• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should WWE be Privately Owned?

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
The TV deal was relatively successful and the WWE Network is growing at a decent clip. If Vince McMahon didn't have to answer to impetuous investors at every turn, WWE would have probably been fine this week. Publicly traded companies have to be cautious, follow rules, and disclose financials. It just doesn't sound like Vince McMahon's cup of tea, or a recipe for innovation.

Do you think it would make sense for WWE to ever consider becoming privately owned again? Or is that just completely loco?

Knee-jerk reaction much? Stock takes a dive so now we're going to say the WWE should no longer be a publicly traded company?? That ship has sailed, theres no going back.

Yeah, I honestly don't see why it ever went public anyway.

I'm sure somebody knows more about the details than I do but the bulk of WWE's success was as a private company that could do whatever it wanted and could change direction if need be.

These days a change in direction or a lull in fan interest creates unnecessary chaos in the market and on the dirtsheets.

They have been doing fine but the pressure is on to grow more and faster as a public company I believe and Vince still does things his own way and on his own time to the dismay of investors.

Maybe he will wise up and pull off a massive buyback of stocks to put the company back private but that would take a lot of money.

Even though WWE is a publicly traded company, Vince McMahon owns somewhere in excess of 60% of all WWE stock and the McMahons have roughly 95% of the voting power within the company. So yes, while he does own explanations to stockholders and has to keep them apprised of the goings on, said stockholders can't exactly force Vince to do anything as far as hiring people, firing people, changing strategies, etc.

The only way in which Vince loses power or is no longer the majority shareholder would be if someone ponied up the dough to buy more stock than Vince himself. It'd take some serious money to do that. Even after taking such a huge hit in the past few days, WWE stock is still worth somewhere in the vicinity of $1 billion. Even if a major heavyweight like Ted Turner or Donald Trump wanted to oust Vince, that's still a helluva lot of money even for them. Turner's worth about $2.2 billion while Trump is worth $3.9, so while it's theoretically possible for them to swoop in and buy up WWE stock like it's candy to such a degree that they own more than Vince, it's too much of a risk. Roughly a quarter of Trump's wealth and nearly half of Turner's would have to be invested and that's just not gonna happen.

Being a publicly traded or privately owned company has had little to do with WWE's change of direction over the past decade or so. For instance, WWE was still TV-14 and a publicly traded company well into the 2000s. They were still doing some pretty raunchy stuff during the 2000s but, all in all, Vince is very much a PG oriented type of guy. The Attitude Era came about all in all as almost an act of desperation on Vince's part as it was such a radical departure from the more family oriented wrestling that was not only common when I was growing up but is also common today. For every CZW, there's a dozen other promotions that operate under the traditional format of wrestling being family friendly. As to why Vince took WWE public, I don't know really. When it comes to financial analysis on a corporate level, I'm just not all that well up to speed.

I don't look for WWE to go back to being privately owned. While the stock sinking as it did is certainly a big disappointment for them and a big loss, it's still not the end of the world. Stocks skyrocket and plummet all the time. If you ever flip it over to CNN for any length of time and see the numbers for the Dow Jones, S&P 500, etc. down in the lower right hand corner of the screen, those numbers are all over the place. The stock market is like being led blindfolded onto a roller coaster; you can't see where all the dips, rises and loops are, so it's damn hard to prepare for them because you don't know when they'll pop up. For instance, you may tune in this Monday and see the Dow Jones gain 150 points while it might drop 200 points by Tuesday, gain another 200 points on Wednesday & Thursday combined before plummeting another 200+ points on Friday.

The WWE going public in my opinion initially was a money grab. I believe it continues because the tax situation is favorable. I can see them going private again within the next 5 years to be honest, the network should provide all the revenue they need once it catches on...if it catches on

Knee-jerk reaction much? Stock takes a dive so now we're going to say the WWE should no longer be a publicly traded company?? That ship has sailed, theres no going back.

No, there's been plenty of instances of companies taken private. It's a very real possibility in the WWE's case, since the majority shareholder and vote holder is McMahon. The only person who would have a reason to take it private is McMahon.

It is just strange to me that a wrestling company would operate as a publicly traded company. Wrestling should not be subject to suit and tie stockholders who don't know squat about the industry. Wrestling fans and wrestling promoters beat to a different drum. The McMahons operate best when they can be the McMahons. But how can Vince McMahon move boldly forward with rampant Wall Street speculators hovering over his shoulder and SEC regs choking off the trademark promoter cadence?

It is totally knee jerk. WWE going public allowed Vince McMahon to increase his wealth and invest in other facets of business. That money went a long way in their WWE Network investment. Vince McMahon who (source: Forbes May 16/2014) owns 52% of the company was able to invest a great deal into his product and I am sure that going public increased the perceived value of the company. I imagine that when WWE Network reaches its goal in subscribers, stock will go up and depending on how high their subscriptions go will dictate how much more the stock increases.

One good thing about be publically traded is they can pull the whole bs the share holders storylines if they feel like it. other then that, id ike to see them back privatly owned so they can do more and if they wanted even go edgier. not saying they should, but they have more options if they didnt have stock holders to answer to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back