salt-throwing and cane-using brought more heat than some of his wrestlers' antics. Jimmy Hart was one who didn't need to bring all of the heat on himself, but still did. He had talkers like Honky and the Nasty Boys, but still added to their heat with his tactics. And whether or not you believe Bret was ever good on the mic, he definitely wasn't when he was with Jimmy. These guys brought heat to heels simply by being associated with them.

I think the manager can--and should--bring a lot of creative and original ideas to the storylines. I hope the powers that be invest some time into developing some fresh ideas with managers.

They have managers, they're just terrified of the semantics of the name manager. Characters like Paul Heyman and Lana fulfill the role of the manager, they just lack the name.

Heyman is Lesnar's manager, they just refuse to call him that. The term advocate isn't inaccurate or false, in fact it's a lot closer to what a manager really does within the realm of wrestling.

In the kayfabe days, you were lead to believe that managers actually managed wrestlers. You believed that Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, or Heenan were actually backstage signing off on matches, politicing for title shots, or arranging travel plans for their clients. That isn't real.

We're now in this reality era, so what Paul Heyman does for Lesnar is advocate. He speaks in support of his client Brock Lesnar. That term is more true than saying Paul is his manager, because he's not.

This makes sense for Lesnar, as it would be bad for someone that's big outside WWE with corporate sponsors and etc. to show on TV that someone who isn't a manager or agent is Lesnar's manager or agent.

If wrestlers can't talk, they're paired with someone. The third guy in New Day usually acts as a manager outside the ring. The Authors of Pain are with Paul Ellering in NXT. James Ellsworth is essentially Carmella's manager.

Managers are alive and well in WWE, but now that we're post-kayfabe they don't really fit in that model. Any time someone struggles on the stick, they're going to get paired with someone. Del Rio had Ricardo and Zeb. Rodriguez is another example of a modern outside the box manager.

We're going to probably see differently named managers crop up, but we're never going to see WWE go out of their way to hire people, which is too bad. Look at what Lucha Underground has done with a great non-wrestling character like Dario Cueto.

Managers typically make up for deficiencies in wrestlers that otherwise would draw. The biggest draws never needed managers. Hogan, Austin, and Cena all didn't need managers to be the top draws in their days. Yes, Hogan had Hart for a bit and Stone Cold had Debra for a bit, but they were already household names as singles stars before that.

It's too bad, because a lot of guys could use someone in a manager or advocate role. Roman comes to mind. I've never been thrilled with Corbin's work on the stick, but that would blow the whole lone wolf thing they're forcing. Rollins isn't known for his promos either (see sparkle crotch).

Managers are here, the name has just changed to fit the times. We'll see them every time someone who can't talk gets a push. Hopefully Big Cass doesn't ditch Enzo when he's inevitably thrust into the main event based on height. The Authors are coming with Ellering, most likely next year or maybe late this one. Eric Young is coming with Sanity. Jericho would make an excellent advocate when he retires.

Managers work this way:

a) heel that can show in ring phsychology, work a crowd using his body, act as a heel but not a robot and has potential to become a big star, but can't talk on the mic or shouldn't talk on the mic.

b) a manager that will help that heel express himself.

Example: Undertaker. Great appearence, great in ring ability, but couldn't talk or shouldn't talk. Enter Brother Love and then Paul Bearer. Same goes for Brock Lesnar.

Managers dissapeared when WWE started using the foreign card too much with Khali, Umaga and Daivari. Also they started giving managers to people who didn't need them or people they were never willing to push in the first place.

Right now, Harper would benefit a lot from a manager. He's a guy that can go on his own but can't really talk.

Female managers is also something we haven't seen.

Managers are great! Bring them back but use them correctly.

I agree with almost everything. Except that Luke Harper can talk. I have seen it, and he actually cuts a decent promo. He just hasn't needed to as part of the Wyatt Family. I think there is something more there than I expected.

Like everything in Wrestling - to have a manager it would have to make sense. Bobby Heenan had the Heenan Family - which made sense because it was a stable of bad guys that all worked together and looked out for each other. Sensational Sheri was great as she added something to both Macho Man and Shawn Michaels characters when she was aligned to them. Other posters have already mentioned Paul Bearer and what he brought to the Undertaker (and later Kane). He even added a dimension to the Mankind character in 96. Jim Cornette was absolutely brilliant as a manager too - he was a great talker and everything he did made sense. He was a great heel manager in WWF in the 1990s and his work for Yoko and Owen against people like HBK was magic.

However, to bring back managers, they have to be able to add something. And the main problem there is they need to be able to talk well and agitate the crowds emotions. Paul Heyman is so effective as he probably writes his own promos for Lesnar. The WWE writers wouldn't be able to get a manager over with a crowed as they wouldn't know how to book it properly.

WWE should actually bring back more managers. I totally agree with it.

Paul Heyman has done a lot good to Brock Lesnar by being his mouthpiece. Same for Lana however she was used too much in Rusev's feuds.

Someone who's very good in the ring but lacks mic skills could gain a lot of advantages from having a manager. Like Heyman did for Cesaro but it wasn't successful due to his more impactful stint with Brock Lesnar.

You could make Bray Wyatt a special attraction as a manager of someone.

WWE should actually bring back more managers. I totally agree with it.

Paul Heyman has done a lot good to Brock Lesnar by being his mouthpiece. Same for Lana however she was used too much in Rusev's feuds.

Someone who's very good in the ring but lacks mic skills could gain a lot of advantages from having a manager. Like Heyman did for Cesaro but it wasn't successful due to his more impactful stint with Brock Lesnar.

You could make Bray Wyatt a special attraction as a manager of someone.

The traditional manager character can still work (although I agree with not using the "m" word) but has to be done sparingly.

There is a real danger of repetition with a manager character. It can lead to lazy booking. The face is going to be winning all along and then the manager is going to hit them with say...a megaphone...and the heel steals the victory. This was great back in the days when we all believed that the good guys were actually better and the bad guys could only win by cheating. Now, we've seen heels get clean wins and the fan base rejects the classic hero who becomes a superman and defeats both his opponent and his manager.

The advocate role that Paul Heyman plays is really good for today's wrestling. Or maybe Heyman is just that darn good. And apparently I like managers whose names start with H. Heenan, Heyman and Hart are my all-time favorites. Doesn't hurt going by the name Paul, either. Although, I liked Paul Bearer as Percy, too.

I think there's a lot of wrestlers on the roster right now that could actually transition to be great managers. Enzo would be a great mouthpiece for a heel Big Cass run while guys like Heath Slater and Titus could be good valets too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back